What percentage of community support is required to stop zoning change?

Discussion in 'Development' started by property_geek, 20th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. property_geek

property_geek Well-Known Member

Hi,

I know it is an open ended question the most probable answer of this question is "it depends".

In my area Sydney's inner south-west, the response to a community consultation for a proposed R4 rezoning (high rise 8-12 story) is:

50% against
    10% neutral
    40% for it.

Based on above outcome, what are the chances that the proposal will be implemented?

It may be possible that changes will go ahead but with reduced density (FSR/Height).

What are your thoughts?

2. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Does community consultation ever have an outcome of lets rezone to R4?

I would not think so.

3. property_geek

property_geek Well-Known Member

What is the % threshold negative response above which planning department starts to consider it?

For example if 100% people oppose rezoning they have to listen to people. Right?

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't count on that being the case. How would 100% of "the people" even be counted.

Who are "the people"? Just those who live within a certain radius? Too loose.

I don't know if it helps, but near us was proposed a huge retirement village. The plans showed (from memory) seven storeys fronting the street, and taller towers in the middle. We had no objection to the village itself, but it was going to loom over the street. We went to the community meeting and placed our objections. Many locals went to the meeting, many opposing the looming over the street and the sheer numbers of residents this small block would be holding.

Most were not against the idea of it, but just the scale of it.

Ultimately, it was scaled back and the street facing housing is about five levels with internal tower also lower. I suspect developers aim for very high density, knowing that the locals will object and they probably were quite happy with the end result.

property_geek likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia