What would you do for a bathroom reno in an investment property?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Chabs, 1st Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

If there is an ensuite with a proper shower I don't mind as much but I would hate to use a shower/bath every day.

JenW likes this.
  2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

If there is minimal room (eg granny flat) do you go
    1. Shower over bath
    2. Shower (no tub)
    ?

3. SueA

SueA Well-Known Member

:)
    We just did a full ripout reno of bathroom in rental. Like you, only 1 bathroom so added a bath back in with shower over, originally took bath out many years ago. Looks fine, I should have moved bath taps to centre of bath as small statured people and kids may not reach around the fixed screen. Didn't, so had to go to a smaller fixed screen with pivot. Tenant says PITA as water comes out between pivot and screen. Also had to get mirror/vanity raised as builder was only 5 ft tall.:p

Attached Files:

Susan and JenW like this.
  4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I can tell you what I would NOT do for an IP bathroom reno - paint the tiles and/or bath. If it's done well, it looks okay for a while, but it's rarely ideal long term.

Chabs and JenW like this.
  5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We put our shower over our spa and it's fantastic. Absolutely love it - we made a double vanity in its place and the amount of space created is amazing.

We also painted the bath - it won't last forever but then I'll spend another $40 and do it again!

JenW likes this.
  6. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

They already exist. I used one in my PPOR laundry. Basins - Metro - Metro 35 Utility Basin

7. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Shower over bath isn't usually a deal breaker, but not having a bath for a young family usually is.
    Why are you renovating anyway? Is the bathroom in need of serious repairs?

If it were my $ I'd just get the tiles and grout professionally cleaned (~$200), paint the walls ($100 if DIY), maybe put in new taps and towel rails ($200 DIY) and maybe a new light/ceiling fan and be done with it.

If you're trying to attract tenants, I think you'd be better off dropping the rent and saving your capital for the next IP.

Just my 2c :)

wylie and JenW like this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Mould-resistant paint and ceiling white will cost more than $100

JenW likes this.
  9. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Small looking bathroom and half-tiled, I'd have thought a 1L tin of bathroom wall paint, and some primer. I didn't allow for ceiling. Unless the ceiling is mouldy or yellowed, then leave it.

JenW likes this.
  10. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the feedback everyone - it's much appreciated. We have to keep the bath, so I'm thinking we will go with the shower over bath scenario.

Phase2 - I agree with the 'spruce up' idea in theory. However, the entire place needs to be cleaned up - we knew this when we bought it. We inherited a long term tenant when we bought, but he is terminally ill and is going into high care shortly, so he is vacating. To rent the property out we need to sort out the whole lot, including the kitchen, laundry etc - it'll be the first reno since it was built 30+ years ago. We have a couple of months to get organised, so it should be relatively quick, if not painless.

Also, we both work full time, plus I teach the flute four nights a week, and we self-manage 11 properties, seven of which are self-contained medium term lets - so I'm not in a rush to pick up the next one :p

Phase2 and Perthguy like this.
  11. smator

smator Well-Known Member

What product did you use to paint the bath? How long has it lasted so far?

12. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I used the rustoleum product. I've used it before and it's great. Due to the size of the spa I should have used 2 pots and as such it's a little thin in spots and a bit imperfect, but you'd have to be looking very closely to notice.

13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

What would you do with this tini tiny one? There might be a need to rip them apart due to the hole on bathtub. I'm thinking to keep the layout the same, except maybe with nicer tiles (larger, not all white but neutral colour).
    Smaller vanity? and maybe slider door to make it feel a bit more spacious.

I'd love to make it a walk in shower, but it's a 4 bed 2 bath and some PCers already mentions that not having a tub is a deal breaker for many family :-/
    upload_2016-10-6_14-56-23.png

Attached Files:

14. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Hole in the bathtub?? Can probably be repaired, grout can be cleaned, the vanity is looking very tired though, but they're easily replaced especially if there is tiling behind it.

I'm a tight-wad though. I don't like spending big money on bathroom or kitchen renos unless the rooms are falling apart. If I was reno'ing to sell it might be a different story though. Depends on the market.

15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

It's a pretty bad hole, already tried to repair it and it leaked again within 2 weeks. I don't like spending money either, but if the hole cause then entire house to be wet (yes) and mouldy (yes) then I prefer a proper long term fix.

Phase2 likes this.
  16. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

There's quite a bit of debate about the practicalities of a shower bath combination in terms of space saving versus the easier to use individual shower. Personally I agree with you, having an individual shower in the bathroom is also significantly easier to clean!

Seriously though, if you don't have much choice but to have the shower screen included with the bath, the perks are pretty good too, its cheaper for one, and for tenants, they usually wouldn't have something like a shower bath in mind as a deal breaker. I think the only time that it might be a dealbreaker is if it were an older person who has mobility issues.

Its an EXTREMELY bad idea to just paint over, definitely agree with you there. I have seen too many examples of bathrooms where paint was used as a very lazy resurfacing method and it doesn't even look good when it is fresh, let alone in a few months or years down the line..

The funniest part is it only takes a few weeks until you do the first bathroom clean over the painted surfaces that they begin to erode to the chemicals (unless you're washing only with water). Its a cheap "fix" to resurface using only paint and have never seen a good example.

I'm a big fan of doing things right from the start as well. Unless you have no choice, its usually better to pass on the lazier method of small cosmetic reno because you're going to have to re-renovate downstream anyway, might as well save your time and the money.. and save up for the next reno. You can get the next investment property's bathroom reno done with much better bang for the buck. There's no sense in just spending a few $00's if it means that it will hold the look for a few weeks and then rot away.

Getting a bath, in general, is pretty important for attracting tenants for an investment property, especially if it is a home that families would typically want. Kids need baths!

Yep, there are work arounds if you want to get a bath tub just for a family. For example you can get really small bath tubs as little as around 1200mm wide. They fit into even the tightest spaces and they're a perfect size for kids. They're not comfortable for most adults (especially taller adults), but I'm pretty sure the vast majority won't use it or care.

Gingin, EN710 and Perthguy like this.
  17. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

A lot of hotels have showers over a bath.

One thing we have found is that it is ESSENTIAL to have properly installed grab rails for easy and safe entry and exit. Baths can be slippery at the best of times and soap and shampoo make them even more hazardous.
    Marg

EN710 likes this.
  18. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

I went no bath in the granny flat I'm doing at the minute. Figured the target demographic would be young couples or down sizers , not the family type dwelling one would think

19. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I'm the same, i look at target demographic.
    I use to think without a bathtub meant it wipes out any families with young babies.
    But after having kids, my perspective has changed a little.

I would actually go shower, but it make it larger (eg 1200~1500 x 900) space permitting with a hand shower that goes low enough to shower the infant.

When its actually time for a bath, I use one of these round flexi tubs instead. I can fill up water quickly and it uses less.
    Ezy Storage 60L Assorted Colours Flexi Storage Tub

I do have a bathtub, but it simply uses too much water.

EN710 and Gingin like this.
  20. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

After talking to one of the building, this is what I'm leaning towards - bigger shower so tenant can just bring their own tub...

Ideally I'd like the below, but I was told need to cut concrete to add additional drain :(
    upload_2016-11-7_12-46-23.png

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia