Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

What quick/easy improvements would you make to this kitchen?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by sml_nail, 14th Apr, 2016.

1. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

I'm looking to sell my IP in the immediate future and have been looking at what small improvements I can make to add value to property prior to sale.

An old photo of the kitchen:
    View image: w800 h543 7322206 2 pi 150617 080356

Timber venetians have replaced the roller blind and the benchtop was replaced due to tenant damage so is now this colour Laminex

Initially I'll be replacing the taps with a mixer tap and also replacing the cupboard handles with more modern stainless steel ones.

The other things I am pondering but unsure of at this stage:

- Replacing the rangehood and oven with new stainless steel ones.
    - Painting the cupboards with white knight laminate paint. Probably a light brownish/grey so as to somewhat blend in with the tile splashback and current wall colour. The kitchen itself is still tidy and structurally sound.

Given it is a duplex and the target buyer would be either an investor or retiree most likely, I'm wondering whether the investment in the last two improvements would result in much of an increase in sale value.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Gockie

Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

Hi @sml_nail, that kitchen doesn't look too bad to me, if its still in that condition and I think your new benchtop is a better colour. I'd definitely change the door handles (as you said) and as you are looking to change to a flick mixer I'd also look to change the sink to a double bowl construction at the same time.
    Though, I think upgrading to a flick mixer or not may not make any difference in a buyers decision to whether someone buys the townhouse or not. What is the ball park sale price of the property?

I don't mind your doors, white is neutral and that is perfect.

3. skater

skater Capitalist Premium Member

I agree with Gockie. Going by that photo, the kitchen seems in good condition. It is a basic kitchen and the small improvements you want to make would be nice, but are unlikely to make much of a difference in the sale price.

wylie likes this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

it needs colour so it's not a bog stock kitchen, same as all the others in the neighbourhood. Maybe paint the splash back or get some colour in there somehow

Whitecat and wylie like this.
  5. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. The cupboards and splashback are actually more of a cream but besides being not very modern it still looks fine. I suppose if it doesn't attract decent offers I can look at doing it then.

Gockie - indicative price range I've been given is $310-$340K

6. Gockie

I've got a kitchen in my 1.3mill house... probably at the same standard. For a 300k house I wouldn't really sweat it.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm with the others on this. For me, it is just too much of the same colour everywhere, but for that selling point, I'd add punches of colour by putting things on the bench to break up the "sameness". Distract the eye of the people inspecting. Right now there is nothing to take the eye away from the same colour everywhere and this is so easy to change without spending anything. Just add colour in accessories and "look at me" pieces and they won't even notice it is fairly boring.

Whitecat, Lizzie, Northy85 and 4 others like this.
  8. Isaac Sherwin

Isaac Sherwin New Member

Wow ! Your kitchen looks nice. You should put come plants for some decors.

allegria likes this.
  9. Leo2413

Leo2413 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: 1st Jun, 2016
  10. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Don't put in a flick mixer (and therefore need to change sink as well) - just change the faucet and tap handles if you really want to (I wouldn't even do that, to be honest).

Really, my advice would depend on the location of the property and the current value.

11. Leo2413

Agree with @hobo. Above all, if the changes wont make much difference to sale price then that has to be taken into account. I would also look at what similar properties are selling for on the market and any correlation between their conditions and end sale price.

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

You could change the handles pretty easily.
    Painting can be pretty straight forward.
    Maybe some new blinds or something.

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Honestly - perhaps change you handles to chrome then put a bright coloured fruit bowl on the bench ... some little coloured herb pots on the windowsill ... a matching bright coloured tea towel ... and leave at that

Foxy Moron likes this.
  14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Geeze, matching bright coloured tea towel, what are we, made of money?

Wall Street, Lizzie and Marg4000 like this.
  15. Lisa Gavrilovic

Lisa Gavrilovic New Member

I agree with your noted suggestions of door handles but I think it's a very neat and tidy kitchen. Have to think If replacing the oven and range hood will get that investment back when sell the property. Handles are pretty cheap to update it. And splash back does make a big difference. Also just do some accessory staging in the kitchen when go to market. If an investment property and will be bought by another investor will they want to pay more for the extras you do? Good luck with the kitchen

16. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I would put on new handles my cheap ones either and a really nice tap.
    Kitchen is important and for a few hundred dollars when considering hundreds of thousands is worth doing imo.
    People's eyes go to extremities and shiny things.
    handles and taps can create a significant impression that flows over to the infrastructure. But the reverse of that doesn't work.

17. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Why paint tiles that are okay?
    i would be pissed if I bought that. I would then need to replace the tiles full stop.

Same goes for cupboards. Why paint laminate? It's just going to chip off and look real nasty soon..

The cream tiles look alright IMO.
    I know everyone is doing grey and white now but they are is great nick still..

The real question is even if OP does a few cosmetic items to the kitchen is there going to be any real uplift in the potential selling price..

Just make sure the grout, stove and range are very clean. Full stop.
    I don't think it justifies replacing laminate, bench tops, blah blah blah..

allegria likes this.
  18. Leo2413

OK this is from my perspective.

The kitchen looks very plain, cheap and underwhelming. Some colour contrasting and features in the right places that wont cost much and can be done cosmetically quite cheaply and still look good will change the entire look, feel and perceived value of the kitchen.

Of course the OP would have to see what other recent sales went for and compare to see if there is any value to make changes before selling. If it was me though I would regardless. Getting more of an emotional reaction will likely increase $$$

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

20. Gockie

Lol