Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

What is the most efficient way to accumulate asset in family trust ?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Kangaroo, 6th Oct, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Well-Known Member

We are in the middle of the road of investing. Currently IPs are all under individual names or joint tenants. I am thinking of moving assets into our family trust for obvious reasons eg, tax treatment and protection. I over heard a bit that you can move whatever under own name into family trust by way of testmentary will, where there will be no CGT and stamp duty. Terry_W had an excellent article in PC. And so far the most efficient way of transferring asset into family trust, I can sort of understand, is to DIE.

Are there any other ways to do the job while we are still ALIVE ? like using SMSF as an intermediary tool ? has anyone done it ? Any comments are highly appreicated.

2. D.T.

D.T. Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

Hiya,

There isn't any other ways of transferring to disc trust unfortunately. You certainly can't go via SMSF, either.

What I would do is keep the ones you have in your name, setup a Trust and buy in that from now onwards (til each reaches a certain point and setup additional subsequent ones).

3. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, how about the following? will it work ?
    1. Invest under own names
    2. redraw from IPs under own names, self lending to SMSF for SMSF to invest IPs,
    3. Keep doing 1 and 2
    4.When old enough, sell the SMSF owned IP for CGT free. Individual gifts the debt to SMSF and then give everything to family trust.

will it work ?

4. D.T.

D.T. Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

Sounds fine except for the self lending to SMSF part. Check with one of the pros on whether that's allowed or not.