What to do with $200 000 cash?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Tim86, 12th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Tim86 likes this.
  2. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Yes - if dividends are paid.

And my wide had no other income - so we claimed the imputation credits back and compounded! (i.e The tax previously paid within the company.)

Tim86 likes this.
  3. HenryC

HenryC Well-Known Member

Good on you mate!

Have you looked into property development trusts, some companies are paying 10-12% pa for a 2 years term, which might be a good option.

Hope this helps, just my opinion :)

Tim86 likes this.
  4. MadiBlue

MadiBlue Member

I did something similar back in 2017 as drew equity from offset and parked 6 figure amount in managed funds (50:50 AU:OS split). Made decent 10% annual return until Covid hit. Plan was to double down and had dry powder to deploy. However, it is one thing to have a plan and other to take action when 3 years of gains (& more) evaporate in 3 months, and super takes a sizeable hit too. Long story short, I divested at worst possible time (Mar 20) at small profit but built a smaller unlevered share portfolio. Was able to catch up to $ gain (tracking funds), flipside is portfolio mix is riskier but have no leverage - helps me sleep better at night!

Not trying to discourage you but make sure your mindset and strategy are aligned, plus you are ready for downside risk in case they materialise.

Whitecat, spoon, Sackie and 4 others like this.
  5. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Every. Single. Time.

Quoting price index vs total return index should be “Ban-able” offence.

blob2004, number 5, ChrisP73 and 2 others like this.
  6. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Okay so we just signed up for a self wealth account and once that's approved we will start slowly putting some money into VAS and VSG. And if it goes down 20% tomorrow and I have to wait ten years for a return then it is what it is.

Thanks for all the help!

7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Do you understand the point of dollar cost averaging? If you are doing that, you WANT it to fall tomorrow.

8. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Refinance PPOR, Pay down with cash & then tap into equity if wanting to reinvest.... but I'm a simpleton.

9. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Nah I'm maxed out with what I can borrow with my current serviceability.

10. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

I think you will do just fine.

Posted these screenshots before, and deserves a re-post. (Not saying you need to keep your money in the stock market for 100+ years, but the general direction is .. up).

upload_2021-11-13_18-47-58.png

upload_2021-11-13_18-49-5.png

sharon and Todd like this.
  11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest buying a HQ Monaro and parking it in your garage.

if it’s value drops 20 % you can take it out and smoke the tyres. Try doing that with an average financial portfolio lol.

SLP07, Baker, icic and 2 others like this.
  12. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

I think you are asking how to get a better ROE. and need more income to give access to your otherwise useless equity, as well as cover higher interest rates. . You should consider Umax similiar to VGS, but you forfeit some upside for some downside protection because of call options which will give you income instead of all the CG, about 5% currently. Other shares that are giving good dividends are SUL, SIQ ADH, and HVN, 9-10% grossed up. Telstra 5.8 grossed up. AZJ 8%, APA 5.7% ,AX1 4.3 RFF 4% Beware of the yeild trap. Dont price anchor ,biggest and most costly mistake investors make. An investment should take you where you want to go. In 2,5 years by july 2024, you may find with lower LVR's, higher rent and a little extra income from shares, you can pull out way more equity than any fall in share price, and with a bit of luck the share price will have fallen, so you can double or tripple your holdings at prices that give good yeilds and growth, so you can pull out more equity in 2 more years, perhaps buying another house first for cash first.

Last edited: 14th Nov, 2021
  13. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Yep. It is somewhat annoying.

And the only ETF of which I am aware which did not pay a distribution during the GFC period was the SPDR property index and that was only for one distribution if I remember correctly. The A-REITs themselves didn't do so well I understand.

Sure it's possible it could happen again - and probably will.

Cannot be bothered going further on this as it starts to get into the trading v investing argument.

14. Gav

Gav Well-Known Member

mines in the repair shop, seems to be broken....

15. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Haha, most only give a distorted image, often lead to wrong predictions... :D If only someone had told me Covid was coming, and the share market would rise madly despite Trump + Covid and the USA had more Covid deaths than the two world wars added up. :( I would have invested my shirt and undies and leveraged to the brink. :)

Gav likes this.
  16. Sheldrick

Sheldrick Well-Known Member

Just wondering how regular are you planning to put money into Vanguard?

I'm in a similar situation but found out that Vanguard charges $9 per transaction for shares.

I'm also eager to not dump all my money into vanguard on one time, and rather regularly invest (eg a couple of hundred a day or week or whatever amount) rather than 50k in one go for eg.

But just cautious about the $9 transaction fee

Whitecat likes this.
  17. Sheldrick

Sheldrick Well-Known Member

I know the managed funds (?) don't have transaction fees but the costs are more expensive? I was thinking of going for the funds which were cheapest (eg 0.1% fee) but with no one off transaction fees

18. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't dare nor have the time to buy every week. Here you go, someone posted this before, to get an idea of the balance of how much and transaction costs.

Investment Frequency Calculator

Investing in ETFs and LICs should be boring but consistent.

Sheldrick and number 5 like this.
  19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of spreading it out over 12 months. $5k in vgs and $5k in vas each month. That would be $120k invested and I can hold onto 80k offsetting the 3.1% variable interest rate on the homeloan and that can be my quick access cash if needed and what I invested in the stock market can just stay there for 10+ years.

Whitecat and Sheldrick like this.
  20. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

What do people think of the ethical conscious equivalents that Vanguard offers. VETH and VESG?