What is the role of a mortgage broker ?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Sigemup, 29th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

A good guide in my view is someone that challenges your thinking at the risk of losing the business. A good broker is a doorway, not a doormat.

A well structured loan set up combined with some goals orientation, and an active debt recycle structure may carve 10 years or more off a loan term, and often things like rate come well down in the decision tree.

A recent example is for a borrower new to us with 8 props already, buying a new PPOR

The primary needs were defined by client as low rate. PI, fixed and pay it off asap.

Couple of goals and strategy sessions we ended up with largely IO, an active debt recycling strategy and 105 % borrowing, because there was a good chance the new PPOR would later become an IP.

A product fulfilment style broker would have simply done what the client asked. with the Possible loss of a 62 k tax dedn in interest each and every year reverse compounding.

BID regs coming in Jan will help a bit

ta
    rolf

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Nah, I am just a grumpy old male wannabe investor :p

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

You're not going to get useful information from an ombudsman website, or frankly any other website about complaints. You're not going to be able to figure out what to look out for. Instead be open and honest with the person you're dealing with. If they're not answering your questions openly, move on.

All of the brokers that regularly contribute to this forum are quite good. Average or poor brokers tend to improve quickly or get called out. There's not a lot of property managers here, but odds are the there will be someone who knows of a good property manager in the location of interest, just ask.

Sigemup likes this.
  5. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Absolutely still applies - this is what happened with my previous broker, but I was not quite confident enough to challenge them on what they did. Specifically, when I refinanced, I increased the loan by $20k with a view to investing, but they did not split that portion off the rest of the loan, plus they cross collateralised some of the investment loans. The loan that increased was an investment property, and we moved in when we did the refi, so not the end of the world at that point, but if we move out, I'm not sure we would ever be able to decontaminate the loan.

Subsequently refinanced, and similar to other comments, we got a list of brokers from here. I liked the content @Jess Peletier was providing, and we went with her. Never met in person (she is in WA, we are in Newcastle), but have had video chats, phone calls, emails, etc. I'm very happy with the ongoing support and advice we are receiving.

cheers,
    Inertia.

Sigemup and Jess Peletier like this.
  6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Why are you so focused on what might go wrong using a broker, instead of what can go right?

Why are you focusing on complaints instead of benefits? I feel like no matter how awesome your broker is, you're not going to be happy because you're mistrusting of them.

Maybe you are best off going to the bank - you seem to trust that process better.

Sigemup likes this.
  7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

You have to trust something.
    If you don't trust a broker, don't trust your own ability to assess a broker, and don't trust the opinions of experienced investors, what are you left with?

skater likes this.
  8. Sigemup

Sigemup Well-Known Member

Hi @Jess Peletier

Thank you for the reply.

Not focused much on that ! - as I do not know anything about it, only wanted to get an idea about it to make sure I know the obvious things that someone with experience may already know.

Regards

9. NewSubaru

NewSubaru Member

Looks like that you have been researching the market since early 2019, any bites yet?
    I think you are focusing your time and energy for the wrong reason. At some point, you just have to make a move and progress from there.

skater and Lindsay_W like this.
  10. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

How to choose a mortgage broker? posted over a year ago, seems like analysis paralysis :confused:
    There is no specific direct answer to this question IMO - speak to a few, see who you gel with, go from there.
    Ask lots of questions especially if you're unsure why they're recommending what they're recommending, ensure you understand why it fits your needs and objective.

Last edited: 30th Sep, 2020
  11. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

A rental ?

ta
    rolf

12. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

This is my niche :D

13. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

You're left with a 21 year old kid at the bank advising you.

Jess Peletier likes this.