What price to transfer property from personal to trust for development?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by thydzik, 30th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thydzik

thydzik Well-Known Member

Hello All

When transferring a property from a personal name to a trust for development, what price should be put on the O&A?

I know a separate independent valuation should be obtained for the stamp duty calculation, but I believe the O&A price can be any value?

Priced too low and the trust will have too much CGT tax in the future and the personal owners won't take advantaged of any CGT cost offsets.

Priced too high and there would be too much personal CGT and the trust may not be considered running a business due to non logical purchase acquisition for development.

Or is it advised to get a market valuation and use that?

Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks all

2. Paul@PAS

[email protected] Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Whats a O&A ? You mean a contract I suspect.

The market value substitution rule (s112-20 and 103-5 for property) is required to be used for CGT purposes (since a transfer is a CGT event) and the parties are associates. Stamp duty laws also require non arms length transfers be done at market val and a valuation is required to be submitted by the trustee. This valuation most likely would be used for s112-20

I would be seeking legal and tax advice as the transfer costs may be significant with a tax issue for the trust. The advice should also consider how the trust would finance this acquisition and the asset protection risks and other issues such as quarantined losses that could produce.

3. thydzik

Thanks Paul, didn't know about the market value substitution rule for CGT. so really there is no other way but to get a valuation and use that price on the contract.

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Imagine how big a loophole it would be if you could put whatever value you want for cg purposes.

would be telling my family to transfer everything to me at $1 as i lay dying, and everything flows into a testamentary trust!

5. Paul@PAS

[email protected] Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You arent obliged to use it on the contract. However for duty and income tax purposes there could be implications of using something other than the market value.

thydzik likes this.
  6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney

Also think
    - finance, and
    - asset protection
    - estate planning

It is not just what you put on the contract that counts but what is actually paid

[email protected] likes this.
  7. Terry_w

Tax Tip 153: CGT on Gifts and Under-market Value Transfers Tax Tip 153: CGT on Gifts and Under-market Value Transfers

8. thydzik

Follow up post on CGT. does transferring from personal names to a unit trust, if the same ownership initiate a CGT event?

9. Terry_w

Yes for a unit trust.

thydzik likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

And a higher costbase for the trust as it will also have duty and legals to add

11. thydzik

I believe duty can potentially be avoided if ownership is shown to be the same in a unit trust. but wasn't sure about CGT.