Travel & Holidays What to do in Brisbane City

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tim & Chrissy, 13th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hell yeah too! The weather, the livability...
    Eat St markets has a nice grassy area to relax in.
    I visited Brisbane for 2 weeks while settling and doing up my IP, but I could go up there every weekend.
    Can't say I've done everything Brisbane has to offer, but I do recommend getting up to Mt Cootha. But maybe you can do it with the littlies!
    In terms of the islands, you can definitely do them with the kids. I suggest maybe do Stradbroke with the kids while its whale watching season?

Pumpkin and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Your flight has been delayed! ;)

Pumpkin and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  3. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

t
    try ipark app. You can pay your BCC parking through your phone app, it alerts you when you are running low and you can top up from wherever you are.

4. eng

eng Well-Known Member

Go easy on the road and watch out for speed cameras. We got hit with an $800 fine for going 7km over the speed limit :(

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Thats a massive fine!

Observer and eng like this.
  6. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

We have arrived!

Spring Hill Deli Cafe

We parked in the hotel car park, no street parking. Chances of being towed?

7. Tim & Chrissy

We went for the Hyundai i20 so not much chance of speeding. It is red though so that might make it a little faster!

Observer and bob shovel like this.
  8. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

hehe that's awesome, the pressure is on now. Obviously there are a plethora of cafe options but I chose it as I feel it is Brisbane personified. Laid back, old style character and generally very friendly.

Hope you enjoy!

Edit: Should be fine parking there at this time of the morning. ;)

Last edited: 13th Feb, 2016
  9. Tim & Chrissy

Good choice Tyler!

The Mediterranean for Chrissy:

20160213_092246.jpg

The eggs benny with maple bacon for me:

20160213_092709.jpg

Both good, Chrissy was the clear winner though :cool:

10. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

Stop. it. now .... I want....:D

The Mediterranean or the Shakshuka is my go to feed.

Pumpkin likes this.
  11. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

With kids -
    - take the free ferry from Sydney st terminal to north quay - jump off at southbank for a paddle/swim and lunch - ferry back

- mt cootha botanic gardens - fantastic for a picnic and also have a great kids trail

- hike around mt cootha

- city cycle newfarm to newstead

- if raining check out queen st library - good kids area and often activities on

12. Tim & Chrissy

IP inspection done. Now we're at Shorncliffe about to head up towards Redcliffe on the scenic route

Pumpkin likes this.
  13. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Suggestion for next time @Tim & Chrissy (and anyone else not aware, applies all over Aus) with (or without) the kids.

In short - Flew over with my son (then 11) a few years back to see my mum, arrived in Brissy, went to Apollo & picked up a 6 berth Motorhome with everything we needed except fuel & food (had kitchen/dining, loo/shower, tv etc onboard, son had his laptop/gadgets for road entertainment).

Spent a couple of days up the sunshine coast, did australia zoo, down to gold coast, did the theme parks etc (spent time with family), down to byron for a couple of days, heading to melb so down the back road to dubbo for a night, did western plains zoo, down to mount buffalo, had a snowball fight etc, down to melb Apollo who dropped us off at the airport. Obviously Lots of sightseeing etc in between.

Spent 11 days doing it, first 9 days the motorhome cost us nothing but fuel, next two days cost $50ea, last cost $70. Never once paid for site fees, plenty of places to park up for the night.
    So $170 for accommodation, + fuel, flights, food/entertainment, was very cheap for a wonderful experience/memory my son (now 14) often discuss. Done similar in other locations.

Plenty of room in the motor"home" rather than cramped in a car, belongings all sorted in cupboards rather than living out of suitcase, often repacking etc.

Relocation rental cars, campervans and motorhomes | Transfercar

If I was going to syd with similar free days hire I would have included going up to hervey bay/fraser, done brissy & GC, then simply followed the A1 down, turned off at all the little known coastal townsites (again) that most drive past (beautiful natural coastline hidden away).

Not that you can do it today, but one of my greatest memories of Brissy is the World Trade Fair (1988). Never seen anything else like it in Aus, I'm sure others a similar vintage (old enough to comprehend it) would agree. Was pretty spectacular for a much younger/forward thinking Brissy back then.

14. pugstar205

pugstar205 Well-Known Member

Nice work. I've been trying to organise a relocation from Brisbane to Darwin (or vice versa). I can never quite get the dates to fit with leave from work etc, but will try to make it happen this year.
    Good to hear you had a positive experience.

15. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Expo 88 is still the most amazing thing I have ever been to. It gave me the travel bug at 8 years of age.. Even after travelling the whole world, expo in brissie still ranks number 1.

Pumpkin, Propin and WestOz like this.
  16. Tim & Chrissy

Thanks for sharing @WestOz. I was at Expo 88 as well, but I was 5 :)

Just stopped at Redcliffe for lunch and a walk along the jetty, its windy!

20160213_132706.jpg

Pumpkin, WestOz and bob shovel like this.
  17. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Can be a challenge if you can't get away from work easy.

Another thing that can stuff up plans is if a lesser used point to point, you believe it's all organised, fly/rock up to pick up the vehicle only to be told it's no longer available due to someone hiring it last minute (at full price).
    Whilst they "may" have something else that needs transferring it could be a car or small campervan.

Safest way which isn't always possible for everyone (due to popular routes) is taking the vehicle from your home location to another point then fly back home.
    Always see plenty from Darwin/Alice/Brome etc, the opposite direction are rare.
    Majority are transfers back to Syd or Melb which is great for anyone living there.

pugstar205 likes this.
  18. Tim & Chrissy

Great option for us with 4 kids, stops the costs from multiplying

19. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I thought I'd seen you somewhere before! :)I was a kid to and there for it. Remember none of it

20. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I was 22 (old enuf to be ur daddy) so remember most it.
    Favorite part was the Aboriginal theater (thing?) not sure what to call it but it was different, went through it a few times. Wish I could find a youtube of it but was pretty dark in there, VCR cameras back then wouldn't have coped.

Concerts were pretty good to be at also, at the top of their game back then.