What kind of tech is missing in the property industry?

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by sullo, 10th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sullo

sullo Active Member

Hi all,

What do you think is missing in terms of tech in the property industry compared to other industries?

Personally, I think it would be cool for the property industry to have something like simplywallstreet.com but for property market. What do you think?

What else could be useful for investors ranging from die harders to investors who don't want to spend too much time researching?

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There is the issue of variability that applies to property. Not just the property itself but its occupancy issues, and the issues of each owner. eg land tax is based on ownership as are many costs such as duty, surcharges etc. The owners marginal tax rate, the owners age and much more. eg Two owners can seem the same but one is single and paying child support. Another is married with a wife and they both earn big $$$ and have no kids. Affordability and financial capacity is a bigger driver of purchase choice than the property availability and its price.

You see this when buying. Many people buy based on what they can afford.

luckyone likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You could ask the same question about buying a secondhand car. No different really to buying a house.

The Y-man

datto likes this.
  4. sullo

sullo Active Member

Not really, people don't buy second hand cars as investments or to live in them.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

One big difference, a 2007 Toyota Camry is still a 2007 Toyota Camry (no discernable difference with the next one other than colour/condition) but 47 Smith Cl Bogantown with a north facing backyard at the end of the cul de sac with a 20 year old Clarenden project home & drainage easement is different to 49 Smith Cl Bogantown with a south facing backyard at the middle of the cul de sac with a 20 year old Clarenden project home even though both blocks are of similar size, house age, facilities available, proximity to services/shops/transport/paved footpaths/treelined street etc.

datto likes this.
  6. The Y-man

But that's the thing - (on a mini-scale compared to a house) - whether it has been maintained, leaks, chips, condiiton of tyres, cv joints, KMs, etc etc.....

The Y-man

luckyone likes this.
  7. The Y-man

Don't tell @datto that! :D

The Y-man

datto likes this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I do look at motor vehicles from the investment perspective but not so much as a place to live. Not these days.

Unless I go on holidays up the coast. So I could call my car a transportable holiday house. It’s convenient and saves money.

Beats the hassle of booking a motel online when you can just pull over on a street in Toukley and snooze off.

charttv likes this.
  9. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi sullo - as someone who is actively engaged in the property investing and technology space, I think what is missing is something similar to what people use for trading in financial markets (e.g. share trading platforms) - they provide ability to track your share trading portfolio, perform transactions (buy/sell), and research specific stocks. Property investing is a bit different given that the markets don't change or get tracked on a daily basis, and the fact the assets are not liquid. Also, agents facilitate the buying/selling of properties whereas share trading platforms can do this digitally online.

My business PropertyDirector.com.au very much focuses on this area, and is based on the idea of a single dedicated platform for property investors offering products as a digital book keeping platform, giving investors access to research reports and innovative forecasting features.

One other place where people have recently innovated in this area is the idea of 'bricklets' which allows investors to purchase 'part' of a property (sold as bricklets), meaning people can get in to the property market without a massive capital outlay. I see more of these types of innovative ideas being introduced to the market in the coming years and will be staying across this space actively.

10. charttv

charttv Well-Known Member

Hi @sullo

I brought this thread to the founder and CEO of SWS's attention as I know him. He had this to say:

"generally speaking most property investors are not perpetually looking and reviewing the properties in the same way that stock investors are.this is a generalisation I'm sure some property investors are extremely active but compared to the average stock investor there's a huge difference. the average property investor might have a handful of properties in their portfolio where is the average stock investor might have more than 25.potential customers is actually a lot smaller, therefore if such a platform did exist it would need to be far more expensive. the other aspect is availability of structured data which is not the same between property and stocks stocks of companies have to submit quarterly forms and the data is standardised so can be compared which is not the same as properties."

HTH

11. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Something makes tax return easy.
    It needs to connect different PM's accounting software and also our bank and CC accounts.
    Something similar to sharesight.

12. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

i think you need to check the prices of 2nd hand car before you make a statement they dont appreciate

one major difference is you can live in a car but you cant race a house.

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Dec, 2020
    craigc and The Y-man like this.
  13. The Y-man

Ok, been mulling over this - things certainly have changed immensely over the time since i started in property - and that's only 20 years (I seriously mean "only" - many here who have been at it way longer than I)

But even in that time we have gone from newspapers (on paper) every Monday (or Tue?) RE auction results on The Age where we would religiously go through with a highlighter for the passed-ins, using a hard copy Melways, visiting agencies (shop front) to using realestate.com, email alerts, internet maps, streetview, etc.

Perhaps the next step to dev is consolidation of the publicly available free data. In Victoria, I need to go to several different sites to get the info I need:
    • land.vic.gov - 10 year data for suburb median prices and growth rates
    • abs.gov.au - demographics
    • auhouseprices - for properties passed in, as well as latest sale prices
    • realestate.com (or Domain) - for the actual property ads
    • realestate.com (or domain) - for rental ads
    • realestate.com (or domain) - for property price estimate and sales/letting history
    • Google Maps - for the location, amenities, aerial visualisation and Streetview
    • street-directory - for powerlines, bus routes, and other weirdness like major pipelines etc
    • mapshare - property plot size, zoning and overlays, contour map
    • city council websites - street parking permit costs etc
    • PTV - timetables, journey planner
    • findmyschool.vic.gov.au - school zones
    I also need to contact the agent directly at the moment for a copy of the section 32

Data I wish I could get easily (for free of course! :D:D:D)
    • what properties let for - similar to "sold" function on realestate.com but for "let" - i.e. a map view, number of bedrooms, prop type filter for stuff that has been successfully let in the past week/month etc
    • Some sort of heat map to show variance between OTP sales price and settlement vals.
    • Ethnicity/origin map - this was crucial for our last few purchases -when someone did it based on abs data. Great visualisation.
    • General max LVRS vs prop type in the postcode
    • General insurance risk rating for the area
    • Parking restrictions (i.e. street parking time limits / costs etc by map visualisation)
    • OC costs (and history) for a particular dev
    • cars (make/model/year) registered in the area - this may sound stupid, but one of the ways I sus an area out is by the cars parked in the street and in nearby shopping centres/stations. eg whether it's a "merc/bimmer suburb", a "tradie ute" suburb, "20+ year old barely roadwrothy sub" etc.

So I guess bottom line "love to have" is an interactive map with different overlays showing all of the above info....

(I probably missed something too....)

The Y-man

Last edited: 14th Dec, 2020
  14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The "Bogan Line" - mapping tool.

The Y-man likes this.
  15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Impossible with current technology. Its like automating medical procedures. The brain on the end of the stick is where the true work occurs

And I think that is also a element of property investing. Smarts, timing and strategy also play a factor in property investing. And a little luck sometimes. I have seen people with brilliant property forced to sell when life turned sh77y eg lost wife, job, illness etc. I see people plan strategies around maxing debt who are geared up the whazoo forced to sell and also see others who could buy two properties but chase a lower LVR as that is their comfort.

Pingu1988 likes this.
  16. moshkipod

moshkipod Active Member

and make it this tool for FREE

17. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

That's a decent list. Are there any available resources out there which show the addresses/ locations of public housing in a given area?

18. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

No entirely true, each integration is different and that means more than likely client specific or PM specific. It'll be extremely hard to keep on top of when companies change software..

19. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Try microburbs they have an overlay.

craigc and George Smiley like this.
  20. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Thanks. Unfortunately the issue with microburbs though is their data is years out of date.