What the hell is happening to our clothes in this country?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by random, 3rd Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. random

random Well-Known Member

Mens clothes are just crap and what's with our crazy sizing now. l'm 6ft but fairly lean and have never ever had trouble getting clothes to fit there's men about 2 and 3 times my weight and taller and far broader you name it.
    Yet these days l can't find lose clothes , not even T's or something simple like that.
    And what the hell is this sizing lately , 2x 3x 4x rubbish , even 4x doesn't fit me in any comfortable way , whatever 4x is , hate to think what the bigger guys have to resort to.
    And where did that crazy crap even come from anyway what happened to the old sizing this stuffs a joke is any other country dealing with this rubbish. And the quality is just disgusting , andddd , the cuts are just ridiculous. Every notice to there's no mens room in pants anymore . ? They have such bad cuts that they're almost breaking things down there these days. l even find it with the work pants. Which actually use to be the most comfortable pants you could own especially once they were worn in. Now , doesn't matter what brand , none l use anyway ,the cuts are stuffed,and you can't even open your knees scuse the pun but in my job you get into all sorts of kneeling and spots , half the time l'll go to kneel down or put a foot here leg there and the pants won't even allow it, your legs are stuck in the damn things. So bad l've even resorted to trying track pants at work so l can have a bit of freedom , comfy but l don't like them at work so it's back atm stuck with the most uncomfortable most restricting work pants l've ever used.

Are things that tight and hard in business here these days that they've all scraping the bottom of the barrel that much, where ever they're getting this crap made. l mean what's changed, something has big time.
    Still says China on just about everything, but l remember even back when l was a kid just about every piece of clothing l ever owned was made in China anyway under all the fancy labeling , so what's changed , what's going on. ?
    Even my 18yr old daughter notices it , everything she buys is just rubbish that falls to bits and her stuff doesn't fit anymore either, she says the sizes and cuts have gone all crazy too no matter where she buys it..
    l know Kmart is using what Bangladesh, not that l buy any clothes there the mens stuff is about the worst anywhere but my daughter use too get som,e of hers there but says it's so bad now she doesn't even go into the place anymore. l did buy a couple of T's there awhile back , few washes and they were stuffed. Same again bought the biggest ones they had , still too small l remember.

So what's going on , anyone else having this problem .? Or maybe being a property forum you all wear expensive brands that are made somewhere else, don't know.

Last edited: 3rd Sep, 2019
  2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Jeez settle down or you'll end up strangling a shop assistant lol.

The easiest way to shop is buy a black t shirt , flanno shirt over the top with half the buttons done up. It's practically one size fits all.

3. Rugz06

Rugz06 Well-Known Member

I still find kmart shirts are the best value for just plain Ts. For $8, can you go wrong. Even cotton on.
    Business or dress shirts i go to Tarocash, YD or connors.
    I am tall and fairly lean and fit XL slim fit generally.

I would only buy a couple of bits of clothing a year and there is no need for flashy super expensive clothing.

Shazi and Redwing like this.
  4. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

No issues here. Sounds like you should change stores. AS colour have good tees and reasonable pants. Always found dickies to be well made and loose (skater comfort), stopped buying them though due to labor practices...

Mumbai likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Just buy quality brands - no surprise sizing.

If you're cost conscious, shop at an upmarket Vinnies/Op Shop (all the good brands at bargain prices). :oops:

datto, ellejay, willair and 1 other person like this.
  6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Must say most of my work pants came from salvos, but these days they have priced themselves out - it's Savers for pants now. My polos are an eclectic collection of free promo stuff left over from sales conventions etc.

Now before before people start making assumptions and comments, my technical gear comes from (albeit on big sales) Columbia (my winter goto is my Omniheat jacket), Gondwana and the odd Chute cheapie. Interestingly, my last purchase - a long raincoat - was actually Uniqlo :confused:

The Y-man

7. random

random Well-Known Member

Can't believe no one else here has this . l use heaps of different shops that's just a whatever if l'm walking somewhere and see something on sale l like l'll grab it. Don't use surf shops anymore too dear but they use to have great stuff, l use to shop through joints like just jeans and places years ago but these days it's whatever but they are the cheaper places. Yesterday l really needed something was at aldis wiz into Best and Less use to be great for the little things for example. BOught 2 T's , this stupid 3x thing because that was the biggest, home, too small. Bought a rain vest thing 4x , the armpits are so restricted l can't move, track pants , only just fit prefer looser , pack of jocks biggest size l could find , too small, everything's gotta go back except the track pants.
    Ok that for example is a cheap store but they use to be fantastic for stuff like that. Thing is , find the same thing everywhere.

Had a pair of loose most comfortable pants ever from lowes about 7yrs ago , went in few weeks back , never know they might still sell them. Well they did still have them , exactly the same couldn't believe it. Was just about to pay my 50bucks and l noticed the material was completely different stuff though now, just thin and really crappy , put them back. So even though they're still getting the exact same pants made, they've cut a huge chunk out of the quality to cut corners .

PS , someone mention op shops , had to laugh , my daughter loves them and we were in a couple the other wk. Got 3 brand new T's with great designs, 9 bucks. These would be 25 dollar T's , so l was happy boy haha. Might go back.

Last edited: 3rd Sep, 2019
  8. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

A few years ago I bought some t shirts from kmart and they were absolute garbage.
    The never made it past the first wash , the wife just laughed at the mention of kmart.and found the quality better at target..
    Even a couple of polo shirts from myers went seriously out of shape very quickly and went into the bin.
    Tried a pair of work pants from kmart at the end of last year and the front pockets have had to re-sewn twice , so my general attitude towards kmart is its poor quality but cheap.
    At the other end of the scale I've still got a really nice italian made fleece that's over 20 years old, washed multiple times , the zip still works and around the waist and wrists is still elastic.

random likes this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Oh yeah reminds me - a lot of people think the op shops only have pre-loved stuff, but totally not true. A lot of factory seconds actually make it to these stores (complete with label) but they didn't get past final qc - things like a bad stitch, logo in wrong spot etc.

The Y-man

random likes this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could, you know, try things on before buying them?

Lizzie likes this.
  11. random

random Well-Known Member

Title was meant to say btw , in this country sorry , as in Oz. l wasn't referring to "the country" , although l do really miss Melbourne shopping haha.
    Just seems so hard to make a business work here they're all just cut cut cutting left and right.

Funny , someone mentioned Cotton on , my daughter use to shop there but says even their quality or the lack of now is just crap. Must admit l bought a top there once , 2 washes and it was faded .

12. random

random Well-Known Member

Depends on the shop , l use to with things like jeans , but T's and shirts there was no need ,now you gotta check the rubbish top to bottom , especially armpits l find. Never ever had that problem 10 yrs ago yet l'm lighter now .

13. random

random Well-Known Member

l might try them for work pants , not having luck anywhere else unless l wanna pay 60bucks a pop and l'd still just about guarantee l won't be able to move in them anyway.

14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Fixed

random likes this.
  15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

King Gee does work pants with stretch fabric options these days. Hard Yakka has lots of styles and options - including really tough options.

What sort of work do you do?

16. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah right , l haven't tried any of those for years because they're so dear these days. Maybe l'll have to resort to them.
    Use to be able to just buy Kmart or somewhere work pants and they'd be cut great and end up the most comfortable pants you own,trash now which l've found with others too.
    l work with and build RV's and caravans you would say as well as renovating property.

PS, Thanks mod .

Last edited: 4th Sep, 2019
  17. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

we used to have a poster called Dazz who used to wear kaftans and the issue was resolved.

Perp and random like this.
  18. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

I agree with the OP, terrible clothing now in all aspects. Partially fixed things by buying most of my shirts etc from the U.S.A. Good U.S. brands like Pendleton which always seem to fit perfectly (I am the same basic size as random). There are many good makers in the U.S., just check that the item is actually U.S. made since some brands have U.S. made models and some say Mexico made etc. (the above are not really work-cloths though, just saying for general shirts/nicer shirts)

Pendleton woolen blankets are also highly recommended :)

I actually even buy all my toothpaste from the U.S. now but that is another story....

19. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You can buy them for $69. Another option is dewalt who also make stretch work pants. Same price. Try Hard Yakka Legends.

random likes this.
  20. random

random Well-Known Member

Ahh good for him , now that'd be comfort.