What is the point of these estimates?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Propin, 29th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

This has been a annoying me for a while now. What is the point of these estimates? To make you feel like you overpaid? High confidence taking into consideration what the property sold for 6 months earlier? Even ten years ago it sold for more than their lower price range.

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

These figures are based on an algorithm, so it may be a case of garbage in/garbage out.

No inspection or physical being has put their 2 cents into the numbers, compared the property with reality it is simply a plug and play WFG as to what the property may be worth (if the sun is shining but not too hot, the glare isn't in your eyes, the wind is cool on your back, perspiration will evaporate at a comfortable rate, the traffic noise isn't too bad, there are lots/few interested parties, those parties all have short arms and deep pockets, the punters can raise their eyes from their phones for more than a few seconds etc).

If you want a more realistic answer, get a market appraisal or fork out for a paid valuation.

Propin likes this.
  3. Thomacino

Thomacino Well-Known Member

As above, I don't even look at that statistic. Based on median stats which is a guide..

Want to know the value of a house? Market appraisals from agents are somewhat better.. and some good agents get it pretty close.

Then a valuer who's role is to just value

Propin likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Depends what you are using the estimates for.

If you are using them to estimate your net worth, you should always use the most optimistic figure to make you feel better.

The Y-man

craigc, Empire and Propin like this.
  5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Or if you are buying use it as a tool of research for your low ball offer

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the results aren't consistently high or low.

Last edited: 29th Feb, 2020
    Propin likes this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

For that I get a "proper" report from my broker.

The Y-man

Propin likes this.
  8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I’m not looking at these figures for any purpose. That low ball offer was a joke, sorry!

I was just curious if there was any logic to the estimates. I’m guessing they are doing it like this. - 30yr old suburb with majority of homes Totally unrenovated. 80% of sales in suburb are this product. Computer generates a figure. Therefore partly renovated or fully renovated homes are totally incorrect. That’s my guess but as you have all said the estimate is not a good source.
    And there low confidence and high confidence means nothing also,

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The more recent the sale, the more useful these guesses may be. They just work on sold prices with no regard to renovations or improvement costs.

That is why suburbs being gentrified usually rate high on the “most improved” value suburbs - these sites simply compare sale price to sale price, ignoring a possible $200K+ update.

Propin likes this.
  10. StaticSteve

StaticSteve New Member

Recently in Sydney's Lower North Shore, when searching for a property, I found these figures to be typical around $100k lower than what the property actually goes for.

Seems like the estimate would be much more accurate if it were simply the last sold price plus / minus the % increase / decrease for the relevant suburb since the last sale.

craigc and Propin like this.
  11. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes, that’s what totally confused me also with recent sales

12. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

They are ONE tool, and like all data need to have appropriate considerations for use.

IN a warm to hot market, stale ( often 120 ++ days old) Stat based data isnt that useful per se

ta
    rolf