What to do when you get ripped off buying stuff?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Truly Exotic, 28th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

Woman’s alleged $31K puppy scam

years ago I got ripped off not a huge amount, could have been $800,
    I repeatedly approached the police, and got told it was a civil matter and to go to VCAT, and nothing they can do

I also have read many similar stories online about people getting ripped off buying online ranging from iphones, to dogs, to cars and to get told its civil,

yet the above is one of many news reports of people getting criminally charged for these incidents

so what makes these cases different/special?

2. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

Whilst the details of your case are unknown, in this particular case - it will no doubt be alleged that the accused has taken sums of money for goods (dogs) & services (vet and transport) when the vet nor transport never existed.

If it helps for clarity - if the dogs had of existed, but maybe they weren't given their shots, then it would become civil as you have received an item that is not what was stated.

Hope that helps

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

You can rip anyone off except the govt and big business.

Jellybeans123, Serveman and Anchor like this.
  4. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Because she had no puppies, was not registered as business and it was clear she had no intention of refunding or supplying the puppies.

Most other disputes have two sides of the story and there are small claim courts for those matters.

5. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

I meditate and focus on my breath.

6. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Many people in that situation do the same by yelling profanities focusing on their breathing to get as many in as possible with each breath.

7. Truly Exotic

that would help some to become calm, but it will not give justice to those that have been ripped off,
    allowing people to get away with this kind of behaviour will encourage it further

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

This comes from buying Truly Exotic stuff.

Truly Exotic likes this.
  9. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

I paid for a bunch of car seats and never arrived. Within 24 hours with only a name and car forums to help me, I had his mum's name, address and a friend willing to go and find out what the go was.

A week later I had my seats.

I've had to chase money. Today I discovered the working 12v fridge I bought in working condition actually wasn't. Only a dodgy solder connection on the PCB and easily fixed for someone like myself so didn't bother causing a fuss. But anyone else would be furious.

10. Truly Exotic

That may be a good point, I never considered it dependant on whether the goods existed or not.

As far as I can tell most of the cases I've heard are of people sending money and not getting their product, so there must have been intent to deceive and it's not cases such as it got lost in the mail.

But proving intent is probably difficult

11. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Times I've been ripped off...was either too ignorant to do the due diligence, secondly lazy or just merely in a rush panicked and pressured into buying it.

1. An LG G4 off ebay, some online only seller - didn't realise it was a refurbished model until one night with all lights off and someone called me that I noticed a lot of "light leaks" on the edges of the phone. Realised then it was a refurbished one sold at a price near brand new...was $20 less than a big retailer like HN or JB. Never again.

2. Was on a tour once in Taiwan to some remote region where they grew herbal tea, didn't think twice at first but then was pressured into buying a few boxes for $120AUD, initially I stuffed up the conversion rate and thought it as $12-$20 thought what the heck. Anyway, realised the more astute travellers avoided this scam by refusing the offers but then they sort of pressured a few others as well to buy it after a few friendly conversations like they'd try on the small talk and eventually you'll succumb to their "chat" and buy some.

3. Tenant and IP kept complaining about an electricity fault - had the agent recommend me a sparky, cost about $750 more than what it should have been had I engaged in my own. Had a new born at the time, wife was narky and thought OK outsource it.

12. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Well if one can take appropriate legal action to get justice, then that is what one should do. If you can’t do anything about it then you need to learn from the experience and make sure it doesn’t happen again. You can even start an education campaign informing the public about how to identify the scams and shonks so they get the spotlight put on them and so it never happens again.
    As far as dealing with the hurt and stress they say the best thing to do is to let go and let Karma do it’s thing. Ajahn Brahm from WABS always says this quote, “ Why seek revenge when Karma will get the *******s anyway “.