what is your longest vacancy period?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Lisa Parker, 13th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. private_number

private_number Well-Known Member

Interesting thread.

Are the long vacancy periods due to a whole heap of bad applicants or is it due to no applicants?

My longest vacant period is 4 weeks.

Last edited: 13th Sep, 2017
  2. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Our longest is 4 weeks.

I thought some website publish this "Days on the Market" stats. Been trying hard to find it but to no avail. Any clue?

3. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Wow 6 weeks vacancy in St Albans... I don't find that. I would be looking long and hard at the role the PM has played in such a long vacancy.

4. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I had a 2-bedder in North Sydney vacant for 70 days continuous. Pathetic agent (shouldn't name them, so I'll say Dickson & Spanner) who led me on until I fired them, and hired a new PM who got a good tenant in almost immediately.

My friend living in the apartment across the hallway told me about the first viewing where the agent forgot to bring the keys, and instead banged his fists on the door with over 10 prospective tenants patiently waiting.

mikey7, Lisa Parker and Tom Rivera like this.
  5. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I've never had over four weeks across South East Queensland, with the average being two weeks from advertisement to move in.

Lisa Parker likes this.
  6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

6 months after a property in Bendigo was trashed. Of which 5 months due to PM's incompetence and putting it in the too hard basket. Then a month for new PM to get it fixed and re-let to now excellent tenants.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  7. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Having a long vacancy right now....coming up to 3 months. Not a mainstream place, just a granny flat in Sydney. Usually leased within 2 weeks
    Perfect storm with original tenant doing a break lease, then the PM being hospitalised with no replacement, new tenant cancelled at last minute, then not re-advertised correctly and middle of winter.
    Dropped the rent but so far the only applicants are duds......
    Gotta love property - :rolleyes:

Lisa Parker likes this.
  8. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

DOM are usually used for properties for sale. I haven't seen any data for DOM for rentals. But it would make sense that is should technically available. Perhaps a PM could jump on and let us all know!

Pumpkin likes this.
  9. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Might have finally broken the tenant drought.......approved what appears to be a good application today.
    We live in hope....;)

PM was saying that there had been rent discounting in a couple of nearby suburbs that had a higher vacancy rate and that had attracted more tenants.....I kinda feel they were asleep at the wheel for a time...

Lisa Parker likes this.
  10. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I've had intentionally longer vacancy for various reasons on my personal portfolio, usually due to project management on renovations but generally if it's managed as it's supposed to be and it's a balanced rental market vacancy should not be greater than 4 weeks, all things being equal....which also means landlords should be appreciative of the market conditions and be willing to adjust rents as and where necessary.

Lisa Parker likes this.