What would you buy for 5 mil ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Ace in the Hole, 15th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 2927

2927 Well-Known Member

Don't forget, NZ also has a few goldmines as well. Pub / Hotels are good to get into, as are Caravan Parks. NZ is also close for a holiday (if you have time for one) snow skiing, water sports etc and is starting to become a tourist mecca, South Island especially. You generally have a few options available, ie; leasehold or freehold. Setup of Business or Company registration is mandatory as is a TFN. You dont have to reside there to operate.

2. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Not sure - $5m doesn't get as much as it used to any more. Perhaps an opportunistic CBD/inner city high rise development site, if you are lucky.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Knowing what I know now I would be targeting commercial in USA? minimum 10%+ yields, probably wont need to spend $5M.

Last edited: 27th Aug, 2017
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I assumed from previous posts that you were clearing $300K gross (passively) from your IPs with bugger all LVR and no PPOR debt. Would've thought that was enough (to do nothing)?

I understand the concept of learning more and expanding your horizons etc but perhaps its time to answer the 'how much is enough' question, and will another $100-200K make you any happier.

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Cant speak for the OP.....................

Had this same discussion right now with some mentees, coz I get that question a lot.

Personally, it comes down to focus and a more global view. The need out there is much more than I can ever produce...........

Whats right for me isnt whats right for some one else.

ta

rolf

6. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

This post is over 2 years old and we still haven't bought anything, in fact, haven't bought anything for over 6 years, so we are not rushing in to make as much money as fast as possible at all.

We certainly do have enough "to do nothing", but doing nothing would be boring and unfulfilling.

More money may not bring more happiness, but it will provide more options and opportunity moving forward.

If making more money at this stage required sacrifices in quality of life, then I would not persue it, but buying a commercial property or other passive asset is a one off transaction requiring very little work.

adam duckworth and Perthguy like this.
  7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Well you sound you've very hard to build your biz from scratch and perhaps its time to smell the roses now and follow your heart whether it makes money or not - regardless of what it is. That was the point I was trying to make.

A $5m commercial property will possibly give you say, $30-40K pa net cashflow max let's say (if it wasn't a risky commercial vehicle eg a prime positioned freehold warehouse in say, Marrickville).

Might be a go-er for someone starved of cashflow but equity rich....and possibly be of less utility to someone in your position (who already has both).

8. Ace in the Hole

Can't happen soon enough...
    Got 27 more days of work to go then free to do what I want when I want.
    Investing is just a hobby for me.
    Don't have money on my mind and have not had for years now.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You're figures are a shade low - 70% loan is $3,500,000. 6% nett return is $300k and i/o loan is $210,000

At the least there's $70-90k to play with.

10. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi @Ace in the Hole - loads of good posts above I won't repeat. Because this is a fun post here are several brief observations with things I would consider were I looking to spend $5m for a decent CF return.

1 - The only part of Sydney that would interest me would be something near the proposed airport.
    2 - SEQ particularly near the best infrastructure nodes would get a close look too (ie Coolangatta or along the GC/Bris corridor.
    3 - In light of changing workplaces, shopping habits and robot everything I think flexible zoning light to medium/ warehousing industrial sheds near fantastic transport would get my focus above retail or office space for the coming decade or 2.
    4 - For a way out of left field option have you considered agricultural? Has drought risks of course but solid income plus hefty CG plus subdivision opportunities can make a few thousand acres of productive land managed well an attractive option.

11. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

Good post BA !

Do you have clients looking at Ag properties with a view to value add , change use , subdivide etc ?

12. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

A current client is looking at pure buy and hold, I am showing them blocks with subdivision options so they have more exit strategies but they are probably long term.

13. Ace in the Hole

Settling next week.
    Free standing warehouse with yard space local to us.
    Yield is nothing special, but it was convenient and have a tenant signed up for a 5+3 when the current lease expires soon.

This is the most stressed I've ever felt before over a purchase because left the finance a bit late.
    Not super stressed, but it has my full attention at the moment as we have to settle this before finance is approved to avoid hefty delayed settlement costs.
    A bit of drama makes it interesting anyway.

14. MorganHB

MorganHB Well-Known Member

Definitely get your banker or broker to escalate everything on the finance side!!! hopefully all the fees don't add up too much mate!

15. Ace in the Hole

We’re actually setting first to avoid the late settlement penalties.
    Thank god for offsets.
    Once finance is cleared we will be paid back rather than the vendor.
    Didn’t want to do it this way but account worked out a way that won’t cause tax issues later.

16. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

Thread is quite old now but this seems interesting .

Quality agricultural land with multiple titles and potential subdivision and CG . No one is much interested in this asset class on PC but some of our wealthiest citizens certainly are !

17. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Sounds good, out of curiosity what was the net yield on that purchase, including taking out the 5.5% agent fees & the interest rate on the leveraged part of it?

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

WTF - I know plenty of serious investors who don't touch residential property. Why? Higher land value and land tax liability vs commercial with low LV, higher net rental.

sanj likes this.
  19. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Hi

Very naive comment, you would be surprised what some us have done, are doing and are intending to do.

Regards,

alicudi

20. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

I hear not long now until your new Tennant moves in Ace ? :)