What tradie to remove inbuilt heater from wall?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by theperthurbanist, 20th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Lol, that was on telly last night ;)

The other box behind the A/C is prob the motor etc.

Post pics of whats out there so we can give better advice, including anything running through the wall like cables, where they go etc.

theperthurbanist and Perthguy like this.
  2. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

Hmm I don't seem to have any photos on hand of the exterior. I'll hunt around tomorrow and have a look.

All very helpful responses so far guys. Thanks heaps and by all means keep them coming!

Perthguy likes this.
  3. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

Fire place heater is an old oil (diesel) heater, that probably has been converted to gas .
    conversions like that where popular in the 80s . a lot of guys would advertise free removal of the old oil tanks , mounted on the side of the house. Of course they would keep the oil :p

if its gas you will need a gasfitter to terminate the gas line
    if it hasn't been converted and is still oil , anyone can do it

there will be a flue running up through the roof , so that will need to be removed

4. theperthurbanist

So I was out at the property today and did a bit more exploring: I couldn't for the life of me work out how to 'pull out' the Vulcan heater. Didn't seem to be any obvious screws or latches and a good tug didn't budge it much. Might have to get on google.

See attached photo of the outside component of the Vulcan. Unfortunately there was no real way of opening the casing up without removing the whole thing from the wall (which im hoping not to do, as the easiest solution will be to leave the outside unit and flue in place and just remove the heater unit). So no closer to knowing if it is gas or oil. If I knew it was the latter I would attempt to remove myself, the former and I'll get a tradie in to remove.

Attached Files:

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

That's not what I expected to see, in the corner like that, where's the back of the other unit?

Curious what that pipe is running up the wall, does the place have solar hot water, if so it could be a water pipe running too/from it.

I can see wall plugs holding that unit to the wall, if you want to leave it there it will look a bit odd but up to you, plus ob don't have to worry about filling it.
    The heater should slide out the front of that, into the lounge (or whatever it is) prob a couple of screws holding it against the wall/unit, prob hidden behind some plastic cover, have a hunt around or just pull/break it out and the rest should make sense.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Depending how it was installed (anal installers) there "could be" a screw or two holding the heater into that box in the pic, or to the face of it inside behind the plastic face cover.

However, either way removing the heater from the box is much like removing a wall unit air conditioner.

7. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

What area's the property in, can I get access, hidden key?

Depending that, if ya need I might be able to swing past during the week sometime and have a better look for ya.

PM the details if ya like.

8. theperthurbanist

Very kind of you to offer @WestOz . The property is in Bayswater and I will be out there most of Saturday if you were in the area and fancied taking a look ;)

9. theperthurbanist

So i managed to remove the cover from the other unit (photo below). Basically just a big hole in the wall that goes through to the unit on the outside.

I do have spare bricks for the place, but as with the other unit (only perhaps even more so in this case) it will certainly save me a lot of time, effort and money to leave the outside unit there and just plaster up the inside wall. Both units are not highly visible from the front of the house. What do you guys recon? Is that a smart thing to do to avoid overspending on the reno or is it a dodgy move that I will regret down the track (tho I am assuming I can just remove and rebuild the outer wall units at a later date if I want)?

Attached Files:

10. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

What I meant, I'll be up through that area one day during the week for work, not sure which one yet, but when I did I could quickly drop by, grab a hidden key, have a quick look, let you know what I think.
    Bit of a trip from Mandurah otherwise just to do that on a Sat, takes me away from my own reno time.

I'm guessing this unit isn't working? (any idea why not, might be a cheap fix)
    As mentioned in earlier post all that can be left alone, just cover over.
    Did you check out fuse/mains supply in power box?

Depends how to looks to perspective tenants, what you want/expect from the IP, type of tenant, rent val etc.
    Look at it as if your a seeing it for the first time, hows it look to you?
    Certainly avoids time and spending leaving it out there but we'd need to see a decent pic of the house/area from way back to asses how much it stands out, looks dodgy or not.

11. theperthurbanist

So for a bit of an update/confirmation: having spoken to a few tradies it sounds like plumber's are the typical trade who remove heaters (gas or oil), though not all will undertake this work. Some handymen may do it also (given it can be done DIY as has been mentioned above) but if gas they will typically need a plumber to seal it off anyway so you are doubling your call out. The quote I got for removal, camping gass and making good roof (but not bricking rear wall) was $150.

I looked at DIY removal but after I couldn't get it to budge without committing to removing the rear casing $150 seemed like an easy way to save some time and effort when I would have to pay someone to come out and cap the gas anyway.

The AC wall unit is an easy removal (internal) and just needs an electrician to 'make good' the wiring.

Both units need to be bricked up externally if I decide to go down that path (rather than leaving the unit/casing on the external wall to save money).

Perthguy likes this.
  12. theperthurbanist

FYI most painters I have spoken to are happy to fill in the AC wall void with plasterboard before painting.

As for the fireplace/heater void I will wait till the unit is removed and see how that looks.

13. theperthurbanist

Both external units are largely obscured, so I'm not too concerned about the aesthetics of leaving them in place. It was more my hesitation to 'leave the job half done' and wondering if there were any structural or security concerns to leaving just the unit on. Better ways to spend the $$ to impress prospective tenants though I think.

14. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

$150 seems a good price for all that.

If u want to remove the external box,use some treated pine batons to make up a recessed frame in the hole, attach a piece of fibro with clouts so it's flush with the brick work, give it a couple of coats of paint.

theperthurbanist likes this.