what should i consider re buying property right next to train line. resale, finding tenants, noise,

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by justine77, 6th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

have you bought on a train line. Can it make property vibrate and deteriorate besides also the obvious noise

how much would it lower the price for a house or large apartment please.

people say you get used to the noise and it doesnt bother you

did you regret re resale value when selling?
    \
    was it harder to get good tenants.

did it really affect price growth .

Thank you

2. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I spent some time living about 400 m close to a train line and that was something I did get used to. I would do it again but I would not pay as much as for a property further away.

I would talk to some one (building inspector) regarding foundation deterioration risk for a property close to a main road or train line. If it is a risk, there may be things they can suggest that could help.

3. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

This has been mentioned quite a few times on the forum.

If you happen to sell at a time when the market is booming, you should be ok since people are finding it hard to find any house, so they will take what they can get.

If you lose your job or if increasing interest rates are causing you financial strain and you need to sell and can not wait for the many years until the market booms again and you end up selling during a buyers market (as is normally the case when rates rise and the economy is not so good), then buyers will go for better quality properties which they can get for their money instead, and properties in secondary locations like on main roads or too close to train line will have so few buyers interested that any buyers who come along can offer you obscenely low values and you really have no choice and tend to end up making a loss on your investment.

It doesn't seem worth the risk unless you buy it in a very depressed market where you can be the one to make the obscenely low offer and get it for a huge discount.

wylie likes this.