What should I do?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Peter P, 29th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Peter P

Peter P Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Tenants vacated today and we were left with a nice surprise. The property manager has told me that this is something I have to fix due to wear and tear from the rain. I was informed in June that there were problems with the roof tiles and I quickly organized that to be fixed but was never informed that there were issues with the ceiling. I am currently obtaining quotes to have it fixed so the PM can advertise for new tenants. Is there anything I can do?

IMAG6786.jpg

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You could check with your insurer but it may not fall within their parameters of a claim, depending on many things.

And if your excess is high, it likely could be cheaper to throw up a new ceiling and have it painted. Our excesses are $1,000 so I wouldn't claim for one ceiling.

It is annoying the tenants didn't let you know, but this could have happened with one recent, big rain event. It's still unacceptable that they move out without even mentioning it, but what can you do...

I think you just need to get it fixed and rented asap.

balwoges and Propertunity like this.
  3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

^^ this!

4. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

It's your problem. Just get it fixed, find a new tenant and carry on with collecting rent.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Did someones foot do that ? Looks like it. Been up in roof ?

If you can identify rainwater as a cause the ceiling could be covered as the whole ceiling and cornices may need to be replaced rather than a patch job. Strange they didnt mention if it was a water feature.

The nice cornices and the bayonet fitting contrast so nicely. Someones been watching the block ?

mikey7 likes this.
  6. Peter P

Thanks for the comments.

I have found someone to fix the issue. Ive got 2 quotes: 3.5k and 1.2k. Big difference...

I spoke to the PM today to get a clearer story.
    March: PM called to send someone out to fix
    April: New PM started to manage the property. No communication between previous PM and new PM and so there was never a follow-up.

I'm very annoyed that I was never informed. Is there any way I can be compensated by the PM as this is clearly a management error? I'm surprised the tenants never complained what was taking so long! I was thinking to negotiate possibly having letting fee waivered. Do I have a strong ground to negotiate that ?

Last edited: 30th Sep, 2017
  7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yes, I'd be onto the manager about poor communication - otherwise, why bother with them? Loss of rent would be the bargaining tool. They can cover it until a new, suitable tenant arrives.

8. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Looks to me like someone has been in the ceiling and walked in the wrong spot .These things are hard to prove-I would get a handyman to fix for $4-600 and get a new PM

WattleIdo and wylie like this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

$3.5k fix is a rort. Even $1.2k sounds high for such a small, easy job for someone who knows what he is doing... small room, brand new plasterboard thrown up in a few hours without having to touch the cornice if they cut the old plaster off carefully and then patch and skim the join.

(Our son paid $5k for new plaster on ceilings and walls (included new cornice) in five rooms three years ago.)

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

What you may find by looking at the picture is--Due to the leak in the roof and it does not even have to be a big leak that whole section under the leak has taken all the water and if there is a un-level point as there will be where the light batten is placed the water has just sat in that spot then collapsed under the stress of the water damage..
    First cab off the rank will be the insurance you have in place ,but before you ring try and link the damage with the storm with dates - time - because the insurance company will have those weather dates on file..

But look at the bright side ,your Tenants could have sitting in that room with their children and the whole lot comes down on them,and the whole elec,s arch up and the fire starts up in the grid line..Only my opinion but that's a total refit of the grid and check the elec's for any water damage..

No one is too blame,mother nature takes no prisoners.."IMHO"..

wylie likes this.
  11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I make PMs pay for this sort of mis management, what the hell happened to your cieling ? Ask for some to be sacked or have the owner drawn and quartered at least.

12. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Very important to determine whether Tenants informed anyone? Past or current PM?

If they didn't, they have breach the Lease by not telling you early to mitigate your loss. Hope you haven't refunded to Bond yet....

What has the PM has to support their claim that it's "wear and tear"?

When you had the roof fixed, was it for the same spot and were you given a report on the final work done!

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  13. Peter P

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. Things are moving along well now.

Here's how things unfolded. We told them we dont want to play the blame game and it would get no where. We will go ahead to fix this but we'd like them to waiver letting fee to help us. They agreed. Moving forward, all communications are now to be in writing via email. For any emergencies, phone call and email. New tenant will be moving in next week. :)

14. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from the photo but does not appear to be the usual staining associated with water (water also tends to "bulge" more and leave different fracture edges to that shown). Look for a footprint on the upper side of that sheet...............either the roofer or the tenant.

15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

How else can you disconnect and remove your Hydro system without being seen ??? :D

Exact shape and size of a size 10 Nike etc.....

I guess you have to wonder what mods etc were being done to be up there, but rain would be low on the suspect list for me too. Anyways, he is moving forward.....