NSW What makes sense in Western Sydney

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by paritosh, 29th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. paritosh

paritosh New Member

We are looking to buy our PPOR but can look for an upgrade in 5-7 years if possible. Family of four - looking for 4+2+2 double-storey house in a nice suburb. Public Transport, School - primary and high, walkability, resale etc. (usual stuff) is important to us. The budget is 1.1 to 1.2 m. We are open to new/little old/brand new homes.

Here are the options we have explored so far with our assumptions. Please correct me and suggest which one to go with. We are open to any other options.

1. Option 1: Buy a smaller home in Kellyville/Bella Vista. (between Norwest and Kellyville)
    · Pros: Nice Schools, Closer to transport, Newer Construction, etc.
    · Cons: Small houses in 300m range priced at 1.3. Not sure if they are worth going out of budget. Also - wanted a bigger home :)

2. Option 2: Buy in Kellyville Ridge, Stanhope Garden
    · Pros: Tick most of the boxes
    · Cons: Older Constructions, homes in my budget are either small or need work​

3. Option 3: Buy in Schofields
    · Cons: No good schools, especially high school​

4. Option 4: Buy in Marsden Park, Box Hill, Rouse Hill
    · Cons: Too far from City, don't want to make my life difficult just to have a bigger home​

5. Option 5: ??

2. gnome

gnome Member

with no offence intended, I find it rather funny when people ask is it a 'good' and 'nice' suburb. What do you define as good and nice? Low number of crime and drugs? To me, crime should only be an issue if you are silly enough to allow for that to happen. So almost any suburb that is within 40mins of travel to CBD is good these days. There has been quite a bit of gentrification that has happened in those so called dont go type burbs. So, the general advice given here is - work out your goals and mandantory requriements and stick to your budget.

Reg schools, this is a big on the list for several parents. imho, if your child is motivated/naturally talented, almost any avg performning comphrensive school will work. I've seen kids who have been to such school scoring high ATARs and making it to the honours list. Agreed, some high performing selective schools have produced brilliant kids but I really dont want to get into the argument of selective vs non-selective, it is quite a sensitive topic hehe. but end of the day, them ATARs dont mean much in 2nd year of uni ;) Just sharing my 2 cents, sorry I couldn't be of much help.

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Welcome to PC.

Bogan areas are out of the question?

Hetty likes this.
  4. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

What about the Western parts of the Sutherland shire for that price range?

Or the revesby/panania area?

5. paritosh

paritosh New Member

None taken. Nice = established. Sorry if I was not clear. Thanks for the tip.

Regarding school - unfortunately, my child is not naturally inclined towards studies, needs a push always. Just being realistic here. I have seen her performing much better when she gets a teacher who pushes her just a little to do better. Agree that it's a big unknown but here's hoping that well-rated schools will have good teachers/competition which will motivate her a little. Not to mention - resale value is better (I guess) with schools with a high rating.

6. paritosh

paritosh New Member

Thanks. Been a lurker for a while :)

Isn't Bogan to far from City? We are both working - currently not working in City but going too far will close the doors to better job opportunities in the city.

7. mpty

mpty Active Member

Bogan (/ˈboʊɡən/ BOHG-ən[1]) is Australian and New Zealand slang for a person whose speech, clothing, attitude and behaviour are considered unrefined or unsophisticated. Source: Wikipedia

8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with lurking lol.

You're right it is a bit far. Cheaper though. And you'll know who your real friends are when they find out where you live lol.

9. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Wonder if, for that price, a duplex in a closer area might perform better than a new house further out. Land area might be bigger for the duplex.

Given that you think Kellyville is Western Sydney, assume anything on the western train line isnt worth suggesting. Seven Hills to Town Hall is maybe 50 minutes. Kellyville to Town Hall is about an hour.

Last edited: 29th Sep, 2020
  10. paritosh

paritosh New Member

What do you have in mind?

11. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Google sold duplexes in Castle Hill and surrounds.

12. mpty

mpty Active Member

I heard that Schofields Public Primary School has improved in recent years due to demographic change. Also the new school building will open next year? There's couple of new schools announced. A new high school may not be far behind..

13. SteffS

SteffS Well-Known Member

Option 5: Winston Hills
    Get a decent 4b house in your budget of 1.1/1.2m
    Great school
    City access via M2
    Central place for Paramatta, Castle hills or Blacktown
    Mall nearby

ndpjai and Serveman like this.
  14. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

North Rocks, Baulkham Hills, Crestwood, Northmead, kellyville North.

15. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

Try upper north shore closer to hornsby (satellite suburb), feasible in your budget.