What things should you ask the former owner about a property

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Whitecat, 16th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

What things is it useful to ask a former owner about a property prior to handover?

Whether they have any plans that they got done up that they didn't ever go through with or tips on how to use a stubborn lock or deal with demented neighbour or which windows should be shut when there's rain? I'm trying to think of important things that I should ask.
    I have their contact details anyway but it might be useful to run through things on site.

2. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Great question! Aside from big ticket items that I would always check for operation (air conditioners, dishwashers i.e. actually run them), I've found making a simple list of all the little maintenance items that won't be immediately noticeable to a new tenant/property manager/new owner that a current owner would know from living there over time. You've basically listed the type of items (locks, windows) so I would think it's a matter of going through the property room by room as I'm sure there are things that will trigger.

If the property is in SE Qld then checking on termite barrier currency would be a big one for me as well as asking exactly when the hot water system was last replaced and/or serviced.

I'll be interested to read further responses to this question. :)

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What brand, colour name of paint used for walls and ceilings in case you need to touch up.

Not knowing this, meant I had to repaint a very large ceiling instead of just touching up around a repair.

Also how to start the gas heating. The heating in my ip is very tricky if the pilot light has to be relit.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I ask the owner or agent specific questions about the house, eg does the aircon work, has there been any history of termites or repairs from pests etc

By asking specific questions they are obligated to answer truthfully (esp agents), if they lie then its an avenue of recourse that clients may have post settlement.

I went to a seminar by an investment spruiker whos laughable inspection method was to "turn on all the taps and open and close the kitchen cabinets as everything else is just minor".

5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

"In which room was the murder committed?"

Bewildered Agent may reply "what murder?"

To which you respond "Oh, must be the other house I'm buying".

Aconis likes this.
  6. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Does pizza hut deliver here?

Which room is best for 'adult' activities?