What makes this forum so pleasant?

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by jaybean, 15th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I've said this before re; Doomsayer stuff;

I reckon we need them so as to obtain balance and give us all the info with which to make an educated decision.

It doesn't mean don't do things; it means exercise more caution and minimize risk.

I do get annoyed thought when the Doomsayer is someone with no runs on the board at all, and is sitting on the sidelines yelling "lookout!!" to the folks who are doing it.

devank and MTR like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Guess what, we agree:)

3. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

No I don't think you have the definition right. Doomsayers aren't people who predict bad things will happen. I consider myself an optimist yet I'll make many predictions about bad things happening. The difference is a doomsayers are eternally negative no matter what the argument or evidence shows.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Bayview

I'm one of those people that everyone will agree with about something eventually...because I know not much about lots of topics....the benefit of being older.

It's whether you can stand to be around me long enough for it to occur. :p

Last edited: 15th Jan, 2016
    Esel, MTR and Blacky like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OK

I just googled definition that's what came up.

But I understand your point.
    I am thinking more on the lines of balance, its good to have many view points.

What you are talking about is really someone who is always negative I expect is their life and they come on the forum regurgitating the same old same, now that gets a little boring.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Bayview

I used to go on Steve McNight's forum for a while.

It was pretty good - similar with folks attitudes and so on. Didn't leave it for any particular reason; other than I found I preferred Somersoft - the interface and topic range etc.

Oh; and of course; the forumites. ;)

7. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

Only reason I get out of bed in the morning is for internet likes.

Beanie Girl and MTR like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Add that one to your list:)

Sashatheman likes this.
  9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

If a person is permanently postive about the market, I don't want to hear it. I like the people who can see issues coming up. There a couple of "doomsayer" forumites who I really respect and pay attention to.

There are a couple of those around who add no value to the forum. One has created no threads and almost all posts are negative, abusive, degoratory etc. You wonder why those types of people even join a forum like this. Another who doesn't seem to post here any more came to "educate" us about how evil property investors perpetuate poverty and create human misery. That was a real lol but utimately that person had nothing of value to add.

I don't want to hear the lies: property only ever goes up, property doubles every 7-10 years, it's always a good time to buy... etc. Conversely, I don't want to be told that I am a horrid person who is keeping people in poverty. Neither is true. I like all the stuff in the middle, from the optimists to the pessimists. It's great we have the whole spectrum on this forum so we get a lot of points of view.

Beanie Girl, wylie, 733 and 2 others like this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Personally, I stay far away from pessimistic people, have time for optimistic people but end up making decisions from a realist approach.

11. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Because we're all adults who listened as children when our parents said if you have nothing constructive to add to a conversation best say nothing.

Beanie Girl, Jacque and Chilliblue like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Very true.

When I read stuff on the forum ...... " property doubles every x years etc etc", or "a loss is not a loss unless you sell" etc etc......... I know that the person who believes this is either an inexperienced investor because they have not actually been through enough property cycles to understand that this is not fact, or they are brainwashed by gurus spouting this rubbish, or they are lazy, or not interested in the facts because they would rather delude themselves because they then feel they have a risk free product that will never fail.

MTR:)

Beanie Girl and Perthguy like this.
  13. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Wait....
    Property isn't a risk free product that will never fail!? :O You mean to say its an investment vehicle like many others with both possible up and downsides and the risk/reward principle applies to it...
    Oh dear... Someone better tell all these gurus that keep emailing me...

14. Leewei

Leewei Well-Known Member

I have an account on whirpool and it is an absolute nightmare over there.

Beanie Girl, D.T. and DaveM like this.
  15. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

not true...refer to 99% of the posts in the hype Brisbane thread...lol... However, it has delivered.

16. Bayview

Can I just say - having been on the Planet for over 50 years so far - that on average property does double approximately every 10 years - at least; so far, and from my personal experience.

I wish I had been able to hold every single joint I've bought in my life.

Where the discrepancy lies is in how that linear graph actually increases....not a straight line at all.

There are certainly some years where properties fall in value.

Last edited: 15th Jan, 2016
    2FAST4U likes this.
  17. NZ88

NZ88 New Member

I have only joined recently but used somersoft for ideas on many occasions to help me shape my decision or see what others think..only recently did i get the courage to actually join the forum and i love it, many people are helpful and responsive. I like the fact that we are all like minded and can ask a question and receive a genuine feed back! I also enjoy the "Emailing" option here so if you wanted to ask someone something directly you can.

With this forum we can keep one another motivated and help each other with decision making.

Beanie Girl and Simon Hampel like this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That's why timing is far more important than time in the market, for example some markets in Perth have not recovered since 2006.

Too bad for those who purchased in 2006 and still paying interest on loans, and these properties are worth less today. Does that make a great investment -10 years is up end of this year, these properties will not double at the end of the year.

Yes, properties do rise but they also fall. I would rather be buying on a rise, because I will make money, less risk and chances are the goal will be much shorter timeframe. All to their own.

MTR

ellejay and Gockie like this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I would not emailing, they only interested in believers;)

20. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can make this correlation with a high degree of confidence @MTR
    There are too many other non-timing based factors that could have resulted in doubling of bayviews holdings over 10 years that have little to do with timing- factors such as purchase price paid, specific location independent of cyclical activity, new external growth drivers that happen in the future ( eg such as infra, new companies in the area which may be difficult to forsee) etc...