What Not To Like About Melbourne

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 11th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. FromWatsy

FromWatsy Member

I love Melbourne and consider myself lucky to live here.
    Weather- no worries, it's not Alaska. The cool fresh air in the mornings is good for your health. Better even if you commute by cycling to work via many off road bike paths. You will acclimatize in no time and improve your health and inner balance by enjoying surrounding beauties of many parklands (city trail, main yarra trail, merry creek trail, etc).
    People- main reason to move from Sydney to Melbourne. If you step on someone in a crowd in Melbourne, they will say "I'm sorry". In Sydney, well, they are mostly tourists there - you'll get pushed, it's your fault to get on their way.
    Living expenses - should I continue?
    Crime - sadly, it's much worse in recent years. And it's consistent with the population growth and poor city dev planning. And it's used to be very safe not so long ago -food for thought, what awaits us ahead.
    Bottom line - I would enjoy visiting GC on holidays and recommend my freinds from overseas to stop by in Sydney for a few days. That's it. After looking at the Opera house and a quick stroll over Harbour bge, they can turn around and go back to where they came from.
    as I'd rather enjoy living in Melbourne as it is, no more ppl welcome.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Well come on then, we need to put up more "it's absolutely horrible living in Melbourne" threads to discourage people..... :D

The Y-man

FromWatsy and Bayview like this.
  3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I find that driving at the posted speed limit erases any concerns about revenue cameras.

Dave3214 and The Y-man like this.
  4. Gonx

Gonx Well-Known Member

Melbourne looks like a great place to live but the reason above has put me off in recent years. We were always seeing gangs of youths going on the rampage, looked worse than the bronx from watching it from the tv lounge on the news plus there seems to be a lot of shootings and gang crime but I'm only going by what I've seen on the news.

5. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

True but also has the best roads for driving - check out Reefton Spur-Lake Mountain, Jamieson Rd, Omeo Hwy. Sensational for those keen for a drive or the 4-5 (Victoria) racetracks if you want to really let loose.

Also Melb not good if you don't like sport as you will get strange looks. Not me - I love sport!

The Y-man likes this.
  6. Brickbybrick

Brickbybrick Well-Known Member

Yep. That is just the attitude that got us to the nanny state. As long as we have our sport and alcohol.....its all OK :rolleyes:

7. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Born and bred in Melbourne. After 48 years it was time for a change. No regrets at all moving to South East Qld. I miss two things about Melbourne.

1. People. Most of our friends and some family.

2. The streetscapes. Living near the beach now it is a little like the Mornington Peninsula. No character. We left a street that was a canopy of elm trees. I like deciduous trees and miss the Autumn colours.

I'll never say never, but I would not move back unless it was something pressing that drove me there. Nice to visit occasionally now, but the climate and the lifestyle where we now live is ideal.

Kangabanga and MTR like this.
  8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I love Melbourne.
    The food, entertainment, art in the city.
    Have been there many many times.

MTR likes this.
  9. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Wouldn't read too much into forecasts beyond 3 years. They used to say Japan will overtake USA.

MTR likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

USA is on a roll........ not sure what will stop this boom cycle???? No one say Trump.... he is helping to fuel the boom