What would you do if money was no object?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by mrdobalina, 15th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Thats right. Society in general expects the share price to climb.

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I would buy several blocks in Mt Druitt. Tear all the houses down and build a huge theme park. I'd probably call it Boganland, but I'm not sure yet as the name Wonderland is most likely protected.

Tyler Durden likes this.
  3. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Lakes or Cotswolds sounds great (again!).

I don't have a real desire to do anything else specifically. But I'm thinking every day how my skills might be translatable, or expandable

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Start now! Get someone to come in for a couple of hours every week to do the basic housework.

That was one of my many part time jobs as a uni. student - don't know if students still do this sort of thing?

5. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

I love how well these two posts compliment one another @Gockie :D

Sonamic likes this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Having recently moved, I am trying to be minimalist. Pity the partner though.... we started with an empty garage (big enough for 3 cars!) And now all the edges are occupied with random stuff. He won't try to sell anything he owns and he buys things just in case he needs it in future. :(

Theres still an unopened and unused 30cm desk fan from maybe 2 years ago (I asked if I could use it for my airbnb... he said no. Because "its his". o_O)

There's also a wheeled child carrier for bicycle (cheap buy from Aldi!!) that he owns..... never been opened and never used. Plenty of other stuff too.

I resisted buying the vacuum cleaner for a fairly long while, but eventually bought it. And its being used!
    :) So anyway, what's with buying stuff and not using it?

I reckon just buy stuff as you need it...

Tyler Durden likes this.
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I realised on reflection recently, that in the last 20 years I have bought several things for the life I would like to lead.

Mostly from op shops etc and not excessively, but things like a pressure cooker, kenwood chef cake mixer, etc. Find it hard to resist a free gumtree bargain or refurb hard rubbish furniture project!

I haven't used some of these things much, and many of them have been in storage until recently. But it's like living near the beach; I may never go there, but I could if I wanted to!

Have had an almost unused bike in the shed for about 7 years. But with a job change recently, I am now using it every day to ride the 1.3 km to work!

Charlotte30 likes this.
  8. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I'd have lots of time for my familiy and hobbies. This would include stuff like:
    • Singing
    • Reading
    • Permaculture
    • World of warcraft
    • Contributing to open source projects
    • Exercise
    I would never be bored.

mrdobalina likes this.
  9. Jkat

Jkat Well-Known Member

I work as a social worker. I've just gotten a new job working in Orange and the District Manager of Sexual Assault Services and JIRT Strategies. But previously, I have always worked with children and families at different points in the child protection system.

10. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Awesome. It is wonderful that you are doing what you love and are passionate about.... AND making such a positive impact to people who are less fortunate.

Jkat likes this.
  11. chi.lam

chi.lam Well-Known Member

I'd probably do the following:
    - Travel & other hobbies
    - Spend more time with the kids
    - Help those less fortunate than I am (philanthropy)

mrdobalina likes this.
  12. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Ditto (but without the kids part). I often dream of what my day would be like when I'm FF.

There's a post somewhere in this ever-growing forum (in general discussion I think) by someone who has reached financial freedom and he spends time travelling around Australia, a regular overseas holiday and when not travelling, he's volunteering in local charities. This is how I would fill my days.

@mrdobalina has asked why some aren't doing this now. For me, (my excuse??) is because my days are filled with J.O.B, travelling and building towards my next IP. OK, I could make more time for other things but there is sleep required in there somewhere! (I would love to be a fly on the wall for a month or so of a 'successful' person as I'm sure they wouldn't be as inefficient with their time as I am!)

mrdobalina and legallyblonde like this.
  13. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I really want to travel and volunteer with animals! Whilst being careful to avoid dodgy volunteer tourism. I was thinking more along the lines of working with dugongs and turtles in northern Australia.
    However, once I am out if the accumulation phase I will hopefully do something similar formy J.O.B

mrdobalina likes this.
  14. mrdobalina

I get torn between building a stable financial platform first in order to do the things you want to do; vs not worrying about money to pursue your dreams, and the money will come if you are really passionate about what you are doing.

I'm not sure what I will teach my kids. Perhaps if I can help them to build a stable financial platform, then they can have the freedom to pursue their passions.

hobo likes this.
  15. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

I for one (and I'm sure many of us) are torn between 'living for today' vs. 'building for tomorrow' and finding the balance.

Last week, I was talking with a person who chooses to move jobs each 2 years. He's had a very interesting life and lives by the motto that money shouldn't drive you but you should do what you love each day. He is planning his next move.

He showed me 'the hero's journey' (google it). A majority of people are between steps 1 to 3. It's much more about 'adventure' and 'breaking free' but it could be a good approach to consider about changing mindsets from the usual 'I need x, then I will do y' (eg I need a passive income of $x, then I will do a,b,c) to making the plunge regardless of where you are in your journey.

mrdobalina likes this.
  16. mrdobalina

I think more and more people are taking that approach now, or at least seriously considering it. Especially when you get to a certain age (say late 30's plus), and you start to see people passing away for various reasons. Makes you ponder how short life is, particularly to be living a life you're not passionate about.

17. showtime94

showtime94 Well-Known Member

Travel the world , planning to either way

mrdobalina likes this.
  18. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

Learn stuff!!!!!
    I have an insatiable thirst for knowledge
    I'd learn language's
    Go to uni & study astronomy
    Fund stuff on living longer so I can live longer to learn more stuff :)

rizzle likes this.
  19. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

Actually I also forgot to add that I'd also like to be an anonymous benifactor. Sometimes I see good causes or defunded sport teams ( kids soccer group comes to mind ) that for the sake of 50k, could be helped.

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Prime Minister Leo. Would make sure NG stays forever :D:p