What tradie to remove inbuilt heater from wall?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by theperthurbanist, 20th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

IMG_6991.JPG IMG_6995.JPG Hi guys,

So as part of my IP renno I am planning on removing two in-built heating/cooling units; one built into the wall and the other built into the fireplace (though I think this so called fireplace has actually always had a heater in it). Photos below. Both units also have components outside (which I don't nescessarily need removed, but would be inclined to for the sake of completeness).

My question is who the heck do I call to get a quote to remove them? A handyman? Electrician? Builder?

I'm guessing there will be plastering and possibly building up the cavity with bricks (the house is double brick), but tbh I have no idea.

I am also painting soon so figure i should get this work done asap before the paint.

Any thoughts welcome! Thanks.

2. theperthurbanist

@Perthguy I think I recall that you removed one of these 'fireplace' heaters at your IP? Is that right or did I imagine that?

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I had an old fireplace that I decommissioned. Nothing had to be removed though. I just gyprocked over it.

Not sure who you need to call. Handy man and electrician?

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Sparky to disconnect and make safe the power supply (you might get him to install a gpo in its place).

DIY or handyman can remove once it's made safe.

How are you going to fill the hole? Brick or framing?

5. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

You will need a plumber to decommission the fireplace and cap gas line.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  6. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Send the pics to the sparky and plumber and they will tell you right away :)

Last edited: 20th Feb, 2017
    wylie and theperthurbanist like this.
  7. theperthurbanist

That's the question! For the unit directly in the wall I figure it will look best filled in, but depending on what is cheapest I'm open to any ideas! As for the fireplace i always like when it becomes a 'feature cavity' that you can put something in, but again, it depends what is the simplest cheapest solution.

8. theperthurbanist

Interesting- I had figured because the fire place heater had a loose power cord coming out the front (see photo) it was electric not gas, bit I suppose that could just be for the igniter?

That aside, would a typical heating/cooling unit like the wall mounted one be gas or electrical only?

9. theperthurbanist

Ahh yes that rings a bell - I think I recall seeing the gyproc 'cover'. Did you opt for that as it was the easiest solution or due to aesthetic preferences?

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe you will need 3 trades ,start with the sparky make it all safe ,then plumber,then depending the way the load is set above the fire-place and the vents then just reframe the area and re-sheet ..Also if that is a cedar fireplace try and keep it in one piece as i see those type of old fire-places fronts at antique auctions go above 300 bucks..imho..

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Depending on the flow and layout of furniture, I'd keep the fireplace surround (if it suits the rest of the house), and fill it with logs for a focal point. You don't have to spend a penny inside the room and keep what I think is a real feature decor-wise.

fireplaces-the-love-shack1.jpg

Gockie likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

theperthurbanist likes this.
  13. Perthguy

It was in a brick Veneer house so Gyprock seemed logical

14. Perthguy

It's not a gas heater its an oil heater. There will be a large fuel tank outside somewhere. Perhaps a plumber is required to decommission that? I don't know

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Why would it be more a termite motel than the chair beside it? I suppose you could bring them in with the timber, but choose the timber well and you are fine.

Or if you are worried, don't choose timber. Choose something else.

5-Suitcases.jpg images-2.jpeg

Lemmy a fiver, Phase2 and Phantom like this.
  16. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Can't exactly tell from the pic but guessing the fire place is gas. The power cord will run igniter and fan.
    Either-way, gas or oil, the unit "may" have a couple of screws holding it in there but should just slide out, then guessing you should see a flexible line plugged into the supply line which either has a twist plug with a shut off valve in it, or a tap (sim to an upright gas stove).
    If threaded in you'll have to shut off the main, undo line, insert a plug with gas thread tape, turn main back on, check for leaks with soapy water.

With the A/C, (guess its not working otherwise I'd leave it), whats it look like from the outside?
    Depends how its power fed, wattage etc, could be simply plugged into a waterproof plug on the external side of the wall, or possibly direct fed via a separate/independent fuse in the power box (guessing the place is old enough for ceramic fuses, safety switches running second), pull the fuse, take the fuse wire out of it (incl screws), put the fuse back in, it should now have no power.
    That brown cover should simply pop out/off, see if the unit is then countersunk into the wall enough so you gyprock over it, if not see if you can manipulate it to, otherwise its a removal job, which I guess also leaves a big hole in the external wall.
    The controller unit is prob being held onto the wall with brackets, or the front cover comes off so you can access the screws holding it to the wall. The controller cord will run back to the main unit, cut it and pull it though, patch & paint.

Can't see the room layout but another option could be to simply build (or buy) and attach a bookshelf to wall covering it.

17. theperthurbanist

Is that the fireplace heater or the wall unit you are referring to @Perthguy ?

There is a relatively small (750 x 750 approx) metal box outside behind the fireplace heater, and a larger (2000 x 50?) metal box behind the wall unit. No idea what is inside either though!

18. Perthguy

I was referring to the fire place heater. It's an old Vulcan. There is a tank outside that should have a screw top with a gauge to see if there is any oil left. It will look something like this:

[​IMG]

Here is a thread in another forum about how to remove

Removal of oil heater

and Somersoft

Removing old oil heater, anything I should know?

Someone is trying to sell one of those old Vulcans on gumtree

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lobe...-oil-heater-with-flue-and-oil-tank/1138932009

WestOz and theperthurbanist like this.
  19. theperthurbanist

$500! Sweet. Good to know.

20. Perthguy

I think he's dreaming! Best to check out local prices. It may be worth nothing