What would you consider walking distance?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Mogley, 2nd Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mogley

Mogley Member

Just curious when we talk about buying property that is walking distance to amenities - what are we really referring to?

For me, more than 10-12 minutes is the maximum in terms of proximity to public transport, local amenities such as grocery shopping etc.

If I wanted to just pop outside and grab a bite to eat or coffee - that distance reduces to less than 5 minutes (if such proximity was an influencing factor).

Real estate agents have a very inflated view of what is walking distance...

David_SYD likes this.
  2. Scyth

Scyth Active Member

Upto 1 km is walking distance

boganfromlogan and chylld like this.
  3. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

An old school kick scooter or electric scooter (non motorbike kind) can help cut down walking times. 20min would be my limit

chylld likes this.
  4. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I agree with 1km. Obviously you can walk further than that but that would be my limit for amenities like public transport or a grocery store that I would be using almost every day.

boganfromlogan likes this.
  5. willister

willister Well-Known Member

I'd consider for a train station:

0-500m: too close
    500m-700m: "Goldilocks" Zone
    700m-1.2km: OK, but a bit far.

legallyblonde likes this.
  6. fullylucky

fullylucky Well-Known Member

I think walking distance is within 1200m.

Anything over 1200m isn't.

boganfromlogan and legallyblonde like this.
  7. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

My own preference is 7 mins max (at leisurely pace) to transport, 10 mins max to other amenities. Note the focus on time (geography dependent e.g. sheer hill or flat), not distance (irrelevant).

legallyblonde and Jacque like this.
  8. Kasi

Kasi Active Member

For me, I tend to think walking distance is within 15 minutes.
    Anything up to an hour is 'walkable', but one would drive unless they needed the exercise.
    My perception relates to greater west Sydney suburbs.

9. radson

radson Well-Known Member

We just bought 1.2km from shops. At the very limit of what we considered was walkable for day to day stuff.

10. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

I'm with @Steven Ryan on this one- it's more about time taken not distance. We just moved house recently and being an 11min walk to transport and shops is ideal. Less train noise as outside of the 500m zone and far away enough not to have our street overtaken with commuter parking. There's always that "sweet spot" and we're very happy :D

Even more handy is the fine wines bottle shop is actually only 4 mins walk LOL :)

Angelina and Sackie like this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

27 steps to the facilities ;)

It used to be 800m to a station and 400m to a bus but nowadays we can be a little more tolerant.

theperthurbanist likes this.
  12. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

400m (5 min walk) to local shop or a bus stop; 800m (10 min walk) to activity centre or a train station is still the 'golden rule' in urban design/planning circles in WA.

In general the 'greater' the attraction, the farther people will walk.

In reality it is obviously highly variable depending on the individual, terrain, route quality, destination/facility, weather, etc, etc. Even psychological factors can play a part, such as the number of corners that have to be taken (more corners increases perceived distance) or being able to see your destination.

13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I like this part I have bolded. I completely agree with you on being able to see the destination and the number of corners! If I see it, I will move faster with anticipation.

Secondly, as an aside, as an airbnb guest, if you can see it, or know you are on the right street, or know all you have to do is walk through park "x", it is so much easier to walk along. But needing to use maps to navigate streets for people trying to find a place for the first time... no fun. Lots of international airbnb guests don't have data on their phones and trying to find addresses by taking local transport can be difficult! So once you hit the right street, and can see the building, lots of stress is relieved.

Last edited: 13th Jun, 2017
  14. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

For most people it's more a bout walking "time" - not distance....everyone is in a hurry.

So; 10 mins walking time would cover most folks?

legallyblonde likes this.
  15. Mogley

Mogley Member

Great responses. To add to this I will definitely walk further in the morning to get to a train station (would go up to 15 mins) for the commute into work than I would on the way home, especially if it is winter.

If it is raining or extremely hot, walking tolerance also decreases significantly and the local bus stop (longer commute time) becomes more attractive.

Kassy and Phase2 like this.
  16. Candlebark

Candlebark Well-Known Member

I walk a flatish 22 min to the train station and shops. But it's a beautiful walk in an outer suburb along quiet leafy streets. I much prefer it to the 10min walk along the busy road covered in rubbbish where I used to live closer to the City. Alternatively I can cycle in safety, and make the trip in 6 mins. So I'd say that the amenity factor also needs to be considered as a trade-off against distance.

theperthurbanist likes this.
  17. Karlos1234

Karlos1234 Well-Known Member

I believe up to (and including) 500 m is a short walk and more than that up to ( and again including) 1000 m can be categorised as walking distance.

18. Kevin Klien

Kevin Klien Member

yes, probably 10 minutes of leisurely walk (not brisk) would be considered walking distance.

19. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I agree. Climate has to be taken into account. Waking up to a stinking hot/humid morning greatly decreases the distance you're prepared to walk outside... same for cold/windy/wet..

When the weather is nice, 10mins is an easy everyday walk. 15 would be ok if it were a pleasant/safe walk.

20. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Yes.... acceptable walking distance in FNQ is only about 15m (to my car)...

Phase2 likes this.