What to do if you detect foul play with selling agent?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by David_SYD, 17th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

At least then they will know there was another contender for it.

David_SYD likes this.
  2. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

Quite possibly.

3. meffn

meffn Well-Known Member

I don't understand why you havent done that already? The vendor has 2 representatives, the agent and the solicitor. If you think one isn't passing on the message then speak to the other?

4. David_SYD

David_SYD Well-Known Member

The Vendor’s solicitor is not engaged to broker deals, that’s what they’ve paid the REA $25k for.

I don’t want to bother people when it’s not within their remit, the same way as I wouldn’t appreciate being bothered with unrelated issues in my everyday role.

5. meffn

meffn Well-Known Member

Except they are very much part of brokering the deal. Before the agent even market the property, the vendors solicitor draws up a contract of sale which sets the terms for the sale. Potential buyers make pre contract requisitions to the vendors solicitors which can have a binding effect unlike representations made by an agent. Variations to contractual terms and special conditions are directed at the solicitor not the agent. The exchange of contracts are done by the solicitors. It's their job to ensures legal interests are protected throughout the whole process, which includes ensuring that the buyers have evaluated all offers - and if they are accepting a lesser offer - to ask why?

Pingu1988, Stoffo and David_SYD like this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've never known for a solicitor to "ensure that buyers have evaluated all offers - and if they are accepting a lesser offer - to ask why?"

Pingu1988 likes this.
  7. meffn

meffn Well-Known Member

Haha I guess you're right. It's more if a prospective buyer comes to the solicitor and complains, the solicitor should double check.