WA What is the Bogan capital of Perth ?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by See Change, 26th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Does this mean Mandurah have some catching up in the next cycle, since they missed out on the 2012-2014 rising market?

On a zoning question, is Koondoola/Medina/Lockridge suburbs the zoning is not gazetted?

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

3. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

MTR , it's easy for scepticism about you local market to spill into a more generalise scepticism .

How's the stock levels going in Mandurah now ?

What sort of returns can you get there now , in the nicer areas and the bogan bits ?

So Mandurah 's considered regional , or outer suburban or so thing in between ?

Not Ballarat but not quite Penrith

Cliff

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Regional wise probably isn't in the agenda but Toodyay is the equiv out of a Mudgee, city slickers come out for tea and crash their motor bikes:p. It's got the highest baby boomer %of population , all retirees selling up from Perth and doing the hobby farm thing walking their alpaca's through town (no joke they walk them down the main St) definately somewhere that will grow with tourism and retirees/tree changers. In 5-10yrs+. Even the premier of wa (whoever that is??) had a block out here.
    1200m2 block going for $60k if you have some lose change ;)

And Its probably one of the best small towns we've come across in Oz, there is something on nearly every weekend markets, festivals, races, knitting stuff.. I have been writing the odd letter to the local paper on our travels this one gets a thumbs up! Some haven't been so lucky

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Seech
    Rents rose during the Perth rise 2012-2014, now its fallen somewhat, similar to what has happened to Perth rents. At the moment you possibly could find properties which wont cost to hold???

I can only talk from what I am seeing, there is too much stock today/now and has been like this for some time.

Investors have not been able to offload stock they purchased in last boom 2006/2007 because prices have fallen back and those who purchased at peak are stuck.

I think lower end properties are selling, but its price sensitive. I would phone Harcourts in Mandurah and get their prospective on the market. Property management is a bit of hit and miss in this area and charge like wounded bull.

MTR:)

Perthguy likes this.
  6. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Mandurah may go up in the long run but surroundings may have a better chance. Halls head, Falcon, Silver sands. There is too much water-front land all round and like @MTR said too much quality stock from a long time ago that developers are still trying to unload.

Mandurah is not part of Perth. It's Peel - Perth's cousin. Nearest activity center is Rockingham. I think Perth has to move quite a bit before Mandurah starts recovery and money is better spent elsewhere in Perth when the market hits bottom.

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

More Pro's to the North and Con's in the South ;)

West Armadale :D

bob shovel likes this.
  8. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

More bogan suburbs - Kwinana, Medina, Parmelia.

Medina is interesting in that you can pickup old units with big blocks for < $250k. Cheaper than most bogan suburbs in Perth as long as you can put up with questionable characters for tenants.

9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It's not just MTR. Mandurah is cactus.

Stock is up, prices are down.

Mandurah is a strange beast. It doesn't fit regional, like Pinjarra or Northam might be. But it's not exactly outer suburban like Butler. There is not a lot of local employment but there are a lot of retirees, so it is kind of like a retirement village/dormitory suburb area. I know, because I lived there! I came to Perth every weekend, for the weekend.

Anyway, I sold my unit in Mandurah in May 2013 for $260k and it just came back on the market and sold after 3 months.... for $260k. That's grim.

JohnPropChat likes this.