WA What to pay attention to when looking at property management contract

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Moonlight, 2nd Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Moonlight

Moonlight Member

Hi Everyone,

Just made my first IP purchase (*deep breathes*) and the property manager of the buyers agent branch is looking for us to sign up with them to renewal the lease of the current tenants. I've never seen a management contract before, so I'm wondering what is normally on it? What should I be looking out for?

Their minimum term contract is 18months. I did notice under termination, I can terminate within the first 3 months without penalties, but it doesn't specify the penalty. Is this normal? What happens if things go down hill after 6 months, can you terminate a PM?

PS - If anyone has has a good recommendation of a property manager in Perth that would be great :)

2. PeterCr

PeterCr Well-Known Member

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Congratulations on the purchase! What suburb is it in? My PM can handle NOR stuff @Tom Cooper

When comparing PMs you want to look at a few things and it's not all on the contract
    - how experienced is your PM?
    - how many properties do they manage (ie do they have enough time to look after yours properly)
    - how many years have their staff been at the company (high turnover suggests overworked staff)

Most Perth contracts aren't all inclusive so there will be a number of items which are extra over and above the percentage fee - there can be quite a bit of difference in renewal fees, inspection fees, insurance claim fees etc

Moonlight and Stoffo like this.
  4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

FYI the REIWA standard form usually sets out damages as as liquidated damages equal to 50% of the management fee otherwise payable for the unexpired term of the agreement. E.g. if you end your management agreement early with 6 months remaining on the contract and the management fee is 10% on a $400/wk rental, you will have to pay them 6 months worth of fees at half the rate i.e. $400 rent x 26 weeks x 10% mgmt fee x 50% = $520 liquidated damages.

No idea if the agreement you are being offered is the REIWA standard form though.

Moonlight likes this.
  5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

The amount they can spend on repairs.....

Moonlight likes this.
  6. Moonlight

Moonlight Member

Thanks! I purchased in Ocean Reef. I will reach out to Tom for a chat as well.

The current guys gave us an option for inclusive and PAYG as well, but I didn't want to go with inclusive as I'm not sure how this team will actually go managing the property.

7. Moonlight

Moonlight Member

It looks like the standard REIWA form. Thank you I will look out for that.

8. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Ocean Reef area
    Sue Heggs
    Picks good tennants
    Easy to contact and get a reply

The only issue was some of the Tradesman she used. I didn't like her electrician.

9. JackRussel

JackRussel New Member

PeterCr likes this.
  10. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Bit off topic but still relevant- Does anyone have opinion on those set flat fee Property Mgmt structures?