What questions to ask a painter pls and what brand paint is good pls

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by justine77, 12th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

questions to ask a painter

Brand of paint
    Color
    2 coats
    Repair all cracks and unevenness
    Move all furniture and fridges

My biggest question is what he ll do for dampness rising damp in hall ways

if it's not done properly it will flake witching 2 months

He called yesterday starting the call trying to make me defensive saying

You don't trust me
    Instead of simply telling me what product he ll use for rising damp as I'm not convinced that it will b enough

Everyone's telling me the bricks must b exposed and painted or injected on both sides with damp stop etc

One side is a built in robe so it won't b done
    I don't know if one sides enough and I don't believe he plans to expose the brick and do this properly
    I wish I could pay him for damp wall after 3 months when I see if it flakes or not

Advice pls as he's planning to start tomoro and I have worries

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If you don't trust him and he won't take the time to explain the products he will be using, then don't use him.

However, from your other posts it sounds like you are reluctant to fix this rising damp issue properly (due to cost?).

So there is a risk in trying another option that may not be effective.

Again, if he won't tell you what products he is using (these should be on the quote) then I wouldn't use him.

Did you get quotes from more than one painter?

Phase2 and Perthguy like this.
  3. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

He will use some sort of paint or membrane
    But I hope he won't be insulted that I'm getting someone else to inject each brick with no rising damp right they double brick 3 holes per brick

4. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Do you have rising damp? Or a busted pipe under the house?

5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Stop.
    If it's got to the point where he's offended because you don't trust him, ... alarm bells.
    Also, you need to get the rising damp fixed. That's not a painter's job.
    Plus, it is a business relationship and everything needs to be clear and agreed on before the work begins. You don't need to trust him, he's not your fiance, way too emotional. But you both need to be clear. You need to decide how much you will pay him, when and why before you proceed.
    If you decide to go ahead, the only question I'd be asking is whether he prefers tea or coffee because you need to be there to make sure he does what he says he's going to do.

House, Perthguy and property novice like this.
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

How many quotes did you get?
    Was he the cheapest?

7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Please don't go with him if he is defensive. I just finished painting my house and the painter seemed professional to begin with though after the job started it became apparent he was a complete cowboy. Words he kept repeating were trust me, I'm not here to rip you off!
    Professionals don't need you to beg them to trust them because if they're professional they make you feel confident that they will do a good job by answering as many questions as you have and providng answers to those questions without getting defensive.
    Quit now whilst you have the chance

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia