What luxury/expensive thing turned out to be worth it (and what didn't)?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by spludgey, 15th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Dysons will turn you deaf too. My daughter trialled one of the new stick vac things and it was really costly and so loud and has a container for dust that is tiny. She took it back for a refund. She then bought a $90 Kmart copy and it was seemingly just as good at a fraction of the cost.

And apparently there is a whole market for fake dysons sold online etc. They did a check she didnt switch products.
    Counterfeit machines

Last edited: 20th Apr, 2021
    The Y-man likes this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Same here!

3. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Mine too. The first one (v3 or something) I got was crap. The v11 is great.

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Ok - I do run a vax Zen upstairs (mainly carpet) which I am reasonably happy with (except the turbo brush did not last long)

I also run an Anko 2kW downstairs - it's not bad as a cheap copy of a multi-cyclone.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/2000w-bagless-vacuum/2446831

I have made a few mods including using P2 facemasks as a disposable layer in the filter pad (so now it should be a pretty good air filter too!) and the motor has not burnt out or lost much suction - and this includes heavy use during a recent reno where we sanded down every window frame of a 3BR house :D (we had the unit connected to the sanders as well as cleaning up afterwards).

The Y-man

Last edited: 20th Apr, 2021
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Mr Angel bought us some pieces from an Amway Queen s/s cookware set in the early 80s. It had a lifetime guarantee and it's still going strong.

My basic Dyson stick vacuum is my fav so far. It's about two or three years old and hasn't broken yet.

6. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Just ordered a Dreame V11 for $359 today, to replace the Dyson V6. Let's hope it's worth it!

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

We've had the V9 for a year. It's been excellent. Its been used a lot, in quite a few very dirty houses. It's easier to clean out than the cheaper Dysons, though not as easy as the top line.

spludgey likes this.
  8. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I had been in the Carpet & Upholstery cleaning business for nearly 40 years, and guess what, not a chance would I ever consider having carpet it in my own home.
    Doesn't matter which model vacuum cleaner you think is superior, you are being hoodwinked, full stop!
    If you could see what comes out of an industrial cleaner of places that are serviced regularly (fortnightly) you would be astounded. Do yourselves a favour and remove the carpet and put down serviceable flooring, and if necessary put in reverse cycle air-con for warmth..... far healthier.

Lizzie, Islay, Bunbury and 1 other person like this.
  9. Gockie

What do you think of air filtration fans?

10. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

While they remove some (not all) unhealthy particles from the air, they do not remove pathogens from surfaces, and unfortunately this is where many problems stem from. Mould being a real issue.

11. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Without even seeing the waste it's not difficult to imagine just how nasty they are. I shudder at the thought of carpet these days.

Would you even bother with a rug?

12. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Run a static mop over timber flooring and see what it picks up. That's the stuff going into carpet.

TAJ likes this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Ferry ride from Woolwich to Greenwich takes 2 minutes but costs over $6 for <1km :eek: FWP.

Tossing up whether it's a luxurious harbour cruise or a rip off. :confused:

14. Gockie

But by road its many, many more kilometres.
    Suppose you could row your own boat?

15. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I have some Wusthof knives that have been very mistreated - I put them in the dishwasher (a big no no) to start with.
    They were 21 years old, bought them in Germany on a Contiki trip.
    The black handle parts were falling off as the dishwashing detergent eats away at them.

They sent me brand new knives under the lifetime warranty!

jaybean, The Y-man and Gockie like this.
  16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Meh! You get the serfs to do the rowing :) I'll sit on the upper deck sipping a Pimms :rolleyes:

Gockie likes this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I had a Wertheim vac, a few years back until, after a decade, it needed to many knocked about bits replacing (like a wheel fell off) ... and stupidly bought a pathetic Dyson instead of getting it fixed.

Worst downgrade ever. Thankfully Dyson died, didn't have the cash, bought an industrial job from Bunnings - works well but still not a dot on the Wertheim

Even tho I was a diligent vacuumer, when I first got the W, ran it over the carpet and could hear soooooo much rubbish being sucked up it was scary.

Will buy another as soon as the bank balance allows (at $1,300) or perhaps a stick ($800) ... and yes ... all floorboards and rugs now but still get "stuff" between the boards on in the rugs, especially living near the beach

18. Gockie

Sorry, what was I thinking?! Yes, you are right. Apologies. :oops:

Lizzie and Scott No Mates like this.
  19. SatayKing

The one item which was expensive (as there are other just as suitable but less costly brands) is a Fissler stove top pressure cooker. No, it doesn't fissile out @geoffw.

Very effective and quick. As soon as the pressure valve starts to move is the time to turn the stove to its lowest setting. In less than 45 minutes dinner is ready. Good piece of kit.

geoffw likes this.
  20. SatayKing

Rowing? How plebeian.

Yacht.jpg

Jess Peletier likes this.