What is the impact of the Bushfire 2019/20?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Pumpkin, 9th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

This whole bushfire is a huge disaster, so devastating. I didnt pay much attention a few months ago but as it gets worse and showing up in all the News and Social Media, I have been reading a bit and really shocked with the scope. Had done my small bit by donating some money and prayers. We have always been a low user for water and always recycle. Also pleasing to see there have been lots of assistance and relief programs, including donations from celebrities and other countries' chipping-in.

For this post, I dont mean to be disrespectful or offend anyone, just thinking about the impact of this to the whole Nation. Nobody know exactly what will happen, no crystal-balling, just discussing.
    • Short/No -supply of meat especially lamb. Prices would go up?
    • Increase in insurance premiums?
    • Levy by the Government?

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Australia will avoid the recession some were predicting we were heading for.

Insurance premiums will go up, especially Building, Contents and maybe car, at least in some postcodes.

Ted Varrick, Redwing and Pumpkin like this.
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don't think the supply will be a problem with meat --lamb the link below may give some idea and i was just checking NZ prices and there is no death knell sounding ,just for the Farmer's who i hope insurance will help for those that have cover,the rest will test this government
    Market reports & prices | Meat & Livestock Australia

Insurance will be another cost to factor in,and investors will have zero control as most still carry losses for the past ten years ..

With the levy,in hindsight some are being criticised for their poor performance thinking the problem will just go way and one could argue it could have been handled in a very different way from the start..

Pumpkin likes this.
  4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Definitely thought provoking @Pumpkin.

It's all guesswork on my part but I have been wondering about such things as dairy products - how many head of dairy cattle have been lost and will it be viable to stay in that industry.

Food production possibly with arable land needing to recover - if it ever does.

Then the impact on the towns with lack of business. I have traveled to Batemans Bay for the day as it was around 2 hours each way. With the Kings highway closed for an indefinite period no way would I undertake a 4 hour plus journey each way just for the heck of it. That could also badly affect the businesses of places such as Braidwood. Then what will happen to towns such as Eden, Mallacoota, Cann River and many others.

There is going to be I think flow on effects which have yet to come to light.

Pumpkin likes this.
  5. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Interesting thought....

Let's hope you are correct.

Not sure if I understand your point here...

Ah yes, how can I forget dairy products. What do you think about poultry?

I am a City girl and have no idea of all those towns you mentioned. Let's pray this will pass quickly.

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sorry to up-set anyone ,just the way i think the rural fire services should have been paid from the start ,and we don't need any consultations on key decisions like this..
    I have mates in nth nsw within the rural fire service on 24/7 stand-by ,and as these are bush born and lived all their life in those hills and work for free and one has only one leg ..

Pumpkin likes this.
  7. SatayKing

Can be a very tasty dish.

Jokes aside I really do not know. As I said it's all guesswork on my part but I suspect the ramifications will be widespread. Nobody actually knows yet - unless they are omnipotent.

And there is no reason why you should know of the towns I mentioned. You live far from them whereas I have traveled through and stayed at them for various periods. I suspect it will not be a quick recovery, the fires are still blazing out of control in some parts, and possibly any recovery will not be in the form people expect or hope. It's going to be a loooong time is my guess.

Pumpkin likes this.
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

For the NSW south coast communities, and I suspect many other coastal communities, a major part of their income will occur during summer. I saw one lady who estimated that 35% of her income came in December and January. So even if the business is physically intact, it may not survive.

Stock prices are depressed right now because of the drought. Many farmers have been getting rid of their stock. If the drought were to break in the next month, farmers would be trying to stock up again, and prices would go up.

The Hunter Valley is talking about smoke affecting the flavour of wines. Who knows? It might add an interesting hint of flavour.

People like @Lizzie who farm garlic in the Hunter Valley might get pre smoked garlic.

gman65, Islay and Pumpkin like this.
  9. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Shortage of skilled tradesmen as they repair, build new homes and other infrastructure ...

Last edited: 9th Jan, 2020
    Pumpkin likes this.
  10. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I think Australia will be very busy rebuilding communities and infrastructure. The demand for trades people and other skilled workers will be high. I believe that Australian's are a resilient and resourceful nation of people and we will be back stronger and better.

EN710, Sannie and Pumpkin like this.
  11. geoffw

Yes, this happened in Canberra after the 2003 fires. Many tradies came from other cities, so the shortage wasn't just local.

12. geoffw

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

hahahaha - no - but ... wine harvest is about to start. It will be an amazing year due to the dry conditions - or totally ***** due to the smoke, no telling until the grapes are in the press.

Personally, on our tourist accommodation we lost $10,000 in the month of December from refunded bookings - morally can't "not" fully refund when they cancel due to asthma/smoke or their house on the south coast is under threat or a major one where an international conference was cancelled as, as soon as a government declares a state of emergency, travel insurance become void etc

EN710, Pumpkin, Islay and 3 others like this.
  14. KateSydney

KateSydney Well-Known Member

Hi @Lizzie just wondering if you have short stay rental insurance in case they damage your property or injure themselves?
    And if you do, does it have loss of rent cover in it?
    And if it does, will they pay or it only kicks in if your actual house is damaged in the fires?

Pumpkin likes this.
  15. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Tourism in Australia is expected to dive in the short to medium term, both local and international. This will make it even harder for the communities affected to recover if people stay away.

Longer term there could be the perception that Australia is not worth visiting during the summer period (usually our busiest) due to the risk of bushfires or smoke haze, which could cost the country billions.

Pumpkin likes this.
  16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I predict no more than 5 years of damage to our reputation (due to collective memory issues). That is still a huge hit, but it won't last forever - unless we have other major disasters which perpetuate the issue.

Pumpkin likes this.
  17. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Big job losses in southern N.S.W and affected areas in Victoria for anyone in hospitality and tourism, thats even before you look at a drop in international visitors.
    Many of these small coastal towns would see their population quadruple over the really busy period between boxing day and the end of the school holidays.
    Many are to far away for weekenders away for city folk and will have to wait almost 12 months till the next really busy period.
    The timing of the fires could not be worse.
    In 3 weeks time many of these towns would normally go back into sleepy country town mode till another big influx around easter for a few days.

Last edited: 9th Jan, 2020
    Pumpkin likes this.
  18. geoffw

Even in 12 months, there will be big areas surrounding the resorts with nothing but burnt out bushland, with just bits of green shooting through. They won't be attractive destinations.

Pumpkin and SatayKing like this.
  19. SatayKing

And it is not only coastal regions. I'd include Kosciuszko surrounds as well as areas such as Bright, Omeo in Victoria. Then there is Kangaroo Island which is in deep do do's at the moment.

Pumpkin and geoffw like this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We have insurance for damage - but not for loss of rent. It'd be hard to police as sometimes people cancel, and then the booking gets taken up by someone else at the last minute. It still threw off over $100k in income in the last financial year, so not complaining too much

KateSydney and Pumpkin like this.