Entertainment & Music What videogames are you playing?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Zoolander, 30th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. charttv

charttv Well-Known Member

recently got a retropie. Revisiting a lot of classics from the past on a multitude of emulators

Biz likes this.
  2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Was going to pick one of those up. Do you find there is much input lag on an lcd/led tv?

3. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

• AOE II
    • Rust
    • BF1
    • Overwatch
    • CS:GO

Brady and gman65 like this.
  4. andrew_t

andrew_t Well-Known Member

FIFA on Xbox is my "zone out" game

5. charttv

charttv Well-Known Member

i haven't noticed any.

6. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

You can currently get all 17 C&C games, including RA2 and Generals, for just $A4.99 from Origin online here https://www.origin.com/aus/en-us/st...r-the-ultimate-collection/ultimate-collection

Since I retired, I game (PC) a lot more now. My current games suite includes Titanfall 2, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Walking Dead series, Alan Wake, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series, Alien Isolation, Sniper Elite series, and Crysis 3.

gman65 likes this.
  7. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

Just watched the trailer - looks great, like a combination of Civ, the early WOW games, and SimCity. Might have to indulge myself with a late Christmas present. Only $20?!

I liked 3, 4 was OK, but 5 is great. There are still a couple of things not quite perfect, (eg, your culture can't steal territory from other Civs) and I'm hoping they have fixed these in Civ VI. I'm waiting for it to come on sale (currently only 10% off on Steam)

bob shovel and Perthguy like this.
  8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You have been warned - I will not be held responsible for any relationship, work, health or other issues that playing this game might bring you :p

bob shovel likes this.
  9. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Bit of Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Rise of Tomb Raider Anniversary, CS:GO and Metro 2033 ..Damn sales! too many games now, probably won't even finish most of them. Got a great habit of finishing 3/4 of most games then never playing them again :).

Got stuck into AOE2 of all things over the holidays which took up most of my time.. Would love to get Civ VI but not sure I want to lose that many hours!

I have 3 months to finish all three Mass Effect games before Andromeda so I shall be quite busy :eek: I did finish the first one years ago, but I think I need to replay it through, before moving through the rest.

HomePage and Perthguy like this.
  10. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of C&C games. Played Red Alert, AoE 1 & 2, WoW, StarCraft 1 during Uni time (20 yrs ago). My favourite was StarCraft. Recently, I bought the SC2 set and almost finishing at the end now :)

Getting addicted is the biggest issue... But then, if that is what makes me happy.. why not?

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

NHL 2017.....

12. Simon Hampel

It's only a problem if it doesn't negatively affect other important areas of your life.

13. chi.lam

chi.lam Well-Known Member

Was a gamer all through high school, uni and my younger years. Much less these days with kids and family. But I've been playing Hearthstone fairly regularly for the past 6 months. Deceptively simple game but very addictive. Also play a bit of CS:GO and Team Fortress 2. Started playing Heroes of the Storm (Free to Play with optional in-game purchases) to try out the MOBA genre. It's kinda like Diablo without the many hours of grinding and you get to play heroes from different Blizzard games.

Oh and Mass Effect 2 is free on https://www.origin.com right now. Just sign up, go to the "On the House" section and it's yours, absolutely free to download and play.

wobbycarly likes this.
  14. wobbycarly

Damn you @Simon Hampel! But you did warn me! :)

Actually, I wouldn't say I'm addicted, but I have spent a looooot of time on this game. Even watched the "world record" sub 2 hour speed run - in full - on youtube. Picked up a few tips.

15. Simon Hampel

Yes, I watched that the other day. Quite interesting - but remember he was going for outright speed which involves quite a few compromises where build time is chosen over optimal design, so for a normal run-through, you wouldn't necessarily take the same approach.

But yes, I studied how he did a few things and picked up a few tips too.

What gets me is that there are almost an infinite number of designs you could use - each with their own strengths and weaknesses - so once you get through it once, you want to start again straight away to try something different to see if you can get around some of the things that bugged you on the previous run.

I'm up to 246 hours played and have unlocked 18 of the 38 achievements :eek:

16. Simon Hampel

One time I may go for a huge factory and see how much of the map I can use.

I read somewhere that the large map is so large that if you had a train running at full speed (and they are fast!), it would take over 4 days (4 of OUR days ... ie 96+ hours) to cross the width of the map :eek: :eek: :eek:

wobbycarly likes this.
  17. wobbycarly

:eek::eek: No ... way!! I tend to try and be abstemious with my use of space (too much influence from other games like Caesar and Pharaoh) so I struggle with the concept of an almost infinite map.

18. Simon Hampel

I found myself rebuilding large portions of my factory every game because I kept running out of space and was getting frustrated trying to squeeze everything in - so my latest one is very spread out.

I even considered designing a factory based around single-purpose stand-alone factories, each optimised to maximise the throughput of whatever they are producing - with raw resources arriving in bulk by train and finished products shipped out by another train to a central distribution hub.

Of course, the more spread out things are, the longer it takes you to get around - especially before you have the power armour and can fit some exo-skeletons which really speed up running. I've recently discovered the wonders of concrete, so have started laying concrete paths along my prime running paths to speed things up.

I should really get more mathematical about my factory design - there is an optimal design for throughput based on the conveyor speed and the input/output speed of various smelters and assembling machines.

Having machines sit idle because they have run out of resources or because they don't have room to output the finished product is so frustrating. Must. Optimise. Everything.

wobbycarly likes this.
  19. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Bought an xbox for my kids but games are just too complex and unusable for kids under 10, so it's now a paperweight. So no computer games here, we go to the park instead.

20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Still playing COD MW2 in 2017!

unwillingwillis likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.