What sort of pictures are needed when selling?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Burramys, 26th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

The selling REA has a photographer. I've found a professional photographer that shoots for REAs and can do the job for less than the selling REA. The selling REA says that the definition and quality have been an issue with vendor's photographers. Can anyone advise what sort of resolution is desirable in pixels and DPI? TIA

2. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

you can use your own photographer no issues. However you will then be responsible for the photographer and not the REA and you don't want the excuse something isn't selling is due to the photos.

Where as if you use their photographer and everything else you can put forward the question of well we did everything you asked/wanted and used your suppliers so what has happened as they are responsible.

qak and kierank like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Quality varies depending upon the usage - low resolution for website (so they pictures download quickly when you open the page), highest resolution for window display, advertising brochures, A4 flyers, cards and handouts.

4. Burramys

Thanks. I'm aware of the two sorts of resolutions. I was after pixel and DPI numbers. The photography is fairly simple, especially for a professional that works in that area.

5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I had pro photos done for a rental listing in Perth last year. I have no idea of the pixel or DPI numbers.

I reckon the agent is pulling your leg.

Just ask the agent what pixel and DPI numbers they are chasing then give those numbers to your photographer.

6. Perthguy

The counter argument is that if you use the REA photographer then you have no control of the outcome. I used the REA photographer in Melbourne and the results were average.

I used my own photographer in Perth and the results were outstanding!

And? So the REA completely screws it up and you blame them. What are they going to do? Say sorry? Taking a risk so you have someone to blame if things go wrong doesn't make sense to me. I would rather hire my own contractor who is responsible to me than hire a REA contractor and have no control of the outcome.

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Just remember ownership of the photos rests with the photographer, who probably has a deal with the RE agent. You pay for the photos, then the RE agent can use them in the future to advertise the property for rental etc. good cost saving for them!
    Marg

8. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I just pointed out some pro/cons, you can organise all the marketing if you want to it depends on the level of control you want and what the agent is willing to work with.

I am sure if you said to an agent I like you and you can have the listing but I want to use my photographer they wouldn’t say uh no thanks find another agent.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Something like this

[​IMG]

10. Burramys

I asked the selling agent for technical details such as pixels and DPI, no reply. He's usually fast with replies. At this stage I'll use my photographer. Owning the pics and having control is useful; I had not thought of ownership.

I engaged the selling agent in late May, when the tenants were given 60 days to vacate. the selling agent said that the auction could be on 4 August. So tenants leave on 60 days, 19 July, which gives just one OFI and then the auction.

The tents left late last week, a month earlier than expected. The selling REA is now saying that fixing up the place and staging needs to be done ASAP. How can this be as we are still a few weeks short of the 60 day end, 19 July?

I like the above pic. It's a great pity that the people that like such pics - male teenagers and young male adults - are invariably unable to get a loan of $600,000.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Burramys

The selling REA accepted the pics from my photographer, saved a few dollars. their price $275, my price $195, Top Snap. The agent price is 40% more than what I paid. Their price for plans $165; my price, by an architect, $40. It would not surprise me if the selling REA is taking a small profit on all the selling costs such as copywriting, plans, photography, printing, etc. If so then the selling agent could make an easy $2-3000. The copywriting was not that good either.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Perthguy

I ran into this problem in Melbourne. I paid $$$ for photos, plans and copywriting. The photos were average, the plan was inaccurate and the copywriting was terrible!

If I sell again I will organise all that myself using competant people. Not to save money but rather to create a good impression of the property. Like they say, you have one chance to make a good first impression. Plus, it's cheaper.

13. Burramys

I've got the advertising PDF, and it's woeful. The words are mostly fine but do not meet contemporary standards. Two major gripes are very faded words that are very hard to read, and inconsistent information, present on one piece of advertising and not on another. I've spent some time subbing the PDF. When I'm not losing money on the ASX I'm a sub-editor, so while I cannot write REA copy I most certainly can edit PDFs. I'm not paying for the PDFs, sections 60 and 61 of ACL refer, services must be executed with due care and skill, reasonably fit for the purpose. Not happy. However, I am a little richer.

Perthguy likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia