What should I do with tenant

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Proguy, 10th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

@Perthguy
    Whilst u got the result u wanted, and would have still had to spent time rectifying the issues anyway, prob at more cost than awarded, when u add up the time/frustration of prep/court/file etc etc etc (depends what ur worth per hour, time away from work, or paying a PM to do it for you) was it worth it, including financially?

flyhere and Perthguy like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It was. For the Melbourne case I prepared the docs when I would have been watching tv. Nothing lost there. I teleconferenced the hearing which took about an hour. The amount awarded more than compensated my time.

The Perth one took about 4 hours. I was awarded enough to cover the materials to repair the damage, which is all I wanted. Worth it!

All DIY. I self manage. In a former life I worked as a local government bureaucrat so preparing paperwork is virtually no effort and definitely no stress :p

kierank, Marg4000, flyhere and 2 others like this.
  3. Proguy

Proguy Member

The bond is $1500 , if I fix abit myself it might cover it
    Their mum is totally broke , no chance of her being able to pay it
    She is disgusted with the way they left house though
    I just can't work out why take the light globes , especially for family

4. flyhere

flyhere Well-Known Member

If you could fix a bit yourself, then just take the bond$1500 might be the best solution for this case...

wylie likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You must finalise repairs before 30 June or its not deductible if you move in. The ATO has a special rule for when you do repairs after moving in. Their fixed view is all repairs must be incurred and paid prior to 30 June.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

No PM and no insurance. The relates tenancy means it may not even be insured if you did. Lesson in this ? Never again, Its an investmnet not a charity. Hope you had charged 100% rent or its probably also partially non-deductible etc.

7. Proguy

Proguy Member

You don't need a pm for landlord insurance
    Just got to make sure it's all correct lease and condition report / bond e.g is all done legally and by the book
    I.e you can't just have someone move in , no bond ie paperwork and expect to claim on insurance should something go wrong
    I've got the accounting side pegged ,

8. Proguy

Proguy Member

But who steals all the light globes , that's so tight lol

9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

The missing bulbs has me baffled as well.... seriously wtf?

10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

lol @ the light globes, I can see it has irked you big time.

What you describe is not trashed, lot of people live like that & if they were normal globes, do not let it worry you, at around a buck a piece, can't be that much money involved.

Over years, I have collected so many globes it is not funny (new ones), and it is one thing that I find I often forget to take with me to places, so end up buying more (that is irritating), but looking after lights in new buys is something that seems to be the norm.

Just looking over one the other day, it has about 25% of the lights with no globes at all. I am not sure how they moved around the lounge room at night.

One we got from a long time owner, we never realised during inspection, but it had no light fittings at all in lounge, dining, hallway.....but I recall they had lamp stands, had been like that for a long time. Very weird.

The joys of having property :)

flyhere likes this.
  11. Proguy

Proguy Member

Ya it has irked me , I could totally understand some of the globes being blown
    I know it's not trashed as in whole property
    The damage is just careless who gives a crap it's not mine type of damage
    It was filthy before we called them and they organised their mum to spend two days cleaning

Some tenants are their own worsed enemy
    Had they left it clean and not taken all the lightglobes I could have overlooked some of the damage but now I just think stuff it they can fix it all up
    When I asked them why they blamed someone else and said one of them were led
    Told me this other person had Them until I told them their mum said they had them
    And then suddenly they said they could post the light globes back (the ones they apparently didn't have )
    Ah the joys of rentals

12. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Are they young, their first time renting, maybe thought globes are consumables a tenant supplies, even though u put them in for them thought they'd need to supply them at their next place, to save some $'s they took yours.

I had tenants who left with some globes missing, their reasoning was because they'd purchased them to replace blown globes, therefore were theirs.

Maybe they were off their nut on meth.

Half glass full, perhaps ur lucky they didn't also take, or sell, the cooking appliances & anything else not fixed etc

Depending type u need, Bunnings sell bulk pack globes, cheaper than buying individually

flyhere and kierank like this.
  13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side.

Maybe the bulbs won't fit in the light fittings in their new place!!
    Marg

14. dabbler

That's below the belt Marg..... :p

How can he look on the bright side with no working light/s :):):)

flyhere and Marg4000 like this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd tell them it would cost them likely $30 to post a box of light bulbs. Even less if they stomp on them to fit them in a smaller box :D:p. Ask them to pay for new ones into the old rent payment account. You are unlikely to get anything more, either in the post or into your bank account, but heck, I'd at least ask, especially as they offered to post them.

What's the harm?

16. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

This is why we never self-manage.

@Proguy, consider yourself lucky.

I was talking to a couple on Thursday. They bought a PPOR in Logan. Later they bought a second house about 300m away, making this one their PPOR and the first one an IP.

Two weeks ago, a good neighbour next door to their first PPOR (now an IP) called them to advise that the police were at their IP and they better come around quick. They arrived just as the male tenant was being lead away in handcuffs, charged with DV.

They weren't allowed in as the police were collecting evidence. They came back a couple of days later to see how things were. The female tenant had done a runner (I don't blame her), all the household contents were gone. The property internals were absolutely smashed (doors kicked in, massive holes in walls, floor tiles smashed, ...).

All up, it will cost $35,000 to repair. I asked them whether they had landlord insurance. I don't believe they knew what I was asking but they said yes. I asked who did the property management for this IP. They said they did.

I feel so sorry for them. They are young, they work hard, they have their own business, ...

Their last comment to me was they plan to fix up this place, sell it and get out of property investing for good.

So sad.

flyhere and Xenia like this.
  17. Proguy

Proguy Member

Na rented plenty of times before , since found out thee track record is appalling

18. dabbler

Don't laugh, I was just thinking they will go to post office, see the cost, then put them all loose in one of those unpadded plastic cheap satchels, it will shrink in size during transit :eek:

Yeah, that would be enough to kill the property bug for most, many of use here probably lucky that our lessons were not as severe early on.

Need to find this out prior :)

Need to also deal with people who you do not need to see again or deal with in any way if they do slip through the checks, so no family, no friends.

19. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Yeah, we made that mistake back in 1992. We bought our first IP and we rented to friends. Their oldest daughter and our oldest daughter were good friends. Also, both Mums were good friends. Their oldest daughter developed a health issue and the family were doing it tough. We wanted to help so we rented our first IP to them at a reduced rental. Because they were friends, we self managed.

Eight years later, they suddenly stopped paying rent. When asked why, they said they had paid enough.

We handed the property over to a PM. We gave the PM all the ammunition and the PM took our tenants to QCAT. The end result was that they vacated our IP and they were put on a Payment Plan (which they ahhered to and we got every cent owed to us).

Our PM rented our IP immediately for market rent, about $100pw more than we were getting at the time ourselves. Our ex-tenants rented another similar house down the road from our IP, at market rent, over $100pw more than what they were paying us.

That PM is still managing that IP for us 17 years later.

Those friends are no longer our friends but we understand they are still renting (as they are now friends of one of my sister-in-laws).

Perthguy, SeafordSunshine and flyhere like this.
  20. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Wow.

I have an agent for residential properties. I self manage commercial but they are big tenants otherwise I would send them across to a commercial agent.

The cost for an agent is significant but the emotional cost for you to manage can be enormous.

My sympathies.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.