What would you buy with budget of 1m

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Hei, 31st Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hei

Hei Member

Hi
    Seeking your advice on a potential next IP purchase with budget of 1m, the objective of this purchase is for higher capital return with close to neutral cash flow, will hold medium to long term.

here are few options we are contemplating
    1. Somewhere in QLD within 10km of CBD
    2. Regional NSW ie orange or central coast
    Buy a block to subdivide and build duplex( this option will probably exceed the budget of 1m)
    3. Buy 2 x 500k properties ( this will likely to be SA or / and WA as I think we are priced out of VIC/NSW/QLD <30km CBD

What would you do if we are chasing capital growth

2. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Option 1
    Not advice

Last edited: 31st Aug, 2021
    PinkPanther likes this.
  3. Kevbo

Kevbo Well-Known Member

2X $500k is a great idea due to the diversification; however, with stamp duty and other transaction costs you need to consider whether that is feasible.

craigc likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Forget subdiving and duplex. I would be looking at a freestanding house in Sydney. Sure it wont be a prestige blue ribbon suburb.

If you chase affordability its QLD but you will lose growth potential and many areas of QLD are cookie cutter with more being built so it hampers growth long term with abundant supply. A established area perhaps within 20km. Regional is hard to pick and can be influenced by factors you will not know and many people chase regional for the affordability by mistake. Areas outside Sydney with decent proximity can be good eg south coast eg Shoalhaven, Kiama, Gosford etc. Blue Mountains less so.