What lockdown would you prefer to see Sydney/NSW have

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Stoffo, 13th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Lockdown options, would you rather

1. A 10 day shutdown of current Sydney red zones

2. A further 4-8 weeks of the current "lockdown"

3. A4 more weeks of the current lockdown, then tighter restrictions until Zero transmission

4. By Friday it will be too late !

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Putting it to the people (this will be interesting :p)

I'm talking a proper lock down, if you don't work for Government, Sydney water, Supermarket/food distribution then you are stuck at home, period o_O

No schools/TAFE, no cafe's or takeaway open, no shopping, only grocery delivery (no StarTrak/TNT/Uber deliveries), plumber or Sparky emergency call outs maybe (I haven't needed either in 8 years, so what's 10 days....)
    JUST THE BARE MINIMUM for us to exist for the infectious period to limit transmission :D

Due to the Delta strain spreading so quickly, would you be happy enough to have a 10 day Netflix break or let the zombies take over :cool:

In my job role I get around, the number of people I see queuing for coffee or walking (exercising) with a coffee is crazy, cafe's must be making a fortune ! I hate to say it, but it's a lockdown "you don't need to go out for a coffee" :mad:

With the news of a worker taking Covid to Goulburn Hospital extension site and the furniture removalists incident don't help !

Worse still, I have a friend (am reviewing this) who lives in Sydney and works for an airline who hooked up his caravan this week and traveled outside of the red zone, just so he can go to Qld if Sydney gets worse, but close enough that if he gets a shift he can drive 2hrs to T2:eek:
    He was refused entry to every caravan park so is now staying in a hotel :confused:

Maybe it's already too late for Sydney/NSW :(

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The numbers speak for how seriously people should take this. Of the cases, there are many hospitalised and/or already in ICU.

Victorian style lockdown is necessary before this gets away.

craigc, Hetty, Bunbury and 3 others like this.
  3. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Hindsight is wonderful in assessing whether a lock down was too soon or too late, to easy or too tough.

I'm glad NSW isn't at the extreme of WA who lock down over a single case, although I'm equally pleased we did sonething sooner than Vic did last year.

Its easy to say shut down completely, but most people have more to life than simply existing to avoid a virus and I think NSW has been balancing that fairly well most of the time and that what we should realistically be expecting.

Observer, MTR and Shazz@ like this.
  4. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

I feel very sorry for Sydney. No more jibes from me.

My hope is that this doesn't damage the population too much whether from health or economic perspective.

Hope they can withstand the extensive lockdown required.

I used to live in South West Sydney as a younger person. I just hope they can keep a lid on it and vaccinate fast.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately at this stage of the game, I am not sure even a 10 day "Melbourne Style" Lockdown will do the job :(

The Y-man

Hetty, skater and Stoffo like this.
  6. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

One that started a week earlier. And followed the Victorian model.

Hetty likes this.
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I should add that I know it isn't "simple"

Things like the bins at a complex being put out/changed that are normally done by a 457 visa cleaner being paid 4/5th's by a company, the executive committee could do this job for a change (the common good) and next time the OC want wanted to cut costs by screwing the little guy they may have more respect for that cleaner earning $19ph :p

I feel for places like gym's and such that can't do takeaway, there will be a shortage of coffee bean soon :rolleyes:

Anyway, am off to the supermarket (via the bottleshop) to stock up on frozen vege's, meat and icecream for a Netflix marathon :D

*note, am under 50, had both Pfizer shots months ago so am not worried about me, but am worried about bringing Covid home to the kids :(

datto likes this.
  8. The Y-man

Unfortunately, even with takeaway, many businesses in Melb couldn't survive, as there simply wasn't enough turnover based on local customers (remembering there were curfews, one person/once a day shopping limit and the 5 km travel).

The shut down came at a massive cost - but seeing what is happening now in SYD, I think many of us have a new perspective on it, and appreciate the actions of Dan vs the indecisive (and sometimes confusing) stuff we're hearing from the NSW gov.

The Y-man

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Jul, 2021
    Stoffo, datto, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  9. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Plus most (all?) of the vic hard lockdown was supported by Jobkeeper. Not the case for Sydney.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

The Prestige likes this.
  10. The Y-man

11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

The genie is out of the bottle. It’s in the lap of the gods now.

Buy yourself a space suit. It’s our only chance.

All of a sudden I feel like a burger with the works from the local takeaway . Back soon.

Lizzie and Stoffo like this.
  12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Finally, pick up a hammock while you are out :D

Scott No Mates and datto like this.
  13. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

@datto. The only thing missing is the burger but give it time. Takes a while to travel 500 km (good value for a $1.)

Spaceman hammock.jpg

datto and Stoffo like this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It could well end up like this.

FB_IMG_1626163651082.jpg

TAJ, Piston_Broke, Stoffo and 4 others like this.
  15. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I feel for Sydney I really do and the 95% of people who do the right thing are suffering now because of too slow reactions from their leaders and because of the 5% of people people not taking it seriously.

Old love the hair sallon owner in Auburn kept running 4 days into the lockdown until police found out.

Idiots using a yacht to circumvent our (QLD) border protection methods...... to watch a bloody sports match.

I find this second one personally insulting, we missed our nephews wedding so as to do the right thing, we had flights booked and we cancelled just 2 days before the wedding as it looked like it could blow up again and these morons choose a sports match over everyone elses safety? How narcissistic can people be?

People who purposely and willingly breech border rules for such pathetic reasons should be copping more than a $4K fine, they are showing a willing disregard for everyone elses safety.

When will people grow up and start doing the right thing not for a reward or a benefit but just because it's the right thing to do.

*Sigh*, So I feel better after that little vent, I found it quite cathartic :).

Last edited: 14th Jul, 2021
    craigc, Observer, Shazz@ and 5 others like this.
  16. The Y-man

TAJ and Dan Donoghue like this.
  17. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

They should have the military stations on every street and use road block to check everyone's movements.
    This until it can be done with technology, which also means increasing the rollout of 5G.
    Licence and ID should be linked to a phone device and made compulsory to be carried with at all times.
    The Australian constitution as it is constitutes a sever health risk and will be cancelled. Courts will be instructed to ignore any lawsuits mentioning "constitutional rights" of free movement or association.
    Vaccines should not be compulsory, but without it you cannot get past the road block at the end of the street.

18. The Y-man

No chance. Apparently Vic's request for extra ADF resources to shore up the defen.... I mean border control has been knocked back. May need to conscript.... o_O

The Y-man

19. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

And as much as I like the check in apps, I have to wonder why they didn't just make a digital card like the credit cards and woolies rewards cards, make it so every time you pay for something it logs, that way you know where everyone has been even if they don't check in via normal means.

pretty easy to set up a receiver at the entry to every venue. Simply bring up your card on your smart device and bleep.

The Y-man and wylie like this.
  20. The Y-man

Seriously, it's probably just as easy to track mobile phones....

The Y-man

Player, Dan Donoghue and Lizzie like this.