What surprised you about getting older?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 4th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I would like to come to that state of contentment one day.

luckyone, Gladys and charttv like this.
  2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Agree.

It’s quite surprising how little we actually need to be happy in life, and to learn the joy of having .... enough!
    Marg

charttv likes this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I guess we all look older than once upon a time. I've recently reconnected with a few former classmates, and I'm surprised how much older they look.

I went to a dentist once, and I recognised the name of a person I had once gone to high school with. When he had finished, I asked him if he had gone to my school. It turns out that he had. I told him that I had gone to that same school, in the same years as him.

He asked me what I had taught when I was there.

4. Marg4000

Hubby just went to renew his drivers licence and had a new photo taken.
    Young thing at the counter remarked he had not changed at all in 5 years.
    Hubby chuffed!
    Marg

luckyone, EN710, Gockie and 1 other person like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I got my application to renew two days before we flew out recently. I was desperate to have a new photo. I've changed a lot since the old photo. :D

The old photo from five years ago is the worst photo I've ever had taken. Five years later, I look younger (but that is only because the old photo was sooooo bad). It didn't look like me and I don't understand how they thought it did. I look Asian and very startled.

The man who took it laughed when I showed it to him and said he understood why I wanted a new one. He was a redhead, very pale skin and said his current photo just looks like a couple of eyebrows. The rest of his face blends in with the pale background.

luckyone, Marg4000 and Toon like this.
  6. Property101

Property101 Well-Known Member

Don't really think I'm getting older as I am always trying to get better...but what gets me is..Needing reading glasses(and mostly the fact I am always looking for them) and one by one all body parts like to take a rest and give me trouble...lol when I am least expecting it or needing it!

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

In the middle of a sentence I forget a name or something I'm trying to say and I'm like umm mm ahhh.

Ambit, Kassy and Lizzie like this.
  8. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

How flawed the education system is and how it does almost nothing to prepare you for the real world

How you thought which of your peers would become wildly successful in life due to their academic achievements/praise but end up being another cog stuck in a corporate machine. On the flipside, how you thought some people would end up being deadbeats but ultimately become wildly successful

How the people you used to think had all the answers and people you looked up to are actually full of it!

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

My response is "Nah! I'm fine, I keep them in a jar".

The thing that I find the worst is waking up to an old lady lying next to me in the bed in the mornings. :oops:

Sannie, TMNT and 158 like this.
  10. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Quite a distance between teeth and toes :rolleyes: but they both begin with 'T' ...

Lizzie and Scott No Mates like this.
  11. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

I went to school with a friend who happened to stay down in year 11. They felt he was was not quite ready for year 12. He got quite a ribbing in school. That guy is the CFO of a major Australia company now. Got quite a shock when I saw him being interviewed on TV.

luckyone, Simon L and Ted Varrick like this.
  12. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

That's not age related eye problems

13. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

I enjoy work far more than I used to.
    Getting older = more time in the market.
    Which means I have options ... while still a wage slave, I have options I didn’t have when I was younger.
    I’m considering - sorry working towards - a career change I wouldn’t even be able to contemplate if I wasn’t a property investor.
    I enjoy work more now, comfortable in the knowledge I can say ... thank you but no thank you, to my employer.
    Not financial freedom, but a freedom that is liberating.

14. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Now that I am no longer working I find I am far more content. Really enjoy going to the gym each day and doing all the classes they offer. Having so much free time is so great. I have been overseas 5 times in the last 9 months and twice to Cairns.
    I have decided to stay home for a while but it is so great being able to decide what I want to do !!!! After working for a hundred years (well it felt like it) and being directed to so many different places not of my choosing, it is fabulous doing what I want.
    My son is also enjoying my retirement as I have taken him to New York twice in the last 2 years which we both thoroughly enjoyed.
    I highly recommend retirement as long as you are able to keep yourself occupied.

15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have been getting "sir" a lot lately. I don't like it. I don't look or act like a "sir".

willair likes this.
  16. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Signed up for weekly gym classes, first one this morning ... OMG I am aching everywhere and my body feels like jelly :(
    Reason? noticed loss of muscle tone, finding it difficult to lift heavy pots out of oven etc.S
    Just as well I have paid in advance as I'm not sure I would turn up for 2nd class :D

Last edited: 6th Jun, 2018
    Chrispy and Perthguy like this.
  17. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

I'm surprised when I get a pain in a shoulder or knee for a few days and can't help wondering what I did to get that ?

I workout most days so expect a few aches now .

Also , as I get older I'm more dismayed at the antics of our politicians of all persuasions. I really am .

18. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Seeing my parants get older and more vulnerable.

Toon and balwoges like this.
  19. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Yep. My dad was always this strong and capable man. Seeing him loose strength and become more fragile is quite the eye opener.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

Toon and Marg4000 like this.
  20. Marg4000

Reminds me of our mum.

Sister and I were horrified one Christmas when my 84 year old mum casually remarked that she had $80K in her cheque account. Clearly ripe pickings for a con artist who tend to prey on the elderly.

Suggested I went with her to her bank to sort out finances to protect her. Mum agreed readily. Went to her bank, mum sat back and told the bank person to do whatever I thought was best. She seemed very relieved to pass on all decisions, which surprised (and saddened) me.

At the agreement of all siblings, I took care of all financial matters for the rest of her life.
    Marg

luckyone, Perthguy, Toon and 2 others like this.