What is the process of purchasing a new-build?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by KTJH, 24th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KTJH

KTJH Well-Known Member

Apologies that this is going to be a silly question to most people.
    I'm very new to property investing so I'm still not familiar with what the processes are.

Say, I was to purchase a new-build in a good area (for the government $20k rebate) and the build would take 16-20 weeks, how does that work in terms of when I put down my deposit and when do mortgage repayments start?

Assuming I'm taking into account the burden of paying off the mortgage based on rental income, would there be a long extended period where I'll be paying off a mortgage (while the house is being built) without any rental income?
    Are there any justifiable Pros in purchasing a new-build, rather than an existing home and getting rental income much earlier on?

Thanks in advance!

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What do you think are the pros of a new build for investment?

when you say good area, do you mean new, or established area with lots of older houses?

3. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

During construction, just think of your loan like a credit card, everytime the builders invoices you for a job they've done, you'll have to get the bank to pay it and then you'll start paying interest/repayments on it, including your land loan.

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Engage a good mortgage broker to discuss these things prior to making any purchase decision.

5. KTJH

KTJH Well-Known Member

So does that mean that the further off a new-build is from building completion, the worse off I would be?
    I will speak with my broker about options, but just curious to know what the "standard" or common practice is for investors who purchase brand new properties.

Thanks!