What Sydney's Median House Price Will get you in 10 US Cities

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by MTR, 1st Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

SOULFLY3 likes this.
  2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

My personal opinion is money will flow out from the US is while Trump is there.

I think he will be a lame duck president....already it is started to make people think about going there. If it continues money will follow...already some of the large IT outsourcers are starting to rethink this.

This will impact housing i the US...there was a lot of foreign money going to the US with Trump there the Chinese/Indians will look to places like the UK/Europe which seem to be more investment friendly.

My personal opinion...but also seeing a lot of evidence of this....

3. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

Interesting if misleading on Domain's part.

They seem to have written this from the perspective of someone buying into USA, requiring a currency conversion, instead of doing a straight up comparison of median prices and median incomes. Also, they're kind of ignoring incomes and are just picking random locations that may or may not be comparable to Point Piper or Ipswich, we don't know.

As an example LA's median multiple is very high, in the world top ten (but behind Sydney and Melbourne) in the mid 9s. San Fransisco is about the same. Same goes for San Diego, though to a slightly lesser extent. Interesting to choose these three - but even despite being "bubbly" all of those cities (the most expensive in USA) are nonetheless more affordable than Melbourne and Sydney.

Also, New York has a very high median income, so though it's median price is not much more than Melbourne's it's median multiple is actually only 5.7, which is *just barely* a bubble (if you want to invest in USA it might be a good target) and is in fact ranked as more affordable than another other major Australian city, even Perth and Adelaide.

Seattle's median multiple is quite low too at just 5.5 - so it's about as affordable as New York. Portland is also on 5.5.

Chicago has a median multiple of 3.8, which is well within the range of normal (which is 2-5). It is far, far, far more affordable than any other Australian city. Detroit is similar, on a 3. Atlanta is on 3.1. So all of these are very affordable cities, but it's hard to tell based on their listings - they could be choosing, for example, very expensive suburbs. It seems like they're trying to imply Sydney's median isn't so bad or is comparable to other cities, which isn't the case.

mrdobalina likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Seeing a different story in my neck of the woods and I am only focusing on this. Crazy hot market and am also seeing this in other markets in US. I have posted many articles on the Beltine Atlanta and its simply staggering the amount of money being pumped into this market by government and business.

Trump rally at the moment shares and property.

http://www.therealestatecompany.biz/10-companies-relocating-to-metro-atlanta-headquarters/

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not expensive suburbs for any of these States.