What paint colors do people like please. white, off white, light grey, light taup?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by justine77, 9th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

We used Domino for our kitchen island and for our bathroom vanities... I know its in the grey family on the Dulux website but I think anyone expecting a dark grey is going to get a real shock. It's almost a black.

Here is what Dulux Domino looks like in the real world...beautiful colour, but just be aware of how dark it is :)

pennanthills_web010.jpg pennanthills_web006.jpg pennanthills_web003.jpg pennanthills_web011.jpg pennanthills_web026.jpg pennanthills_web028.jpg pennanthills_web023.jpg

au contraire and Westminster like this.
  2. au contraire

au contraire Well-Known Member

Reno looks amazing

3. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Whites with a hint of grey seem on trend...
    Currently using low sheen Taubmans (Secret White) with a little colourbond colour (Windspray) grey for trim/contrast here in Qld for some big bright rooms.
    I used a white with some beige tone from Brinlay Paints in Sydney with some success (Whiter than White).
    Use the Brinlay base as a Dulux base had too much blue in it.....:(

Hard wearing semi gloss washable paint in neutral colours is a good choice for rentals.
    Try finding a colour that can be used on all surfaces rather than using matt ceiling whites.
    This can lower costs when repairing/repainting by using just one colour close to white through the house. Offset any starkness with a nice trim colour that compliments the floor......

4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

@euro73 Thanks. Invaluable post/pics. I've only seen it in brochures etc. Is it just me or does it have a blue tinge to it?

5. euro73

I dont see blue.... but those are pro pics taken for HOUZZ. They have used lots of artificial lighting.

Here are some iphone pics which look more "natural" ...

File 11-10-17, 7 24 13 pm.jpeg File 3-10-17, 9 01 14 pm.jpeg 2017-09-22 16.47.59.jpg 2017-09-22 17.40.27.jpg

Valentino likes this.
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks! Yeah that's a very dark tinge of charcoal if not black...thinking of painting our house exterior with Dulux Domino.

7. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

My house is 40 years old and I have kept the stained door frames/doors/skirting boards etc and used British Paints 'Diamond White' though out and it looks great - has just a touch of grey in it.
    I wanted to keep the character of the house ... :)

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It is very close to black. It's a great solid charcoal but be careful doing much exterior with it as it is a very very dark colour and will absorb a lot of heat and will cause extra weathering.

I've used it as an accent colour externally.

[​IMG]

A more mid grey colour that I like for exteriors is a paint match for Colorbond Basalt.

This is CB Basalt roof with Basalt render

[​IMG]

BTW these are 2 of my go to colours for internal walls

This is Dulux Brume 50% walls with Dulux Lexicon 25% trim
    [​IMG]

This is Dulux Lexicon 25% walls and trim

[​IMG]

Chris Au likes this.
  9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Going to show my naivety here - will it absorb heat if it doesn't get much direct sunlight? The house is in a very leafy pocket.

Also does heat absorption also work the other way round ie in winter, the house retains heat and is 'warmer'?

I also like the Dulux Brume half strength pic you posted...its a lot like Dulux Casper White per@euro73 's house. Well, based upon photos anyway.

Last edited: 30th Dec, 2017
  10. euro73

Brume is a shade or seven darker than Casper White... the grey palettes will do your head in - believe me. Photo's, colour swatches, lighting in your home... all very difficult to get it right. What we thought we would go with ( Tranquil Retreat or Lexicon were two we were keen on based on swatches and pictures online) and what we went with ( Casper White ) were two very different things after we brought in a Dulux Colour Consultant. Spend the $200 bucks of so that it costs to have one of them come to your home for an hour or two and sort you out :) WELL WORTH IT

Colour Design Service | Dulux

Lacrim and Westminster like this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Gosh - love comparing the difference between the pro photos and the camera phone shots. It's all about angles and lighting and "makeup" - the Houzz photos make the spaces look so much larger and luxurious (although is a very nice reno) :)

12. euro73

Oh they really are that large and luxurious...what you haven't accounted for is my crappy photography skills ;)

Lizzie and Westminster like this.
  13. the world is your oyster

the world is your oyster Well-Known Member

Dulux linseed q strength x2 feature walls

14. Cookie15

Cookie15 Active Member

Holy moly what stunning rooms. I love it! Late to the party I know but anyway, can I ask please - are the bench tops Calacatta marble? And the wall tiles in the main bathroom real stone or a digital print?

I used Domino on my front door as a bit of a feature and love it.

15. euro73

The bench tops are Laminam XL
    Laminam | livingtiles

http://livingtiles.com.au/product-category/laminam-xl/i-naturali

Tiles are porcelain from memory .

16. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

I use Dulux Antique White on every IP property. No exceptions. Both ceilings and walls. Makes everything easier. Having same colour on walls and ceiling saves on cutting in. No need to keep records.

17. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

lol

Ceiling white will save you some money if your painting some.....,.I have about 3 colours ans cieling white

18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Eyes can see 4billion colours
    Computer screens can reproduce 16million
    Printing can reproduce far far less (5 colour process)
    Colourblind colours are always wrong ! And you dont know it.

Colour is not something we all see the same. Many see similar colours

I can see two of these : How many can you see ? If you cant immediately see most of them you are colour blind or your monitor isnt working / calibrated. (Most likely colorblind). Some are false positives for colour blind people...Like the last one :) I can see it. And some have two answers...Depending on the colour issue.
    Ishihara’s Test for Colour Deficiency: 38 Plates Edition | Colblindor

:eek: I used to fly planes. I surrendered my license when it got worse. Its not compulsory for a private pilot but I had concerns for reds on blacks or blacks on red which are typical warning messages.