What renos should/can you DIY vs hiring an expert

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by jodes, 3rd Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

Hi forumites,
    We've just purchased an apartment which we are planning to do a quick cosmetic renovation to and wondering what we can do vs what we should hire out to an expert? Quick background to give you our skill level- we are semi-handy and layed floorboards throughout our PPOR ourselves, can do basic drilling/ sawing /cutting (so aren't totally useless) and super skilled and building ikea furniture :) My husband is an engineer so good at thinking things through. With that in mind, does anyone have any input to whether we can/ should:
    - tile a kitchen splashback (there is no splashback there at the moment)
    - recolour or regrout wall tiles in a bathroom
    - hang floating shelves
    - replace taps/ shower etc

Thanks in advance!

2. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Splashback- have a go you'll be okay:)
    Regrouting: dont DIY you could pierce membrane, chip tiles or worse. Get a pro in and get silicone replaced so it's nice and fresh. Don't DIY silicone in the shower unless you want shower leaks!
    Hanging shelves: DIY, but do expect to argue, especially if hubby asks you to mark measurements or the level on the wall with the pencil. If you mark it wrong you'll likely get snapped at! Trust me I know!
    Taps, I feel your hubby has done these before get him to do it otherwise just buy cheap sets from Bunnings and get a plumber to do it, probably only cost $250 in labour to change all the taps in the house:)

EN710, jodes and Perthguy like this.
  3. evalord

evalord Well-Known Member

Painr walls, door trims etc superboring labour intensive jobs to add sweat equity