QLD What to sacrifice .. house or location

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Fee76, 15th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Fee76

Fee76 Member

We are currently looking at a property at Cedar Vale QLD. It’s the perfect location however we are unsure about the house. It’s on 5 acres, lots of fruit trees, 22 solar panels, shed for 4 cars, 2 dams. Can’t see the neighbours on either side of us and across the road are views over the hills and dairy farm all the way to the great dividing range. It’s peaceful and beautiful.

However the house on it looks like it’s a relocatable home. Three bedroom, one bathroom, deck along front and large deck overlooking fruit orchard out the back, it’s clean and neat and tidy, new floors, kitchen and paint. But it is very small, bedrooms are very small and it lacks character. It’s just a very simple small house.

They are looking at prices over $660k as there is already two offers on it so we would need to at least offer $665. Do we sacrifice the house for the perfect location and outdoor lifestyle or sacrifice the location in hope we find the perfect house. Or at least one that ticks more boxes.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

14-22 Barnes Road, Cedar Vale, Qld 4285

2. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

With lifestyle-type properties I think the block and location are more important as the perfect one can be hard to find. What else comparable has come up? Do you think it’s feasible for the perfect place to pop up? Can you do an extension to the house? How much space to you really need?

ChrisP73 and Fee76 like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Location is hard to replicate. A house gets old and you can replace it later.

The Y-man

Stoffo and Fee76 like this.
  4. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

I think Ur investment is better if its mainly land that Ur paying for.

The search for perfection is tricky just now.

The only downside I can see is that building costs are high ATM, but I am not sure that is enough of a reason to delay.

Cedar Vale is a hidden gem.

Jump in!

Fee76 and Firefly99 like this.
  5. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

Neither, you could easliy get another relocatable home or 2 , put it adjacent to the existing one , you can buy them for as liitle as 18k depending on size finish and fittings, just need to put a roof over the gap add a little decking, fill in the ends even a bit of canvas , plastic or blinds might do. You could have a nice cool area in the middle with lush plants. Ideally you would pick up and re-orientate the existing building as it is poorly orientated . You could very cheaply tripple the size of the house to a size that would cost halve the cost of the land if you had to build a standard house from scratch. You are only limited by your imagination.

TAJ, boganfromlogan and Fee76 like this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Location is the one thing you can never change without selling.

A house can be altered, or removed and rebuilt (unless heritage orders etc apply).

Stoffo and wylie like this.
  7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Listing showing price of $679K.

8. Fee76

Fee76 Member

Thank you everyone for your replies and advice. I definitely feel like location seems to be key. We haven’t found anything that’s peaked out interest like this. We are thinking we can extend on to make it a little bigger or even eventually sell the house as is and buy another relocation home as we love some of the older homes with stumps etc which are surprisingly so cheap.

ozwanderlust and wylie like this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm also in the camp of buying for location and grow (or replace) the house if you really want to.

Just be aware moving a house onto the block is not a cheap option. It is likely cheaper than building, but possibly not.

Marg4000 likes this.
  10. Fee76

Fee76 Member

oh really? They seem so cheap to relocate. Obviously not including power and plumbing. The other option is to add on an extension. Which would be a main bedroom and ensuite as the current three bedrooms are extremely small.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You'd need to bring any house up to code. My understanding is relocating basic price means stumped (low stumps too - extra for taller ones) and rejoined. You'd need plans and permits, but that would be required to add to the existing house too.

12. Fee76

Fee76 Member

Yes for sure! Definitely something we would do in the future and not straight away.

13. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Perhaps think of the House - Location situation as a scale to compromise along rather than a mere sacrifice.
    Find your sweet spot along it.

I've traditionally gone all in on location but to be honest I'm finding that mantra over rated.
    Few would argue that a luxurious and functional house in the boondocks is a nicer day to day existence than a 100+ year old character house in the city when one ignores convenience (which is defined by each person differently).

Agreed that location can't be changed, but if you cant afford to reno/build what you want then it's purely academic to say that 'the house can be changed but the location can't'.

14. Fee76

Fee76 Member

By location I mean the land that the house sits on. The beautiful views across the hills and farm land, the lovely fruit trees scattered throughout the yard, the four bay shed that is a must for us, the added bonus of four water tanks and 22 solar panels and no neighbors!