What is the approval process for turning my carport into an enclosed garage?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Attila Zoltan, 9th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Attila Zoltan

Attila Zoltan Active Member

[​IMG]

I am renovating with the intention of adding value, having the bank revalue it when im done, and hopefully refinance at the end with some extra equity in my pocket. I do not intend to sell the house, nor does it need more space. My mum will live there alone, with me probably moving in every now and then depending on work/money etc.

So I have this double carport out the front on the place. It has a tiled pitched roof, two solid brick walls, a half height brick wall, and an open-face. I am wondering what I should do with this.

My initial plan was to make some timber barn-style doors that fold open, just to keep my garage things secure. Then I was thinking it would look great if I fixed some plasterboard to the internal brick and painted it. Potentially even a plasterboard ceiling and a few downlights or something. Hoping to do as much of this on my own as im allowed to.

So I called Council and they said even if I am just adding doors, I need to apply for DA. Process they said would be to get a draftsperson to draw up the alterations, then a structural engineer to do something, then I put in for DA and council approves, then I get a building certifier out to inspect and tick it off. Is this the process I would use? What does the structural engineer actually do?

So I just get the draftsperson to draw up my ideas, an engineer to do some checks of some kind, then I apply for DA, then I can build the doors myself, and at the end get someone out to inspect that the doors are fixed properly?

If its relatively easy, then I was thinking about pushing it further. Sealing off the half height wall with some timber, adding plasterboard to the internal walls.

Any tips to point me in the direction of the approval process would be great, as council didnt seem too eager to answer my amateur questions :p

Thanks,
    Attila.

2. Attila Zoltan

[​IMG]

Thats the carport there. Concrete slab, brick walls on 2.5 sides, terracotta tile pitched roof.

3. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

It depends on the council area and then the location. In BCC if it was forward of the building line in some areas you would need a DA. There are zones, overlays and regs to consider

4. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Get an opinion on whether it would actually add value. In some places it does, many it doesn't. You wouldn't want to spend money on something that doesn't add any value.

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I'd avoid council. Night mare stuff.
    I enclosed a similar carport but into an extra living area. They like to make simple things difficult.
    if you just want to make it more secure get a roller door company out to see what they can do for you. not a huge value add putting doors on.

As for the gyprock cosmetic stuff, you can do that yourself.

From the work i did going through the magical land of council, i got the young Muppet trying to throw his weight around. After getting to his supervisor he was keen to sign it off to get things done and tick boxes for them to meet time quotas as i understood. So for your situation I'd be thinking they see it as a nothing type da but something they'll approve same day and lower averages!

6. Attila Zoltan

The doors are something I want to do regardless for security purposes. The adding value part was more any further steps I took, like adding internal finishes to the walls, maybe a ceiling with some downlights and powerpoints etc.

Im just not too familiar with the approval process so dont know where to start. I figured if I get just the doors approved, I can do any internal modifications I want right? Nobody will see beyond the doors..

In terms of adding value however, thats another question I wanted to ask. Considering I don't need any extra bedrooms in this house, and dont intend to sell it but rather just use it to build equity- would anyone consider turning this space into a little granny flat? Or would that be a waste of money?

7. Attila Zoltan

and all this information I can gather for myself, reading through the local council DCP's with respect to granny flats/ carport to garage conversions?