Travel & Holidays What to do in Brisbane City

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tim & Chrissy, 13th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Hi all,

We flew up to Brisbane yesterday for a property inspection today. We were not expecting much, just a smaller version of Sydney, we could not habe been more wrong!

We have been to the West End for the Boundary Street Night Markets, then down to the Brisbane River to the South Bank Night markets, rainforrest walk and Streets Beach.

What else is there to do in Brisbane City? We fly out late tonight but will definately come back later this year when we are on holidays with the kids on the GC.

From the small amount we've seen Brisbane City seems more liveable than Sydney and in all honesty we like it more!

RM1827, Pumpkin, big max and 4 others like this.
  2. pugstar205

pugstar205 Well-Known Member

Powerhouse/New Farm park; Newstead - Gasworks; Mount Cootha; CityCat trip on the river; Valley Markets; Roma Street parklands; Shorncliffe / Sandgate / Redcliffe - seaside towns; Racecourse Road - Ascot; DFO - airport.

Pumpkin, 733, ross100 and 2 others like this.
  3. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

Definitely hit up the eat street markets before you fly out tonight. I also second @pugstar205 's recommendations and I'll add Wynumm-Manly to the bayside suburbs list, try a Barra burger from The Fish Cafe at Manly and have a stroll by the marina.

733 and Pumpkin like this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Next time you are back consider doing a day trip to Coochie Island or Stradbroke Island

733, Pumpkin, Whitecat and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tim & Chrissy

Do you have a ranking for these? Good chance we will run out of time! :( We are travelling to North Brisbane today, originally we were just going to drive around looking at areas for future IP's. No chance of that now, what a great city!

Thanks Tyler (something tells me that's not your real name :p) we will drive on over for a look.

Pumpkin and Tyler Durden like this.
  6. Tim & Chrissy

Next time is only a few months away but we will have the 4 littlies with us, are they family friendly trips? (I.e. will we have screaming toddlers by day end o_O)

Pumpkin likes this.
  7. Tim & Chrissy

8. Tyler Durden

Correct, that's my good-looking alter ego who lacks my yearning for material pleasures :p.

Another tip for the Eat Street markets is to enter via Theodore St (it's a bit further down Kingsford Smith), it's becoming a lot more popular and navigation has EVERYONE entering via Remora Street. Avoid the traffic queue. ;)

If you're heading N today do the Moreton Bay tourist drive, start around Shorncliffe and follow the bay around to Scarborough, via Woody Point and Margate. For a cheap feed try Banjo's Bakery (opposite the Redcliffe Jetty), pastry quality is excellent and a cut above your average Aussie bakery!

Pumpkin and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  9. Tyler Durden

The Spring Hill Deli if you're near the city, friendly, homely food. Feels like having breakfast at a friends place.

I miss Brisbane now, never thought I would say that out loud :p

Pumpkin likes this.
  10. Tim & Chrissy

We're starting to wonder why Sydney is so hyped up. Darling Harbour and the eateries have nothing on Southbank IMO and Streets Beach was just incredible, everything is reasonable priced as well. I have been here for work before but it was literally in and out of the CBD.

I know of a few people who have left Sydney for QLD but the reasons I only ever hear are 'it's cheaper' or 'houses are cheaper' nothing about how liveable it is. We will be talking it up to everyone when we get back :D

11. pugstar205

There's a couple of good places on Racecourse road if you're heading north out of the city - I like 'Lido' on Racecourse Road. New farm / Teneriffe (James Street) and Newstead are nothing but places to eat breakfast and coffee - spoilt for choice.

12. Tim & Chrissy

Did you just move out of the city or interstate?

13. pugstar205

Agree eat street markets - but make sure you park properly as there's ticket inspectors handing out $175 fines like confetti.
    My cousin just moved here from Perth and headed straight for Eat Street and got a nasty fine. She's gotten over it now though, but not a good start. They've moved up the road from me in Banyo - @Tim & Chrissy - I can recommend Nudgee / Banyo for a look at IPs if you're heading north.

14. Tyler Durden

I grew up and live on the Sunshine Coast but for most of us, Brisbane is "the big smoke" so either work, education, investment or recreation leads us there. I've done a few stints. :D

Sonamic and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

**** yeah! Sydney is a nice place to visit!

16. Tim & Chrissy

Actually we started well with parking. Meter was broken, called council, they gave me a reference number and said parking's on us today :cool:

17. eng

eng Well-Known Member

Overnight wasn't enough for me to get familiar with Brissie.
    We took the family and rented an Airbnb place in Redcliffe and spent a week there over the xmas holidays. We left the kids with friends and paid their expenses to the theme parks in the GC while we booked inspections throughput the week. We came back to Sydney with a great contract and suntan :)

Pumpkin, Sackie, Gockie and 1 other person like this.
  18. Tim & Chrissy

Just need a crisp new $1,000 note for a day trip ;)

19. Tim & Chrissy

We've been here for 18 hours now, leaving the kids behind wasn't a bad decision :cool:

Pumpkin, Observer and eng like this.
  20. Tyler Durden

Preaching to the converted, I've lived in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane for work, aside from the history, culture and employment opportunities of our two larger cities both Perth and Brisbane rank far higher for liveability (in my mind anyway).

Sydney still features at the top of a few lists for me, probably the best beaches and surfing of the world cities (taking climate and consistency into account), definitely some of the best parkland and green space and one of the best flying in/flying out views of a city I've seen. Flying back to Sydney after a long stint travelling overseas and looking at the view out of the window on a clear morning is pretty special and makes you feel proud to be Australian.

Lucky I'm giving you DINKS recommendations then, I can't imagine trying to drag little ones around the Eat Street markets :p

Observer, Whitecat and bob shovel like this.