What should we do with the garage floor?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by wylie, 13th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

After 20 years, we are clearing our garage (AKA Baby Bunnings) of all the renovating and general "might need this one day" stuff we've stored (and used) for so long.

Our renovating days are over and we are going to store only what we really need, paint the walls and have just a car in the garage, with small work area at the back. It is one car wide and two cars long (tandem), to give an idea of size.

Our concrete floor has paint splashes, some areas of old oil or similar spills and general dirt and grime.

We have a few options for the floor -

- do nothing except give it a good clean
    - coat with paving paint
    - apply two-pack fleck product from Bunnings for about $160 and we may need two packs
    - professional fleck garage floor product which I believe may cost about $2k
    - get the concrete polished and sealed.

Has anybody done any of these things, but also priced up other options.

I'm guessing I've listed them from cheapest to most costly, but really am not sure.

I guess if we use paving paint just to improve the look and it wears off, or wears badly, we can still have it removed as part of a more expensive finish down the track.

2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

It's only a garage....I would go with the absolute cheapest option ie the first one

Rugrat and Joynz like this.
  3. wylie

Probably good advice. With newly plastered and painted walls, the paint splattered floor is going to look bad, so maybe we might do the paving paint.

We've used paving paint on an IP that wears off, but that floor is "jack built", pitted, pocked and no way can paint stick to it.

Food for thought though. Maybe we will just leave it rather than paint and then create a different problem if it doesn't stick.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Epoxy topping :D (but that's probably worth more than the house).

5. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

How about putting carpet in there. You could get a cheap cut to size piece to cover the entire floor area

6. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

See what it’s like once you’ve cleaned it. If you high pressure wash it the paint may flake off...

7. wylie

Epoxy topping would cost about the same as the two-pack I'm guessing. Certainly would make the garage look nice and it is right next to our entry door, so we walk right in from the garage and anything on that floor gets walked upstairs.

Regarding carpet, I've thought about just buying a large offset of vinyl.

I guess with the garage's future being for a car and not a serious working area, we won't get the level of dust and rubbish and may not walk it through the house anyway.

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Paint it with paving paint.
    Sure, it will chip a bit and show wear, but should be good for quite a few years.
    Quick, easy to do and relatively cheap.
    Easy to touch up.
    Marg

balwoges and wylie like this.
  9. wylie

I've always been the painter, but these days we pay a painter. He knows our garage well and says paving paint should work well and should stick. I think we will do that.

Thanks all. Sometimes it just is good to bounce some ideas around to help clarify an idea (and to slap myself for even considering paying $2k for a fancy floor) just for a garage.:D