What paint colors do people like please. white, off white, light grey, light taup?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by justine77, 9th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

I love Whisper White and Lexicon Quarter strength. Vivid white is also great - it's actually just the white Dulux paint without any tint in it. In our 1880s terrace we have the lounge, dining and kitchen all in Lexicon 1/4, bedrooms in Grey Pebble full strength with Lexicon 1/4 trims and the bathroom in Tranquil Retreat with Lexicon 1/4 trims.
    I also vote NO WAY to painting the ceiling roses anything but the same colour as the ceiling. Do not even think about it.
    Antique White has a slight yellow tinge so if you have a room with a lot of sun it can look quite yellow. Hog Bristle also has a browny-yellow through it but it can look great in the right room. Up until a few years ago Hog Bristle was the number one choice for new home developers.

Really you need to get a few sample pots and try painting bits of different walls in the room so you can work out which colour works best with the lighting you have.

vtt
    :)

Perthguy likes this.
  2. fantail

fantail Well-Known Member

It really depends on the light. Shades will take on different hues according to the amount of light in the room - if not a lot of light, colours will tend to look greyer or bluer than they would in a brighter room.
    Our place doesn't receive a lot of light so we chose Antique White USA - which is a creamier white than some of the others mentioned here. We are very happy with it as it adds warmth to the otherwise cold-looking rooms.
    A friend wanted grey paint tones so chose from a colour chip and now hates how it's turning out because it looks blue in her rather poorly lit rooms and makes the place feel cold. Worse, it doesn't look good with her creamy coloured furniture.
    A way to make colour selection easier is get sample pots for a few of your choices, paint onto large sheets of cardboard or printer paper and stick up with bluetack in various parts of the rooms and see how the colours look. Move them around at various times of day and with/without lights on.
    NEVER make your choice by just choosing from a colour chip in store or basing your decision on something you've seen on tv or in someone else's place as it may look totally different.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  3. Bricks

Bricks New Member

Have had great success with Dulux hogs bristle and grey pebble on the inside.

Have had failure twice now on the outside when trying to go a sharp grey and ended up with a blue nightmare. Can't believe I did the same mistake twice. I think it was call true grey and still turned out blue. From now on I will only do warm greys.

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Someone I know, who you do not argue with, often says this word "
    taup"

I do not argue, yes is the standard response......

5. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Natural White or Lexicon Full/half/Qtr.
    Hog Bristle was about 10 years ago.

6. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Used Antique White recently in a renovation.... Oops. Did not suit the colour scheme or room at all, very dark townhouse that really needed a vibrant white. I think I need a lady in my life to make these decisions.

We should have used Whisper White!

7. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Renovating a house right now and have used Dulux Vivid White and Dulux Casper White - here are the results

We have also used Dulux Doe against Vivid White in one room, where we wanted a darker shade.

2017-07-28 11.00.51.jpg 2017-07-28 11.01.46.jpg

datto, Martin73 and EN710 like this.
  8. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

@euro73 Dulux Doe looks nice. Can you share what the flooring in that room is?

9. euro73

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 6.50.28 pm.png

10. euro73

2017-07-28 11.02.42.jpg 2017-07-09 12.16.40.jpg 2017-07-09 12.16.53.jpg

11. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Doesn't lexicon have a blue shade in it?

12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Could try Dulux Domino which is a true dark grey

13. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

@Lacrim have used domino? I would say it's more bluish than grey?

14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I've seen it but not used it. Maybe I'm colourblind??

Perhaps also check out Dulux :

• Leadman or
    • Namadji or
    • Klavier

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I've also seen houses painted in black where I live...roof and all. Looks great for the right house. I suppose you don't have to worry about blue tinges if painting it black...or do you?

16. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I just painted a couple of bedrooms in my 1950's IP in Dulux LEXICON, hoping that it was a white- which is how it looked on the colour chart- well it looks freakin' DUCK EGG BLUE' against the white cornices!!!! Lesson learnt the hard way, do not choose off a colour chart- test on a whole wall- all the way up to the cornice. it's the only way you'll know if the colour works in your room/lighting.

Perthguy likes this.
  17. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

YES!!!! Wish i knew this before spending the entire weekend painting. it goes on slightly grey, but dries blue!!!!

18. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Yes, I found the dried colours were quite a bit different to the freshly painted colour :rolleyes:.

I must be old school but Hogbristle-half worked well for me in an IP just painted. May go for Hogbristle-quarter next time, but the colour is neutral enough, while being a little darker to be fairly tenant proof. Have tried grand piano, which has a little more green.

Some great comments and colour combinations here.

19. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Bugger!
    I found that out too in a whole IP. I almost cried as it was such a cold ugly colour

I still use the colour but only in quarter strength and then it’s a really nice white.

20. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Smashed chocolate is a favorite in the Druitt. Commonly seen after the eviction notice is served:

[​IMG]

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia