Food & Dining what to drink if you don't drink alcohol?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by jsoe000, 5th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

My favourite drinks:

Going out: cranberry and soda water, soda water and lime, elderberry and soda water, muddled mint + lime + soda water

At home:
    - iced tea with cranberry, boysenberry herbal tea
    - soda water (thanks to my sodastream)
    - muddled mint
    - elderberry cordial http://www.ashboltfarm.com/ef_main.htm
    - for winter you could try mulled grape juice

2. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

calpis water / calpis soda. sounds like 'cow ****' but actually tastes quite good :)

sanj and Mombius Hibachi like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

It's funny you mention that - just started making kefir at home, and the taste remonds me of Calpis from my childhood.

And yes, Calpis and Pocari Sweat must top the best drink names in Japan.

The Y-man

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm with you that, now we're on tank water, to drink heavily chlorinated town water makes me feel blah ... makes you wonder what it does to your gut bugs too.

As for the OP question ... good quality soda, or tonic, water with a splash of cranberry juice or a squeeze of lemon ... I really like my wine or apple cider as my "switch off" drink, so plain water in the evenings just doesn't cut it ... as for the rest of the day ... litres of water and green tea

Last edited: 6th Oct, 2015
  5. The Y-man

Obviously don't go doing heavy work or workouts, and I must admit to washing my mouth out often and having a good shower (people accuse me of absorbing water through my skin!).

The real hard core practitioner ("hard dry" vs "soft dry") don't even do showers or brush their teeth!! :eek:

The Y-man

6. The Y-man

Thought you were going to recommend Garlic Juice and Garlic Tea!

The Y-man

Lizzie likes this.
  7. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Bah. Builds up the immune system.

8. jsoe000

jsoe000 Well-Known Member

I grew up in a third world country and when we were little, we had no choice but to boil tap water for drinking. We had to collect water per quota (water wasn't available all day long), boil litres of tap water at night, and would leave it to cool down over night for the next day.
    I'm just glad we can just drink out of the tap straight now in Aus and Singapore. Or very grateful that we don't have to fetch water from the well anymore!

Yeah, I should appreciate water more, rather than worrying about which wine to drink. :D

Lizzie and WattleIdo like this.
  9. SonOfTrigger

SonOfTrigger Well-Known Member

I rarely have booze - a couple of times a year - so my favourite treat drinks are a root beer, sarsaparilla or a coke zero.

Most of the time its coffee or water at home although now I'm interested in filtered water

10. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

I drink water, or lemon lime and bitters if I want something else when we're out at dinner.
    Sparkling water is nice, feels a bit festive too.

11. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

May I ask what are the benefits? Does the body like it or is it a religious/spiritual thing?

Also, what's muddled mint, muddled lime, etc?

12. The Y-man

Religious.

Although there is some stuff on the net about the benefits of dry fasting

The Y-man

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Usually end up with a terrible headache when I drink alcohol, so can't be bothered anymore.
    Water
    Fresh juices
    or, if I want a bit of sugar, Lemon lime bitters

14. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

Buy yourself a calamansi tree and put it in a pot on your balcony or plant it in your backyard. Then jump on the Redmart website and buy yourself a ton of San Benedetto sparkling water. Start squeezing the freshly picked calamansi into your sparkling water and you've got yourself a lovely drink :)

15. superman

superman New Member

I prefer lemon juice . when I visited Thai, I used to drink tender coconut water.. this one is very much delicious and is nature's best energy drink.

16. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

A good drink that i use is start with the water,there are only a handfull of 100% pure clean filtered water in Australia..Noble Beverages - Australia's purest water

Then mix the semi hot water with a hand full of homegrown mint,then a spoon of New Zealand 30plus Manuka Honey..

17. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Jaeger bombs...not sure if it's alcoholic or not as I can't remember either way after a few of these :)

Blacky likes this.
  18. 158

158 Well-Known Member

20160923_151934.jpg Copied from Facebook:
    Today, 23/9/16, marks 10 years without an alcoholic beverage. It has been a lifestyle choice of mine for quite some time, however I did have a few drinks on my buck's party night 10 years ago. And while a Coke isnt a great celebratory drink while on my current health kick, I thought it was well justified today. Thanks to all those who have bought me a softdrink or 2 while we have been out, despite all the offers for a beer or drink - Being designated driver does have its few perks. Cheers, and heres to another 10 years!

pinkboy

geoffw and wategos like this.
  19. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Very impressive, I have tried several times to stop but cannot make it past 3 or 4 days.
    I have cut down a lot though on beer at home in the last few months and have lost 4kg without really changing too much else.

158 likes this.
  20. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

PB - curious - did you have a drinking problem previously? or just decide the cost/benifit didnt add up.

I drink a lot less now than what I ever used to (having a kid wake you up at 5am when you have a headache isnt fun). And I regularly go without drinking when I am working (28days). I dont really miss it, though do enjoy the odd beer at home. I rarely drink wine any more, and dont ever drink spirits.

Blacky