What makes a Queenslander?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by kcbworth, 30th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

Uh oh, the age-old Queenslander debate! That Mitchelton house looks like a Californian bungalow style Queenslander to me, at the very least 1920s era. But if it’s Ashgrovian I’ve learned something new :D
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-mitchelton-138746031

I’m a Brisbane native who left for Melbourne for the weather and because there’s a lot more happening. But that’s me. Everyone is different. Brisbane has a LOT going for it for a smaller city, a fantastic city and close to incredible beaches (again, not for me, but many others love it). If it wasn’t for the humidity (and the pay) I’d definitely consider moving back.

Whitecat likes this.
  2. Brissy1

Brissy1 Well-Known Member

That's it, we're all different, I chose Brisbane for the reasons you left, climate and pay. Couldn't have made a better lifestyle choice if i'm honest, perfect work / life balance. I'm sure some people even choose to live in Canberra..!!

Last edited by a moderator: 2nd Apr, 2022
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I cannot see anything "Californian Bungalow" in that Mitchelton Queenslander. ;)

Californian bungalows are our favourite style, and we lived in a beautiful one when first married.

Whitecat and Hamish84 like this.
  4. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I think it's the time period the interwar time period was when they were doing California bungalow.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Plenty of CB influences there - the shingles below the veranda columns, lower pitched gable, jerkin head roof on the left side of the building.

As it's a timber house, timber posts are used rather than the typical concrete columns found on brick bungalows.

[​IMG]

Whitecat likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

These are two very different house styles.

Bungalow (brick) and cottage Queenslander with a fancier than usual cottage entrance. Third photo is a larger bungalow (which generally are not on high stumps).

We own a cottage style Queenslander, a gabled Queenslander, have lived in a gabled Queenslander and a beautiful Californian Bungalow. Our bungalow was featured in a full page feature in the early 30s newspapers. It was very similar to (but not as grand as) the third photo. All three styles are quite different (even if they do have a few things in common).

Image 2-4-2022 at 10.30 am.jpg Image 2-4-2022 at 10.30 am.jpg
    Image 2-4-2022 at 10.33 am.jpg

Whitecat likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They are however are influenced by the same design school.

The best reference material is Australia's Home by Robin Boyd - it's been out of print for 40+ years (he's dead & there's no architecture of note since the 70's).

8. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I think its a bit of hybrid between a workers cottage (pitched roof to the front with exposed vj wall cladding) and an inter-war porch and gable, forming the staircase landing..

I think they made a few mistakes, if I'm being picky. The weatherboard between the posts does not suit that house at all.. they're trying to copy the fancy qlders of ascot.
    The butterfly staircase, when done correctly is stunning, but its a major fail on this one.. coming of a side gabled landing.. its just wrong. they should have reinstated the original staircase with the staggered handrail.. like this one
    [​IMG]

Foxy Moron, Whitecat and wylie like this.