What is the buying steps in Vic?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by bsteve, 3rd Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bsteve

bsteve Member

I found a thread for WA but not for Vic, may be I haven't looked at the right place.
    I'm aware each state would be different.

Also recommendations for the team as well please.
    Conveyancer / solicitor. (Would you get the solicitor to do conveyancing work?)
    Property Inspectors
    Pest Inspectors
    etc...

2. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    My steps are
    1. Research - what area do you want to buy, are you looking for capital gains or cash flow etc.
    2. Finance - before you start looking at individual properties get you finance sorted so you know how much $$ you have to play with
    3. Start looking for the right property based on your previous research
    4. Have contracts and section 32 reviewed by a solicitor, add clauses as required to your individual circumstances
    5. Make an offer/bid
    6. Valuation
    7. Settlement
    8. Live the dream

If it's your first time buying you may want to engage a buyer's advocate, make sure you use one that is not a real estate agent in disguise! I know @JacM and @JamesGG are great advocates.

@Mitesh Dedhia from Think and Grow Finance is a great broker who is also active on the forums.

3. frank22

frank22 Well-Known Member

I am looking for any advise on when stamp duty is payable in Victoria ? Is it at settlement or within 30 days.
    Finally , If i have pre approval for $473,000(including stamp duty ) and sign a contract for $450,000 and pay 10% deposit from my funds ,the settlement balance will be $428,000.00 including stamp duty .Can I ask the lender for the un utilised funds of $45,000?.Its an IP

Other than the usual cost of buying ,what other govt fees and charges should I be aware of ?

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Stamp duty in Victoria is payable at settlement.

I'd expect that whoever has set up your pre-approval has taken all this into consideration.

You can only borrow a percentage of the property value, for example 90%. If you buy something for $500k, then 90% is $450k. You can't access the pre-approved extra $23k as this would take the loan over 90% of the property value.

The main purchase cost is usually the stamp duty, but there is also several others such as land transfer, mortgage registration, conveyancing and various adjustments based on holding costs. Allow about $3k-$5k for these.

frank22 likes this.
  5. frank22

frank22 Well-Known Member

Thanks Peter.What I should also mentioned ,lender funding 105%.cross collateral (I know your not a fan)
    In that case ,when settlement takes place ,bal due at settlement will be $405,000 plus stamp duty $23324,total $428324 ,will I have access to the $45000 unutilised amount?
    Can the land transfer fee,mortgage registration come out of loan proceeds at settlement
    I will be cash flow tight after deposit paid
    Thanks

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

They'll likely fund the full loan as described in your loan offer documents. Funds in surplus over the amount required to settle would be disbursed as cash to whatever account you nominated in those documents.

frank22 likes this.
  7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Fiona and her team for a soli

Licensed for all eastern seaboard

Cute as a button, until something goes wrong for her clients and the real tough as nails negotiator comes out.

Folks often come back to me and say, but she charges more than my local conveyancer, and my usual reply is, whatever.......its only one of the largest transactions u will ever undertake, and you wanna " save" a few hundred bucks for someone that cant help with legal matters when it REALLY matters, nah 20 years and a billion in settled loans tells me you need to reconsider this.

Did I say before I dislike working with conveyancers and solis who somehow feel we are the opposition ?

ta
    rolf

8. Rolf Latham

why may I ask pls ??? in 98 % of cases this can be done otherwise unless you bought the bankers/brokers fairytale. Very rare that xcoll is to the benefit of the borrower.

ta
    rolf

9. Rolf Latham

You can but the tax implications im sure your banker/broker has mentioned to you as a general thing, and to seek personal tax advice for this current circumstance.

I expect that the tax peops( which im not) may tell you this is a loss of 45 k since you cant borrow from urself

ta
    rolf