What to put in my Airbnb ?

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Terrychris, 20th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terrychris

Terrychris Well-Known Member

Just getting one of my older Studio flats in Sydneys Kings Cross into a clean state ready to Rent out to Airbnb

It has a double bed plus a sofa lounge so hoping to get $300 a night during Mardi Gras.

My questions however are , what do i need to provide apart from bed , linen ,pillows,, cutlery a few pots and frying pan and plates and cups , towels , toilet paper , liquid soap

Do i really need to provide coffee/ tea satchels, sugar , what about milk should i bother ?

Salt or pepper ? Bottled water ??

2. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    One word: hummus.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Parking
    Barista
    24 hour valet
    All hours chemist
    Fluffy pillows
    Mini baa
    Tea/coffee/300ml milk - might cost $10, add it to the room charge.

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I'd provide coffee/ tea, sugar and salt but maybe not milk as they go off quite quickly. Bottled water would be great (one of the first thing I look for when arriving in hotel but not sure abput airbnb). Just a cheap one should do.

5. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Lots of extra pillows.

pinkboy

Scott No Mates and VB King like this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

At least Include a box of that long life milk. Sure, it's dreadful, but better than nothing if guests want to make tea or coffee as soon as they arrive. Always the first thing I do.

If you are servicing the studio yourself, why not fresh milk in the fridge?

Bottle or two of water a good idea.
    Marg

Lollie likes this.
  7. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I have stayed in half a dozen Airbnbs and I was annoyed when I arrived at one in Barcelona with a fully equipped kitchen and realised that I had to go and buy salt, pepper, oil, butter and dish washing stuff. I realised when we left that the cleaner was taking all the stuff that guests provided.
    I leave all of the above in my Airbnb, along with Vegemite, of course, and milk. If people are coming for a long stay, I also leave eggs and bread. None of it costs much.
    Oh, and leave more toilet paper than you think could ever be needed.

Lollie, Heinz57, sanj and 2 others like this.
  8. Terrychris

Terrychris Well-Known Member

Im hoping people use the thiusands of Cafes and eateries around Kings Cross rather than cook in my small Apartment.

I might buy a few sugar satchels and tea bags but i wont buy oil , people will steal the salt and pepper .

I dont want to spend a lot unless im making money

9. Scott No Mates

Go to a cafè and grab a few sachets with your smashed avo.

DaveM and bob shovel like this.
  10. Depreciator

If you're not planning to put that stuff in the flat, I'm not sure why you asked the question.
    Don't forget the importance of reviews on Airbnb. When people have a good experience, that is reflected in their review. And in an area where you have lots of competition, good reviews are critical.

wylie likes this.
  11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

bottle of passion pop to get the partay started
    frozen meals
    salt, pepper, tea, coffee, long life milk poppers
    phone chargers
    map of the area and tourist brochures
    wtf is an opal card and do visitors need one to get around??

12. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

I would definitely include tea, coffee, sugar, milk and bread. I have started including muesli (in a jar) also. You'd be surprised how much people value these things and I always get comments on them appreciating the breakfast. In my old airbnb I had english muffins in the freezer- that way if someone didn't eat them they didn't go to waste.
    We didn't include salt and pepper at the beginning (to be honest, didn't even think of it) but someone actually made a comment in the (private) feedback so we added it.
    Also, i would recommend including basic shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc. Once again, something that doesn't cost much, people won't use much (and I have no experience of people taking it) but people appreciate it and comment on it- better reviews, higher stars, means more bookings (And I would have though these things were essential if are planning to charge $300 a night!)

I have heaps of tips for zoojing (jzuging?) (is that how you spell it?) things up on the relative cheap if you want to PM me.

13. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Coffee and basic condiments are essential.

wylie likes this.
  14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I stayed in one for 3 nights and there was enough frozen meals, cereal, muesli tea coffee etc that could have fed me for the whole stay! bread and perishable type foods that someone may not have time to get from the airport etc are great to add in if possible

15. Depreciator

Ah yes, the OPAL card for public transport. I always have a couple of them in the flat and leave it up to guests to top up and leave behind when they move on. I never have any idea what balance is on the cards. Maps, especially of the immediate vicinity, are useful. The attached hand drawn one shows people staying in our pad the useful stuff in the immediate vicinity - it's due for another update because the area keeps changing.

Attached Files:

16. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

@Depreciator - did you draw this yourself? I did a similar one but it looks super shoddy in comparison to this !

We also have a welcome folder which includes all details/ rules- wifi password, tips on where to go, how to do your washing etc . We also include some menus or nearby (recommended) take away spots.

17. Scott No Mates

GHB, a couple of eccys & some special K.

Party central.

Joynz and Glorion like this.
  18. Depreciator

No, not my department. Things that require any artistic skill are my wife's responsibility.

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You are going to get bad reviews if you don't bother putting the basics in. I would not want to pay $300 a night and not have either fresh milk in the fridge or at least some long life milk. You need tea and coffee and what is with your idea that people will steal the salt and pepper? Really?

The local map is a great idea too with recommendations for great eateries and bars.

One of the biggest turn offs for us with the two times we used Air BNB was problems getting into the flats in both places. In Paris and New York, both fabulous central apartments, we had issues both times with at least an hour of back and forth, email, text just trying to get in.

The New York mix up was our fault because we waited outside the wrong Chase bank. But it all worked out in the end and we didn't end up divorced (as was a real possibility it seemed at the time :D). The owner was very gracious when we finally worked out the problem. Had he given us the actual address we could have met outside the flat. But he asked us to meet outside a nearby bank. That was because of the crackdown of the legality of AirBNB. I get it, but it meant frustration for us all.

The "Paris incident" was due to the owner not being in Paris that day, giving us a code to get in the building that didn't work and when we did get in (someone was coming out and we held the door open for ourselves), the concierge / cleaning lady / general fixer of everything for the building wasn't in her little cabin. We did finally get in though.

That incident did create great tension between hubby and I. We were travel weary, footsore, tired, hungry and generally ****** off that we couldn't get in.

Our two AirBNB experiences saved us thousands, but we both would think twice about using it again due to the problems we had just getting in the room. I think this first impression / entry procedure with foolproof back up is imperative.

Marg4000 likes this.
  20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A welcome folder with all essential knowledge and local information incl maps brochures and recommendations would be what I want on arrival. Tea/coffee and UHT milk etc. Maybe a sachet or two for breakfast etc. Heaps of food comes in small serves and lasts eg Kelloggs in a cup. 2min noodles etc I stayed in one AirBnb where there was a small basket - Help yourself if you are feeling empty but when you fill up think of me and top me up. I took a few bits and added a few more incl a few beers I left as I was flying home. - I left a tube of Vegemite in LA....Its probably still there. Only catch is you may need to check use by dates at times. Inside fridge was a laminate note that asked that no open fresh food (ie milk, butter etc) be left to ensure the contents were always fresh for the next guest. Made sense.

Bus / Train stops and where they can access timetables and info to get around. Cabs numbers, Uber, etc. A mini ipad fixed in the kitchen etc may assist too and make sure fixed so its cant walk (you can buy the fittings or cables on ebay)...Attached to charger with all relevant apps and linked to wifi. I like the Opal card idea. Just a 0.00 card and details on where to top up would be great !!
    Details on suggested destinations, brochures even.
    Any specific "donts"? ie which street to NOT walk down eg trannie alley
    Emergency contacts - 000, Medical centre, nearest pharmacy

Also for that area - List of gay / night / strip clubs might be smart. Chargers and cables for Android and Apple. Universal remote ?? Or instructions of your media setup !!

Local "whats on"publication for the month ?? eg sports on at stadiums, whats on in Sydney etc. And yes Mardi Gras info for that time.

Dishwasher tablets or liquid for washing up and laundry !! Its frigging annoying if I need one but have to buy a whole box.