Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

What makes this forum so pleasant?

Discussion in 'General Property Chat' started by jaybean, 15th Jan, 2016.

1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Almost every other investment forum is filled with doomsayers and spruikers and every man and his dog with a hidden agenda. Membership is free. There's no barrier to entry. What gives?

Last edited: 15th Jan, 2016
    Simon Hampel likes this.
  2. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

We have an extremely benevolent overlord. :D

ellejay, Ezzo, Jacque and 4 others like this.
  3. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Maybe he cleans up the crap too quickly for us to notice. I don't know, it just surprised me this can even exist.

4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Hang around long enough, there are plenty of doomsayers here. You just haven't been reading the right threads. Oh wait, maybe you have been reading the good ones and I have been reading the wrong ones. Lol.

But you are right, it is generally a pleasant and productive forum, unlike any other I have seen :)

KayTea, MTR, ross100 and 3 others like this.
  5. D.T.

D.T. Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

We all just get along so well

ellejay, KayTea, Chrispy and 3 others like this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

The people who make it very unpleasant have already been banned?:p

Or perhaps ... this forum is just 7 months old. From the start, a high proportion of us are from Sydney and we all feel rich right now. Give it another 6-12 months and maybe we'll start to feel bearish (especially if Brisbane doesn't live up to expectations) and thus negative sentiment will kick in...:oops:

Or maybe because there's a lot of thinkers who know how to express themselves who really understand property on here and/or just have lots of experience in property investment and have done well out of it...

Or so many of us love Skater's and Simons meetups (and every other meetup conducted everywhere in every other state) and don't want to be rejected from them? Lol

Anyway... proper community atmosphere, and people become friends on here.
    :p

Last edited: 15th Jan, 2016
    Logan, See Change, Hanison and 6 others like this.
  7. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Because people on here have actually done it :). (bought real estate, that is :cool: )

The doomsayers have not generally bought real estate and use the "crash" scenario as an excuse as to why.

as many posts attest to, it is HARD to find someone to talk to about property investing, most family and friends just don't get it, so this forum (and SS before it) provide a great place to hang out

Bran, Hanison, KayTea and 7 others like this.
  8. Gockie

I just thought of one more thing... we are racing to get the most 'likes' like on Facebook, so now we really try hard to be liked.

You couldn't see the likes on Somersoft;)

Lol

9. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

1. The ability to pick and choose who you converse with.
    2. The ability to speak with like-minded (and not so like-minded) people when it suits you.
    3. The ability to not have to speak with annoying people you don't like, and to have to sit and listen while they talk over the top of you and interrupt - unlike in your everyday life at work in face to face.
    4. To hear different opinions.
    5. You can turn it into a "mutual admiration society".

Hanison, KayTea, Adele and 2 others like this.
  10. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

I have wondered this same thing - people here seem capable of mutual respect, of allowing someone to succeed and not trying to tear them down and/or feel hard done by/jealous that it's not their own success. A rare thing!

KayTea, Rclank1422 and Gockie like this.
  11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

People here has better brains? :D

I'd also said, spruikers, doomsayers, trolls, first time posters with dodgy post and no contributions, all would get 'educated' pretty quickly by the member. Right in their own thread if need be. I remember one of the introduction thread :rolleyes:

People have had help from here and in return, they also want to give back when they can.

ross100 and Gockie like this.
  12. Rclank1422

Rclank1422 Member

I've only been here for a few weeks but at first I wasn't sure if everyone was fake and attempting to appear nice and helpful, but it became pretty obvious shortly after that everyone seems to be genuinely happy to help each other as we all march towards our goals. It really is a great place to be.

Travelbug, KayTea, Allgood and 2 others like this.
  13. Jacque

Jacque Buyers Agent and Bookworm, Sydney Business Member

Have to give credit to the original mods from here and Somersoft in ensuring trolls are (eventually) banned, trouble-makers are given the short stick and the longtime and frequent members (some of whom have been around and conversing for some 15 years now :D- OMG I'm feeling old :eek:) have built up a healthy and professional rapport, even if we do disagree with one another at times and engage in some robust discussion.

@Simon Hampel does an amazing job keeping it all ticking, compliant and fair as do the other mods. It's what makes this forum what it is and an amazing resource for anyone in Australia who wants to connect with a genuine likeminded property investment (and all things related :p) community. I think it also helps that many of us have met in each other in "real life" either from this or the SS forum and relationships have formed (as well as marriages LOL) - don't believe there's many online forums that would have necessarily achieved this with success.

14. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

I am a newbie with a lot to learn but have been surprised and impressed with the quality of the discussions. I am still a fair way from achieving what I want but the ability to watch threads and ask the occasional question is great.
    Looking forward to eventually asking some harder questions and getting group advice and direction.
    Most people get enjoyment seeing success and that's what I am seeing here.

15. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

I think this is the main difference.

MTR and Leo2413 like this.
  16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

This. Very much.

In my experience, this site is full of "doers" - people who are actively out there seeking good deals, trying to make money in all market conditions, seeking the next good area to buy in, doing the research and "walking the walk".

Most of the members here are not the types to sit back and just complain about how bad things are without taking action to improve things. They are positive, hopeful, determined and knowledgeable people who are prepared to take calculated risks and want to take responsibility for their own financial future.

This is why I believe in this community.

USC, Travelbug, TheGreenLeaf and 17 others like this.
  17. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

I <3 PC
    I feel so great every time I come on here.

Hey @Gockie Like 4 Like? ;)

Mr Dabolina, Gockie and D.T. like this.
  18. Gockie

Agree with you Simon... and thankyou for running such a blessed forum. Wishing the forum and forumites many years of continued success!

And... we wish everybody well. No need for jealousy. There are plenty of great deals to go around for everybody. Just gotta find the treasures amongst the trash. :)

19. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

Love this forum and you get that community feel when you read the posts. Everyone is here to help each other and grow.And as Simon described it perfectly well.

Gockie likes this.
  20. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist Business Member

Its because most people here have a brain and are sane... many other forums are full of factions who are at war all the time and make it generally unpleasant.

Travelbug, Jacque and Angel like this.